Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology good notes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DarraghFitz98

thelad95 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. When students complain about things to principals, they often do it with little back up or evidence. For example, a common occurrence in a lot of schools is students going to a principal saying 'X teacher is crap, please switch their classes'. How can the principal honestly help here? It's your word against the teachers. The principal may look at students previous exam records from X teachers class and they may be fine (possibly due to students doing grinds and/or putting in extra work themselves).

However, if you get a diary and record instances of how X teacher is crap or X teacher is a bully and get some classmates to sign it as witnesses, then the principal will be forced into action.

I take your point. But do explain how one teacher I know (not thought by) that has been complained about by at least 20 students! The inspectors were in and the Principal got one lad who wasn't even in her class to make a presentation to cover up her poor teaching skills!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I take your point. But do explain how one teacher I know (not thought by) that has been complained about by at least 20 students! The inspectors were in and the Principal got one lad who wasn't even in her class to make a presentation to cover up her poor teaching skills!

I don't know whether you do LC business or not but you obviously don't understand how difficult it can be to prove incompetence and fire somebody. If the bit in bold is true, then you can be rest-assured the principal did that to cover himself.

I don't know whether you do LC business or not but you obviously don't understand how difficult it can be to prove incompetence and fire somebody. If the bit in bold is true, then you can be rest-assured the principal did that to cover himself.

I do LC business,but I must drop it seeing as I clearly don't understand..

You're living in a bubble LAD..teachers like this must be assessed more,how about a yearly review? If her students do poorly as they do on an annual basis,it must be looked into!

Unless of course it's the students fault as you may believe..

I do LC business,but I must drop it seeing as I clearly don't understand..

You're living in a bubble LAD..teachers like this must be assessed more,how about a yearly review? If her students do poorly as they do on an annual basis,it must be looked into!

Unless of course it's the students fault as you may believe..

I'm not living in a bubble, you are. The world doesn't revolve around your Leaving Cert. Can you please tell me where I said it's the students fault? Everyone in the Irish secondary school system gets crap teachers. There was an English teacher in my school who never finished MacBeth and only did 3 poets.

Look Darragh, I'm on your side, there are some horrific teachers in Ireland but there will always be students who end up working harder and/or getting grinds and end up with high grades, which can make the teacher look half-decent so if there was to be a review of their performance, nothing would show up.

The world doesn't involve around my LC

But the quality of students coming out of our education does depend on the Leaving Cert,think of all the potential lost!

What about comparing one business class with another with a poor teacher?

Are you saying there would be no clue as to who the better teacher is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

If, for some reason, a school cannot accommodate a student from taking Biology or Chemistry which due to overstretched resources, happens all over the country, there is no reason why they cannot be pro-active and study it themselves or with the assistance of a grinds teacher or even switch schools. Get over this attitude of 'not being allowed what you want to study in life'. the LC doesn't matter once your eligible to apply as a mature student anyway. Sometimes, entry requirements are only thrown onto courses to narrow down the number of students eligible to apply.

It's unfortunate that some schools can't accommodate every student who wants to do science subjects. I think schools should give priority to students who have an intention to study science as many students take Biology as a 'points' subject.

However, both of ye need to learn that life isn't easy and not everything works out perfectly all the time. And please stop thinking the LC is the passport to life, it isn't.

Sorry if my attitude did indicate that 'doing well in the LC means instant success in life' ... I'm not a believer of that statement. It's obvious that many people are unemployed despite doing what they wanted to do after the LC.

Yeah, schools should assign subjects according to your future prospects, and if more people want to do biology rather than music, it'd be really unfair if biology students were to do music in school because space was full.

That's a waste of resources. Why would you give the teacher more hassle? The students who didn't want to do music, yet do it, are more likely to mess and be less productive in a class they don't want to be. The teacher would be pulling more hairs and all over the place, hence hindering the education of those who want to do music.

I know it's not possible to just squeeze another ten students into full class, but the school should acknowledge this and help the students who want to do biology. They could probably try another teacher to teach the subject (In my school, the PE teacher is also qualified to teach biology) if they have a free period. Maybe research a bit and make a deal with a local grinds school?

If the school can't offer something, it's not entirely the students' fault. THEY WANT TO DO SOMETHING, but the school cannot follow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0C5l9QyE2HjH4Un4hUv7DPlQJhaDsZo-np2j28q7wliQaaGqeQg

The world doesn't involve around my LC

But the quality of students coming out of our education does depend on the Leaving Cert,think of all the potential lost!

What about comparing one business class with another with a poor teacher?

Are you saying there would be no clue as to who the better teacher is?

Does it really? What were the point of the previous twelve years then?

Business is probably a poor example because you can pretty much teach it to yourself but unfortunately the grades may not be massively different because of the reason I mentioned above about students getting grinds and/or working harder.

Not the leaving cert as in the exams but the whole learn process,without it students have nothing to aim for!

Let's face it all education prior to the leaving is geared towards the exams..

And what about people like me who can't afford grinds? We're just expected to get on with poor teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Regarding your first post, if you do the whole biology course before 5th year, it's possible you'll be extremely bored for the next two years and won't be bothered studying. It probably won't benefit you very much doing notes now because there could be some useful information that's not in the book but that your teacher can teach you, but you never know I guess!

