Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology good notes

Options
  • 19-12-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Im in ty and doing biology 100% next year and i want to get aheas so im making notes and basically covering the course before i step into a biology class ... Is this a good idea i think the notes so far are accurate (im upto chapter 5 higher level ecology) anyway would ye think its stupid to try do notes this early as they wont be perfect?!i

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Conaaaa wrote: »
    Im in ty and doing biology 100% next year and i want to get aheas so im making notes and basically covering the course before i step into a biology class ... Is this a good idea i think the notes so far are accurate (im upto chapter 5 higher level ecology) anyway would ye think its stupid to try do notes this early as they wont be perfect?!i

There's no point. You're probably just summarising something you don't 100% understand. There's a difference between writing out points from a chapter and understanding a topic and making concise and exam orientated notes based on it.

Enjoy your TY, you have two years to do the Biology course. Of course, there's no harm in looking at the topics you'll be studying but I think writing notes would be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why not get a head-start? I actually admire your enterprising attitude. However, also remember that TY is an opportunity to get involved in new things you may never get a chance to get involved in at any other stage.

I wish I had done more in TY, I just think I wasn't mature enough at the time and preferred to throw papers down the back of class instead of getting involved in the enterprise project or getting a cert in 1st aid or even getting a part-time job. You may never get a chance to do these things again.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

Well im doing these things and in spear time when im bored do biology my only problem is if its wasting my time like when i looked at monosaccharides and disaccharides at the start i was like whattttt but now i get it and ive notes on them and understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

I kinda wanna do this to I wonder could I find flashcards I could make out just so I won't have to go through the bother of making them out next year

First few chapters are managable anyway so i think try it saves time like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

When I was in TY last year, I was enthusiastic and excited to do biology. I looked at many past exam papers and read books covering the material because I was generally interested in that stuff.

I wouldn't recommend making notes IF YOU DON'T understand it. You'll know if you understand it if you're able to answer questions.

Notes should be your own words and style, and you can only do that if you know the stuff. :)

Now I'm in biology, and scored straight A1s for all my exams so far.

Yeah i wouldnt but with ecology and food its self explanatory really?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DarraghFitz98

Any tips DublinArnie?

I'm doing Biology outside of school with the odd grind,thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Any tips DublinArnie?

I'm doing Biology outside of school with the odd grind,thanks :)

How do you find self studying Biology? Can't get into a Biology class at school due to the school being totally unreasonable about timetables and allocation(space) so I'm stuck at the back of a noisy Economics class studying it by myself. Haven't covered too much yet as the lack of assessment is frustrating and it's hard to concentrate whilst having to simultaneously listen to Economics being spewed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

How do you find self studying Biology? Can't get into a Biology class at school due to the school being totally unreasonable about timetables and allocation(space) so I'm stuck at the back of a noisy Economics class studying it by myself. Haven't covered too much yet as the lack of assessment is frustrating and it's hard to concentrate whilst having to simultaneously listen to Economics being spewed out.

Request to study in a different area . School library , canteen area , empty or a different classroom .
    Don't sacrifice your grades because of something you can easily change.

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Request to study in a different area . School library , canteen area , empty or a different classroom .
    Don't sacrifice your grades because of something you can easily change.

Trust me, the school most likely wouldn't facilitate that, as I have to be "supervised", and everything is my own fault as far as they're concerned . The teacher is pretty useless, highly abusive and aggressive and picks on a lot of the class, even me when I am not technically in her class!. It is very distracting though, un-nerving even, especially as I could be working away in an actual Biology class. What's your method for studying biology? I've been using a revision book and past exam papers mostly, referring to the text book for extra information if I need it.

Trust me, the school most likely wouldn't facilitate that, as I have to be "supervised", and everything is my own fault as far as they're concerned . The teacher is pretty useless, highly abusive and aggressive and picks on a lot of the class, even me when I am not technically in her class!. It is very distracting though, un-nerving even, especially as I could be working away in an actual Biology class. What's your method for studying biology? I've been using a revision book and past exam papers mostly, referring to the text book for extra information if I need it.

I'd contact the Board of Management personally because your school fails to facilitate biology for you. Subject choices are life changing in a way, so this is a serious matter.

I don't trust anyone :cool:

You will never know if you don't ask . Perhaps approach someone reasonable in the school about it . Sitting somewhere else really isn't that big of an ask

Is there an option in your school to study during p.e class? That's what I used to do.

Anyway , in my opinion you should at least ask someone in the school to study somewhere else instead of ruling it out . What do you have to lose . Perhaps a teacher you are friendly with , your year head , tutor , mentor or principle . It should be in their best interest to help you .
    Good luck

I find it awful because I don't enjoy biology! Only doing it to cover me as a science subject and I'm doing OL maths so I wanted 7 HL subjects..does Geography count now as a science subject in most places? :)

I find it awful because I don't enjoy biology! Only doing it to cover me as a science subject and I'm doing OL maths so I wanted 7 HL subjects..does Geography count now as a science subject in most places? :)

Apparently in Trinity it is! ;)

Does homec count as a science too? I ffind that crazy.

Apparently in Trinity it is! ;)

Yay ;)

I'm going to ask for the 4th time about whether there's a place for me in the Biology class after Christmas. I'd rather not cause a racquet as they aren't very supportive. I'll just have it get on with my self study Biology at the back of that dreadful Economics class. Hoping for a high grade in Biology anyway as it seems like a more straightforward science then Chemistry ( which and I do and honestly love).

