Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LADBROKES ARE A JOKE

Options
  • 21-12-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

i just want to let everyone no what happening to me the past few days...
    i went to my local LADBROKES shop to play a 100 euro win bet on a horse , as i stood at counter the race went off therefor i was about 10 sec to late,,,,,,,, she said the race was off cant take the bet ......... ok, but i wasnt happy when horsae won...... anyway i placed a bet on the 12.40 race in newcastle yesterday time it went off was (12.40:14) i then placed bet at 12.40:39 she took the bet ,,, after my horse was beaten i said that bet was void.... as it was late
    to my amaze she said bet wasnt late....
    i contacted customer care who where a bit confused i gave them time bet went on and time race went off. and the said is was void at first but now say you can be 30 seconds late for 3 mile race............... so today i in 12.50 in thurlas race i went to place a bet 15 seconds after the off and i was told im too late race is off..................

so rules are rules but LADBROKES change rules as they go along .. thank god for paddy power ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

pudzy wrote: »
    i went to my local LADBROKES shop to play a 100 euro win bet on a horse , as i stood at counter the race went off therefor i was about 10 sec to late,,,,,,,, she said the race was off cant take the bet ......... ok, but i wasnt happy when horsae won...... anyway i placed a bet on the 12.40 race in newcastle yesterday time it went off was (12.40:14) i then placed bet at 12.40:39 she took the bet ,,, after my horse was beaten i said that bet was void.... as it was late
    i contacted customer care who where a bit confused i gave them time bet went on and time race went off. and the said is was void at first but now say you can be 30 seconds late for 3 mile race............... so today i in 12.50 in thurlas race i went to place a bet 15 seconds after the off and i was told im too late race is off..................

so rules are rules but LADBROKES change rules as they go along .. thank god for paddy power ..

Just put your bet on before the off time in future and there will be no problem. Don't see the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭pudzy

problem is A) when your horse wins.............. and your bet is late the bet is void .... AND B) if your bet is late and your horse is beaten the bet STANDS.......... joke,,, open your eyes unless you work for LADBROKES see the problem now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Was the first race flat? Newcastle is jumps so it would have been long enough to take a few bets after the off (unless there was fallers)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

problem is A) when your horse wins.............. and your bet is late the bet is void .... AND B) if your bet is late and your horse is beaten the bet STANDS.......... joke,,, open your eyes unless you work for LADBROKES see the problem now

I see exactly what your saying, but by putting on your bets late leaves you open to void and non void and all that hassle. I certainly don't work with Ladbrokes or any other firm nor would i be caught dead in a bookie shop.

If i were you i would set up a betfair account and avoid all shops and everything that goes with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Here's my problem with all of this. ladbrokes wiil take the bet, put it through and give you your docket. It's only when you go to collect they tell you if it's late. Now what bothers me is if your horse loses and you throw your ticket in the bin do they lift it and refund the bet to themselves ?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Why not place your bets before the race goes off? There would be no need for confusion & certainly no need for your childish outburst on here.

I know your type, you're the guy who stands around looking at the screens for a few minutes then when the race goes off you sprint the length of the shop & skip the queue to slam your docket on the counter.

The girl behind the counter didn't make you late. You made yourself miss out on a winner. No excuses & I've no sympathy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

[QUOTE=coopdog85;93531801

I know your type, you're the guy who stands around looking at the screens for a few minutes then when the race goes off you sprint the length of the shop & skip the queue to slam your docket and the 50 cent coin on the counter.

[/QUOTE]
    You left out a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

Problem is there are plenty of lads putting late bets on looking to pull one over on the bookie, writing out purposely vague dockets etc - not saying you are. Why do you keep putting bets on so late?

Of course there are plenty putting on bets late and rightly so in my opinion. if your selection is a notorious hard puller then why not wait to see if he settles. Horse refuse to race,breaks badly, falls at the first e.t.c There is a period of grace and it's advertised to boot. Any edge you can get off the bookies take it for be under no illusions they will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Some sympathy, but all the other outlets do "bets still accepted" for a minute or so depending on the distance of race etc.

So why are you using Ladbrokes?

Also, the poor cashier's job will be put at risk if they are seen to accept and payout on bets that show up late on the system, especially so in the case of Ladbrokes HQ. So look at it from both sides.

It's simple, play early and if tight to off time, ask the cashier to confirm if it has gone through or not in time, and thereby avoid any conflict when it's over.

Lots of shops have the punter who regularly waits and waits for an edge and goes up with a board price written on the docket that has just been shortened. And then get miffed when they are pulled up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I put my bet on early to get better odds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

So basically you are annoyed she told you that you missed the off and the horse won and when she took the second bet (possibly due to your whinging about the first bet).

