Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army cadetship

Options
  • 20-12-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

just looking for some advice,

I am going to apply after my LC for a cadetship, what are my chances of getting through without a degree? Do they take on many people straight out of school ?

And do they look for any certain degrees or is it just any degree they are after?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mallow98

mallow98 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am going to apply after my LC for a cadetship, what are my chances of getting through without a degree? Do they take on many people straight out of school ?

And do they look for any certain degrees or is it just any degree they are after?

Thanks !

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

You might stand a better chance of getting an answer in the military section on the forum. Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

OP; I think you'll find more answers in this forum. Please note a new charter is in effect.

//MOD

Thanks for that never knew there was a military forum, sorry for any inconvenience .

anyone have any info ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Hi all,

Thanks !

If you haven't already read it, most of the information you'll need about the cadetship is here, and information about the competition is here.

They do take on school leavers and then send them to college after they've completed their cadetship but obviously having a degree in advance is an advantage. At your age, you can apply after your LC and if you don't get in, go to college. While in college, you can keep applying and if you haven't been accepted by the time you finish college, you'll now have the advantage of being a graduate and you'll have experience of what the cadetship competition is like and you'll have shown your commitment and determination to earn a place.

Regarding which degree, it doesn't really matter. They need people with all kinds of skills so better to just do one you'll enjoy/be good at.

thanks! great info

thanks! great info, just one final thing does anyone know what the group assesment consists of ?

For the group assessment you'll be split into small groups and given a hypothetical situation which you have to discuss and come up with a plan within a certain time frame.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 ambochaser

OP I have plenty of experience in the Field of applying for cadetships ,

Pm me if you need exact info ,

My family have serious contacts within the DF especially the Air Corps ,if you interested in that I can arrange and mock interviews .

If you are ever in Athlone or Galway we can show you around the Medivac 139 Heli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭alistair spuds

Hi all,

Thanks !

As the Irish DF is small and the demand high, completion for places is extremely tough, they literally have their pick from thousands of applicants. What they are really looking for is someone with exceptional leaving cert results and combined with proven exceptional athletic ability, i.e. county team, important local/county athletic competition wins etc, national gaisce awards etc. A college degree is not necessarily required at all, as they always like to take in a significant number straight from school in order to more easily mould young minds into the DF way of thinking, and then send you onto the particular university and courses they specifically wish you to attend for their benefit.

If you're not in that top 0.1 % then don't dismiss a career in the rest of the DF, it can often be just as rewarding for the right type of person, and has many advantages over a commission. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking a cadetship is the be all and end all, and if they don't make that they give up. It’s far from it.

Also if you are not tied to Ireland, you can have an excellent career with a reputable military abroad. For a long term career in any military, I would concentrate on achieving and then maintaining, both educational and athletic ability. In fact it’s a lifelong requirement for military service, it doesn't stop when you get in.

As the Irish DF is small and the demand high, completion for places is extremely tough, they literally have their pick from thousands of applicants. What they are really looking for is someone with extremely good leaving cert results and combined with proven top athletic ability, i.e. county team, local athletic competition wins etc, gaisce awards etc. A college degree is not necessarily required at all, as they always like to take in a significant number straight from school in order to more easily mould young minds into the DF way of thinking, and then send onto the university and course they wish you to attend for their benefit.

If you're not in that top 0.1 % then don't dismiss a career in the rest of the DF, it can often be just as rewarding for the right type of person, and has many advantages over a commission. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking a cadetship is the be all and end all, and if they don't make that they give up. It’s far from it.

Also if you are not tied to Ireland, you can have an excellent career with a reputable military abroad. For a long term career in any military, I would concentrate on education and athletic ability. In fact its a life long requirement for the military.
    ok thanks , i play gaa all of my life, represented ireland in sea angling aswell so that should help ! study hard for the leaving so and take it from there , thanks for the reply !

As the Irish DF is small and the demand high, completion for places is extremely tough, they literally have their pick from thousands of applicants. What they are really looking for is someone with extremely good leaving cert results and combined with proven top athletic ability, i.e. county team, local athletic competition wins etc, gaisce awards etc. A college degree is not necessarily required at all, as they always like to take in a significant number straight from school in order to more easily mould young minds into the DF way of thinking, and then send onto the university and course they wish you to attend for their benefit.

Also if you are not tied to Ireland, you can have an excellent career with a reputable military abroad. For a long term career in any military, I would concentrate on education and athletic ability. In fact its a life long requirement for the military.
    ok thanks , i have played gaa all of my life, represented ireland in sea angling aswell so that should help ! study hard for the leaving so and take it from there , thanks for the reply !

ok with the basic education requirements , but thats all they are BASIC , what you need to get a Cadetship is the RITE Stuff in terms of contacts with the people who matter .

Get involved with their PR depts , send them in photos of yourself getting involved in sports , military shows , air shows , lifeboat demos etc/

Also if you live near a hospital where the medivac helis land , get some selfies with the helis and the crews , your name and your face will soon get around .

The Pad at UCHG is usually busy , a great photo opp ,

I personally have made a name for myself there .

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

ambochaser wrote: »
    ok with the basic education requirements , but thats all they are BASIC , what you need to get a Cadetship is the RITE Stuff in terms of contacts with the people who mtter .

Get involved with their PR depts , send them in photos of yourself getting involved in sports , military shows , air shows , lifeboat demos etc/

Also if you live near a hospital where the medivac helis land , get some selfies with the helis and the crews , your name and your face will soon get around .

The Pad at UCHG is usually busy , a great photo opp ,

I personally have made a name for myself there .

WELL WELL WELL , The return of Hopperdave, Chopperdave, *Investment and many other looney persons. I've missed you and your nutcase opinions and stories.
    OP, completely disregard ALL advice (ha ha ha) from this source. This lad is seriously deluded at best.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Savage , you are only jealous of me , my family and my contacts .

DF PR section pay me for my services, do they pay you ?

Savage , you are only jealous of me , my family and my contacts .

DF PR section pay me for my services, do they pay you ?
    I don't think the DF is that hard up to need your talents ( and never will be )

Is this why you have been banned from Aviation and aircraft and emergency services already, you nutcase you :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Are you calling a member of the DF a nutcase ?

Are you calling a member of the DF a nutcase ?

Don't you mean RDF???? you wannabee.
    As for giving advice on cadetships do you want to tell the OP how many times you washed out and why????

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

RDF is still DF .

I still have all my DF connections , where they matter ,

RDF is still DF .

Yeah Yeah Yeah you still have all your DF connections where they matter, in your head :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Savage93 wrote: »
    WELL WELL WELL , The return of Hopperdave, Chopperdave, *Investment and many other looney persons. I've missed you and your nutcase opinions and stories.
    OP, completely disregard ALL advice (ha ha ha) from this source. This lad is seriously deluded at best.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

He sets up a new account nearly every week :D a real walter mitty ....some of his post over the frequencydb where complete mad before he was banned:pac:

RDF is still DF .

Absolutely no disrespect meant to RDF

I know you still have all your DF connections where they matter, IN YOUR HEAD

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I come on here , to offer my advice help and allow use of my connections at the top and the usual accusations of mental illness are made .

Im sure there is a law against such discrimination ,

I fully intend to exercise my rights in this regard ,

I come on here , to offer my advice help and allow use of my connections at the top and the usual accusations of mental illness are made .

Im sure there is a law against such discrimination ,

I fully intend to exercise my rights in this regard ,

Ah come on Dave, your history on boards is hilarious, how many times have you been banned in all your various guises/characters/people in your head??????
    Anybody taking your advice should seek help themselves.
    Care to answer the question asked???????

Probably about a dozen times Id say ,
    Thats not my problem . i communicate on a different level , Im not understood .

My career in the RDF is beyond reproach , my daytime job as a paramedic gets me huge respect ,and money

Most importantly my lucrative pastimes are the envey of all .

Is that the life of a mad looser ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Thats not my problem . i communicate on a different level , Im not understood

[Mod]Perhaps you are, but either way, it's disruptive to here.

Make a useless troll post like the one at 13:15 and you're gone from here like you are from aviation. I remember you from some time ago, I didn't ban you last time, but I won't be mucking around with temp bans either.[/Mod]

Thats not my problem . i communicate on a different level , Im not understood .

My career in the RDF is beyond reproach , my daytime job as a paramedic gets me huge respect ,and money

Most importantly my lucrative pastimes are the envey of all .

Is that the life of a mad looser ???

Men want to be him, women want to be with him.

• Advertisement

Make a useless troll post like the one at 13:15 and you're gone from here like you are from aviation.

Maybe in California time. ;)

Advertisement