I meant ask to switch from the back of the economics class to another classroom or somewhere like the library . As someone who does a lot of study , during the lc and now in college , I understand how difficult it is to get work done in a noisy disruptive environment . Can you study in the library / a different classroom instead ?

No harm in asking I guess, but the authorities don't like you exposing anything wrong with the school or having an issue with something and I know this too well from past experience. Trust me you'd know if you were a student there that there's certain lines you don't cross!.

It's a pity that a students voice is so often ignored!

Oh I could write a book about them!. Suppose you have to "respect" authority to get through the education system.

Now don't get me wrong I respect teachers and many of them do a great job! Some of them need to act as humans though and use common sense for the good of the students!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm honestly thinking of starting a new account to give the full picture :P Shouldn't have used my name..

I'd contact the Board of Management personally because your school fails to facilitate biology for you. Subject choices are life changing in a way, so this is a serious matter.
    I appreciate you having the same concerns as me but unfortunately the school don't give a doss about student welfare and I don't think it would be taken seriously as I know from past experience they are defensive about their decisions.

I'm gonna be honest, you're situation regarding Biology is unfortunate but you're both coming across as quite immature here in your attitudes towards the situation. Every single school in the country is stretched for resources and they do their best to accommodate as many students as possible but sometimes due to timetable restraints and/or class sizes, they can't accommodate everyone. The reason they are 'defensive about their decisions' is that a lot of the time, they cannot be reversed.

@DublinArnie, the fact you've described LC subject choices as 'life-changing' is a perfect example of how much the Leaving Cert is over-hyped by some people. Getting a call at 4am on a Tuesday night telling you a family member has been killed in a road-collision is life changing. Being diagnosed with cancer is life-changing. Keep things in perspective.

@TheEdgeofGlory, this is not a student welfare issue, in fact I would seriously question your understanding of the term welfare if you think it is. Again, try keep things in perspective.

It's a pity that a students voice is so often ignored!

Not necessarily. When students complain about things to principals, they often do it with little back up or evidence. For example, a common occurrence in a lot of schools is students going to a principal saying 'X teacher is crap, please switch their classes'. How can the principal honestly help here? It's your word against the teachers. The principal may look at students previous exam records from X teachers class and they may be fine (possibly due to students doing grinds and/or putting in extra work themselves).

However, if you get a diary and record instances of how X teacher is crap or X teacher is a bully and get some classmates to sign it as witnesses, then the principal will be forced into action.

Leaving Cert subject choices are in no way life changing. The Leaving Cert is in no way life changing. It's an overhyped annual exam that works for some and not for others.

Troxck wrote: »
    Leaving Cert subject choices are in no way life changing. The Leaving Cert is in no way life changing. It's an overhyped annual exam that works for some and not for others.

I would disagree . The course you get in college will determine your job oportunities in the future which ultimately decides a lot of things .e.g the people you will meet , friends you make , relationships , salary , lifestyle.

If you don't do a good leaving cert it limits what you can do . You can't do certain courses , you can't get certain jobs , your income will be limited. Explain to me how this isn't life changing ?

Troxck wrote: »

If you do not do science subjects, and you want to do science related course at third level - how do you do that? Your lack of science subjects hinder your chances for science/medicine at third level.

Even engineering at most places require a pass at Higher Maths.

I see that as life changing, not being allowed what you want to study in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Biology classes are limited to 24 students. So are other practical subjects. Not the fault of the school.
    Also should be in class during class time.

I would disagree . The course you get in college will determine your job oportunities in the future which ultimately decides a lot of things .e.g the people you will meet , friends you make , relationships , salary , lifestyle.

If you don't do a good leaving cert it limits what you can do . You can't do certain courses , you can't get certain jobs , your income will be limited. Explain to me how this isn't life changing ?

There are many alternatives to getting a good LC. Of course, it's easier if you do get a good one but if you don't, there are options out there for people. If you base your life success on one terminal exam, fine. That's just not how I see it.

If you do not do science subjects, and you want to do science related course at third level - how do you do that? Your lack of science subjects hinder your chances for science/medicine at third level.

You can get into certain Engineering courses with Pass Maths. I agree with you, not keeping on a certain subject will hinder you at some stage but there are so many options after the LC. I know someone who didn't keep on subjects for Vetinary Medicine, did a PLC which eventually led to it. It took longer than they wanted but they got their ultimate goal.

• Advertisement

There's so much naívety in this post, I don't even know where to begin. I just suggest you go have a talk with your guidance counsellor or parents if you honestly believe what you're saying here.

If, for some reason, a school cannot accommodate a student from taking Biology or Chemistry which due to overstretched resources, happens all over the country, there is no reason why they cannot be pro-active and study it themselves or with the assistance of a grinds teacher or even switch schools. Get over this attitude of 'not being allowed what you want to study in life'. the LC doesn't matter once your eligible to apply as a mature student anyway. Sometimes, entry requirements are only thrown onto courses to narrow down the number of students eligible to apply.

It's unfortunate that some schools can't accommodate every student who wants to do science subjects. I think schools should give priority to students who have an intention to study science as many students take Biology as a 'points' subject.

However, both of ye need to learn that life isn't easy and not everything works out perfectly all the time. And please stop thinking the LC is the passport to life, it isn't.

Advertisement