Would you be here if the first one lost and the second one won?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

You sound like the sort of punter who barges their way through other customers (waiting to be served) to get to the counter as the race is going off, and then complains to everybody when they're told by the cashier that the race is off and the bet can't be taken. Every betting shop has one or two of them, and they're an absolute fcuking pest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Wonder if the poster could have still created this thread if the results went in his favour i.e. losing bet was voided, the winning bet was accepted

I can't understand why you're betting so late?

Are you trying to get the best price or something? If so, why the hell are you using Ladbrokes!?!?! I dont even have an account with them crooks, why use a firm that's giving you 3/1 when you can easily get 4/1 elsewhere

I place most of my bets via the exchange... I tend to get much better prices (tend to back long shots more than favs) whilst having the ability to bet In Play - no worry about missing a bet!

Yes, it would be nice to see some consistency in your case from the bookies, but why put yourself in that position in the first place when you have so many other options to place your stake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Ladbrokes are indeed a joke, but this complaint has nothing to do with Ladbrokes. Late punters will always run the risk of not getting their bet on, and while it makes less sense to do it in Lads (PP and Boyles offer SP after the off for a time depending on distance), the fault lies with the customer not the staff member. If they're seen tk be consistently pushing late bets through the system it can look dodge, especially if there's winners involved.
    oPATCHo wrote: »

I can't understand why you're betting so late?

Are you trying to get the best price or something? If so, why the hell are you using Ladbrokes!?!?! I dont even have an account with them crooks, why use a firm that's giving you 3/1 when you can easily get 4/1 elsewhere

To be fair, price variables don't exist when the race is about to start (save the exchange)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

OP, you're a pain in the hole and I've zero sympathy for you. Just cop on and get your bets on in time. You know the rules, it's nothing new. If you're getting a bet on late you can easily check the time when the market closes versus your bet slip. I'm sure it won't be long before the bookies develop an in shop system where the bet slips are rejected so until then just wake up and smell the java.

On another note, I've always thought that a process whereby the betting was closed 30 seconds or a minute before the official off could cut out lots of the messing, from both punters and bookmakers.
    Obviously, there are lots of holes with a system like this though.
    I also think it could remove the impulse many degenerates have in the shops. The amount of fcukers legging it up to do their 2 euro forecasts at the off in my local is unreal, always the same fellas and you'd want to lay them out sometimes, blaming other fellas when they are late(and the selection wins), giving out to the staff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

I was a shop manager for Ladbrokes back in the day and i can honestly say i used, and was given a good deal of discretion in cases like this.

Sometimes even regular punters would miss the off time of a race.... it happens. I'd have a certain sympathy being partial to a bet myself and assuming there were no fallers or nothing obvious had happened affecting the race i'd give them leeway (win or lose). However, without knowing all of the facts, it seems likely to me the OP is deliberately missing the off time to either 1. gain an advantage or 2. create a bit of hassle. I'd take a dim view of both and its likely i wouldn't have entertained you either.

As others have said cop yourself on or live with the consequences.

PS. The thread title is the only thing i agree with. Haven't set foot in a Ladbrokes shop since i worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

All bookies are a racket.

- they make a mistake => no bet
    - you make a mistake => tough titty

no other organisation is allowed treat consumers in such a one sided way

corny wrote: »
    I was a shop manager for Ladbrokes back in the day and i can honestly say i used, and was given a good deal of discretion in cases like this.

Sometimes even regular punters would miss the off time of a race.... it happens. I'd have a certain sympathy being partial to a bet myself and assuming there were no fallers or nothing obvious had happened affecting the race i'd give them leeway (win or lose). However, without knowing all of the facts, it seems likely to me the OP is deliberately missing the off time to either 1. gain an advantage or 2. create a bit of hassle. I'd take a dim view of both and its likely i wouldn't have entertained you either.

As others have said cop yourself on or live with the consequences.

PS. The thread title is the only thing i agree with. Haven't set foot in a Ladbrokes shop since i worked there.

I would imagine it's the part in red and as far as I'm concerned nothing wrong with it. The deck is stacked hugely in the bookies favor to begin with, so anything you can do to redress the imbalance is fair game. A punter should in no way let himself be led like a lamb to the slaughter by the big firms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Here's my problem with all of this. ladbrokes wiil take the bet, put it through and give you your docket. It's only when you go to collect they tell you if it's late. Now what bothers me is if your horse loses and you throw your ticket in the bin do they lift it and refund the bet to themselves ?:eek:

I worked for Ladbrokes, and I never seen it happening. The cashier would be playing a dangerous game for the sake of a few euro and no-one would see it as a chance worth taking.

