Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day Traditions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Macavity. wrote: »
    Big family fight after the dinner. It wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Dreading Christmas. My sister has already started the fighting. Blamed me for a broken Christmas tree. I wasn't taking her moods, so I stopped talking to her. Screw that. That was last week.

So, according to my sister, to get revenge on my sister for giving out to me I stole her bank card. It fell out of her purse and apparently I didnt leave it back properly. She accused me that I had intentions of clearing out her account.

I have to laugh. Karma is a bitch. Her bank card has been skimmed. And I didn't have to do anything.

This year, I'm sitting quietly over the dinner table, reverting back to the bedroom. Not giving the crow a reason to bite my head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Fall asleep in front of the fire, wake up with a cats ass in my face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Steak for brekkie!

This year I've a doggie so a big long walk in the woods will be a new tradition.

Umm... be careful walking in the woods. There are carrot and tree people living there that can pop into your existence and frighten you. You should especially watch out for the carrot people, they can trap your feet and drag you deep under-soil and devour you if you're not observant.

Be careful in those woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

cloud493 wrote: »
    Mass. Walk. Buffet tea.

What is buffet tea??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Annual swim in Salthill at 11am. The atmosphere is fantastic and it's a really good start to the day. I always feel on a high afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

LorMal wrote: »
    What is buffet tea??

Its where your tea (the meal) is made exclusively of bad buffet food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

A family royal rumble at about half 5 when everyone is getting tipsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We've got Christmas day for ourselves this year so it'll be sleeping late, opening presents, smoked salmon on thickly buttered soda bread for breakfast and shed loads of food for dinner, followed by a walk to stop ourselves falling asleep after the heart attack inducing amount of food that gets consumed. Then it'll be a marathon of Christmas specials on tv, starting with Dr Who. Of course there'll be Christmas pudding and probably manage to tuck into some Thorntons chocolates even though I'll be feeling nauseous from all the food I'd already eaten.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

6 cans of cider for breakfast, a few benzos in the afternoon and then topped off at dinner with a couple of bottles of cough syrup.

Lightweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

One thing I remember more than the presents was my mother's offer to all her children that each could decide what they wanted for Christmas day breakfast and she would buy it. I ordered Sugar Puffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

On a serious note .. .

Avoid the mother when she is prepping the Christmas dinner. Lovely lady for the whole year, but you go near the kitchen on Christmas before it's time and she turns into a right battleaxe.

I was helping the mother last year in the kitchen,it resulted in a massive fight and me leaving the house for 3 days!i didnt get a crimbo dinner last year:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

We must be the only family in the history of Ireland that don't buy a whole rake of drink for Christmas! There's usually none in the house. Maybe a bottle of wine for a half glass each with dinner. Couldn't imagine Christmas pissed!

Don't have any traditions really. Just wake up, open presents and chill out all day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We never really used to have traditions but in recent years we've made some.

We get up at around 8am, have a glass of champagne, put on a fry (well, a grill; I can't really stomach anything fried), have that, and then wash up.
    Then we'll sit down and I'll hand my other half his presents, he'll hand me mine, then we take it in turns to open one each.

After all the "ooh"-ing and "aah"-ing and messing around with our gifts, we'll start preparing the turkey.
    There'll be a kids' film on in the background; sit down for dinner at around 5pm.

Flop on the sofa afterwards, stuffed, but at around 8 or 9pm, we'll have room for a turkey sandwich and then the booze will come out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Go for a long "Christmas walk" before dinner. This is a chance for me to have my (probably) only cigarette of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Go to visit the dead people in the grave yards. My buddy is in one, my gran in another. A few uncles and aunts scattered around. its nice to remember them and its gets me out in the fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Frogeye wrote: »
    Go to visit the dead people in the grave yards. My buddy is in one, my gran in another. A few uncles and aunts scattered around. its nice to remember them and its gets me out in the fresh air.

It's been part of the run up to Christmas for me for many years too; I'm an expert on where to buy a resilient Christmas plants that will survive sub zero temperatures well:D

Advertisement