And regarding all these other posts, @Thelad95, the leaving cert doesn't have to be the be all and end all, but yes it can definitely be life changing for a lot of people. It's getting increasingly harder, in this country especially, to get a high paid career without a degree. The amount of people who don't do a leaving and are going to go on to become super successful entrepreneurs or whatever is extremely small. Also not everyone who does a PLC will get into their desired course and lots of courses don't have PLC entry options. The places in mature entry courses can be extremely competitive (and also not everyone wants to wait 5 years after secondary before going to college) and post grads are very expensive. Also, not everyone can 'easily teach themselves' a leaving cert subject and a lot of people can't afford grinds and simply moving schools definitely isn't an easy option. The Leaving doesn't have to define your future but it does in a lot of cases and it is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Do you by any chance go to a school in Carlow? I think you might be in my school and I might know what teacher you are talking about. Of course we won't mention any names.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Troxck wrote: »
    There's no point. You're probably just summarising something you don't 100% understand.

Wow. Just wow. Biology is just so dumbed down it's ridiculous. There is nothing to understand. It is so babyish in it's approach that anyone can pick up a book/revise wise in 6th year, put in a decent amount of work (ie 3-4 hrs a week) and come out with at least a B1. I love Biology but hate the subject. It goes into zero depth (which is understandable to a degree) in interesting topics, for example genetics. You get so frustrates when you see stuff like "rna polymerase forms bonds between the bases". You end up asking yourself questions such as: Why does it do that? What chemical property of the enzyme allows it to form the bonds etc etc. There are more clear cut examples that i cant think of which are even more annoying. /rant
    Basically, dont bother making notes, study the day before the test and you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Wow. Just wow. Biology is just so dumbed down it's ridiculous. There is nothing to understand. It is so babyish in it's approach that anyone can pick up a book/revise wise in 6th year, put in a decent amount of work (ie 3-4 hrs a week) and come out with at least a B1. I love Biology but hate the subject. It goes into zero depth (which is understandable to a degree) in interesting topics, for example genetics. You get so frustrates when you see stuff like "rna polymerase forms bonds between the bases". Why does it do that. What chemical property of the enzyme allows it to form the bonds etc etc. There are more clear cut examples that i cant think of which are even more annoying. /rant
    Basically, dont bother making notes, study the day before the test and you'll be fine

I don't study Biology so I cannot comment on the difficulty of the subject but from looking at my friend's books there seems to be a lot of detail. There isn't a lot of understanding but more rote learning, but there is still a lot to learn. The marking scheme seems pretty strict too so no room for waffle. "Basically, dont bother making notes, study the day before the test and you'll be fine" is terrible advice and a terrible approach to the LC, but if it works for you (I doubt it does), go for it!

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Do you by any chance go to a school in Carlow? I think you might be in my school and I might know what teacher you are talking about. Of course we won't mention any names.

PM me. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Troxck wrote: »
    I don't study Biology so I cannot comment on the difficulty of the subject but from looking at my friend's books there seems to be a lot of detail. There isn't a lot of understanding but more rote learning, but there is still a lot to learn. The marking scheme seems pretty strict too so no room for waffle. "Basically, dont bother making notes, study the day before the test and you'll be fine" is terrible advice and a terrible approach to the LC, but if it works for you (I doubt it does), go for it!

That advice might be a little exaggerated but it's not far off when it comes to biology.

For anyone considering doing it, don't touch a textbook there's far too much waffle. Either find notes that follow the subject syllabus religiously, or make them yourself. Each chapter can be summarised into a few pages of bullet points. The marking schemes are very specific so they're your best friend, especially in biology.

Here's a link to the syllabus. There's some notes in it already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Magnate wrote: »
    Either find notes that follow the subject syllabus religiously, or make them yourself.

This. The exam is on the syllabus, not the text books. People often forget that.

Is there an argument that the SEC should start publishing standard textbooks for each subject (as is done in the UK) and stop the swinging mickey contest amongst private publishers who often publish books in a hurry to meet deadlines and without full comprehension of the syllabus?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is there an argument that the SEC should start publishing standard textbooks for each subject (as is done in the UK) and stop the swinging mickey contest amongst private publishers who often publish books in a hurry to meet deadlines and without full comprehension of the syllabus?

Not really. You mean one text book for the whole country? All the publishing companies (and their associated staff and all their political contacts) would have a fit.

Doing it the way they do it allows for different learning styles and circumstances etc.. I rarely used textbooks when I was teaching, mainly because of literacy problems many of my students had, but also because it left me free to teach in the way I wanted and cover things in a more interesting way than the books at the time did. I always preferred the 'learning through doing' rather than 'reading about' approach to history.

It's very easy if you come from a literate family background and have learned yourself by plodding through the textbook, to do the same when you are teaching. It requires a bit more ingenuity when the JC textbook is aimed at a reading age of 13 and the class in front of you are reading at 8 and below. Out the textbooks go and in come much more fun ways of learning, although it does require a lot of extra work from the teacher.

There is no rule saying anyone has to use a textbook, but it's just much easier for many people to do so. You also get people saying for at least one subject I was involved in 'There's no book!' as if that is a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'd have to say that the classes I found more enjoyable were the ones in which the teachers made an effort and used their own notes .
    You can always tell the teachers who are genuinely interested in their students and in my opinion these are the best teachers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I'd have to say that the classes I found more enjoyable were the ones in which the teachers made an effort and used their own notes .
    You can always tell the teachers who are genuinely interested in their students and in my opinion these are the best teachers :)

This is very true. I only ever use the Maths and Physics books for when we need example questions for homework. I don't even have books for Music. My history teacher believes underling the whole page then summarising a chapter is efficient learning, it really isn't and makes the class so incredibly boring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement