Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army cadetship

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

As the Irish DF is small and the demand high, completion for places is extremely tough, they literally have their pick from thousands of applicants. What they are really looking for is someone with exceptional leaving cert results and combined with proven exceptional athletic ability...

Yes competition is tough but it's not necessarily exceptional leaving cert results that they're looking for (obviously they don't hurt though). They're looking for all rounders and there are much better ways of showing that than some letters on a page saying how you did in some exams. Once you meet the minimum educational requirements, you've put yourself in a position to prove yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭alistair spuds

Yes competition is tough but it's not necessarily exceptional leaving cert results that they're looking for (obviously they don't hurt though). They're looking for all rounders and there are much better ways of showing that than some letters on a page saying how you did in some exams. Once you meet the minimum educational requirements, you've put yourself in a position to prove yourself.

Re read my post more carefully, I didn't say that at all.
    They are not looking for all rounders, they are looking for exceptional all rounders, and that means exceptional, clearly proven, athletic AND academic ability. And that's exactly what they will get. That won't be any different this year. There are several thousand applicants each and every year, and only 30-40 positions in an average cadet class, depending on the year.

Re read my post more carefully, I didn't say that at all.

I didn't mean to start a debate with you, I just wanted to reassure people interested in a cadetship that they have every chance of proving themselves even without "exceptional leaving cert results".

Brian O'Connell at the Cadet School on RTE Radio 1 - Today with Sean O'Rourke. Worth a listen for any aspiring cadets. (14 mins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭alistair spuds

I didn't mean to start a debate with you, I just wanted to reassure people interested in a cadetship that they have every chance of proving themselves even without "exceptional leaving cert results".

Provided they are not under the impression that an above average leaving cert. will cut the grade without having several other compensatory, relevant (relevant also being a key word), exceptional and proven achievements under your belt. In other words you are on the back foot and having to make it up in other areas straight away. By the very same token an exceptional leaving cert or degree on its own won't cut the grade either. They are not looking for merely above average in everything, or some things. That's what any 15-16 year old aspiring for a cadetship and looking for advice how to prepare, badly needs to know. Regardless if you are a leaving cert student or a graduate, you will be competing against several thousand other aspiring people already with above average attainments, and very similar backgrounds, for a very limited number of places. The time for working on that is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

ambochaser wrote: »
    Probably about a dozen times Id say ,
    Thats not my problem . i communicate on a different level , Im not understood .

My career in the RDF is beyond reproach , my daytime job as a paramedic gets me huge respect ,and money

Most importantly my lucrative pastimes are the envey of all .

Is that the life of a mad looser ???

"Maybe try to get your hands on some emergency services clothing so as to blend in .
    You can always claim you are a "PARAMEDIC" Ive been gettin away with that one for ages ."
    This was your statement on emergency services before your ban and you say you are not deluded.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mallow98

Provided they are not under the impression that an above average leaving cert. will cut the grade without having several other compensatory, relevant (relevant also being a key word), exceptional and proven achievements under your belt. In other words you are on the back foot and having to make it up in other areas straight away. By the very same token an exceptional leaving cert or degree on its own won't cut the grade either. They are not looking for merely above average in everything, or some things. That's what any 15-16 year old aspiring for a cadetship and looking for advice how to prepare, badly needs to know. Regardless if you are a leaving cert student or a graduate, you will be competing against several thousand other aspiring people already with above average attainments, and very similar backgrounds, for a very limited number of places. The time for working on that is now.

what kind of things would you work at? like leadership qualitites and stuff? what things would be good for leadership i know gaa would be a big one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Savage93 wrote: »
    Don't you mean RDF???? you wannabee.

[Mod]
    Oh, I missed this one the first time around. I don't react well to disparagement of the reserve components.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

[Mod]
    Oh, I missed this one the first time around. I don't react well to disparagement of the reserve components.

See my post at 22.12.
    I have the utmost respect for all who serve, full time or part time, with the defence forces or emergency services. I did 10 years myself with the RDF.
    MY comment was disparaging to the poster , not the RDF as explained in my post of 22.12 on 29/12/14.

:):):)

Advertisement