That, and you're making a serious accusation that there's a racket going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Bookies are there to ride you up the hole and keep you coming back for more. It's their shop, their rules. Proving them wrong is not easy.

I worked for Ladbrokes, and I never seen it happening. The cashier would be playing a dangerous game for the sake of a few euro and no-one would see it as a chance worth taking.

That, and you're making a serious accusation that there's a racket going on.

So what became of the void wagers that punters didn't get a refund on? If the punter was unaware he was entitled to his wager back, he therefore never asked about it and unless he presented his docket( which he was unlikely to do if it lost) the cashier couldn't refund him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

So what became of the void wagers that punters didn't get a refund on? If the punter was unaware he was entitled to his wager back, he therefore never asked about it and unless he presented his docket( which he was unlikely to do if it lost) the cashier couldn't refund him.

The reality is that the cashiers wouldn't be aware of what docket they can "do" someone on.

Also, if there was a genuine racket going on, you would assume there would be consistent complaints made to HQ. Thus, the person supposedly guilty of wrong doing wouldn't last long if found out, that is unless you think the conspiracy goes beyond the cashiers.

The reality is that the cashiers wouldn't be aware of what docket they can "do" someone on.

Also, if there was a genuine racket going on, you would assume there would be consistent complaints made to HQ. Thus, the person supposedly guilty of wrong doing wouldn't last long if found out, that is unless you think the conspiracy goes beyond the cashiers.

Leaving the cashiers aside here what happens to these void bets that No one looks for a refund on? The race could be on 20 seconds the till will still take the bet so unless you knew otherwise you would assume you were on. This is the problem I have. If the cashier would just tell you at that stage you were late then there wouldn't be any controversy at all. It's the punter thinking he's on, watches the race and goes to collect on what he thinks is a winner only to be told at that stage his bet was late that bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

coopdog85 wrote: »
    I know your type, you're the guy who stands around looking at the screens for a few minutes then when the race goes off you sprint the length of the shop & skip the queue to slam your docket and the 50 cent coin on the counter.
    curioser wrote: »
    You left out a bit!

Usually for the 1:08 at Perry Barr or the 2:44 at Crayford.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Leaving the cashiers aside here what happens to these void bets that No one looks for a refund on? The race could be on 20 seconds the till will still take the bet so unless you knew otherwise you would assume you were on. This is the problem I have. If the cashier would just tell you at that stage you were late then there wouldn't be any controversy at all. It's the punter thinking he's on, watches the race and goes to collect on what he thinks is a winner only to be told at that stage his bet was late that bothers me.

More often than not there's a queue of dockets backed up in the system. Chances are the late docket won't have been translated by the time the customer comes up to collect his winning docket. When the customer hands in his docket it is translated on the spot by the cashier. This is when the bet shows up as late.

It isn't as if the staff know at the time the bet is taken that it is late. Late dockets are voided & are left in the system, it is up to the customer to check tier own dockets. The staff can "keep it for themselves" if they wish to play that game. I can assure you they wouldn't be long about getting caught out. In all my years in the industry I've seen 1 case of a staff member voiding dockets - & they weren't even late bets. The staff member was a bad egg & was caught after fiddling about 6 dockets.

Making that kind of accusation is downright wrong & it's unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

I can tell you from experience that is not the case at all. I'm a cashier in a bookies, how you explained it there is the way I process late bets, I check them to see if they are on time (it's easy to do this, and takes a second). If it is late, most of the time you get 'Ah its jus a few bleedin seconds' or 'That's cos your bleedin too slow puttin it thru'.

Basically what I'm trying to say are punters who bet in and around the off aren't usually shrewd punters looking for an edge, they are messers for lack of a better term.

As for pocketing sleepers, I have never done that nor know anyone who has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Ha good one.....all bookies are the same, will take your money all day long but unless it's cast iron be prepared for a less than smooth transaction cashing out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

I would imagine it's the part in red and as far as I'm concerned nothing wrong with it. The deck is stacked hugely in the bookies favor to begin with, so anything you can do to redress the imbalance is fair game. A punter should in no way let himself be led like a lamb to the slaughter by the big firms.

I'm no big firm apologist but if you push, one shouldn't be surprised when they push back.

If you know you're being screwed the obvious course of action would be to steer clear not try 'to redress the imbalance'. The OP's act of rebellion is just plain stupid.

Advertisement