Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head or Heart rule: help me chose house

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Go for house A. You said you think it's perfect and you only live once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Deffo house B if it's just decor that's the difference. We did similar 2 years ago, allocated the money for the bits we (I) hated and did all the bits up front. I think if you don't do the work right away maybe you never will and it will rankle at you, but if you commit to it you'll have the place just to your own taste and save a packet! Good luck whichever way you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Thanks all, well it seems most of you think house B and use the 10k to put our own stamp on it. We do see ourselves staying there, children are all reared and its on a bus route.

We have just today used house B as a barganing tool to lower price of house A and are awaiting a reply but not expecting success.

Thank you all for your input, it's exactly what I was looking for and I really appreciate it.

I think that if we got House A at about €125-€127 then we'd go for that, but otherwise I think it'll be House B and put our own touches to it and have a bit of money for extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Assuming everything else is equal, I'd go with House B. Not only would the whole lot be cheaper, but assuming the work is not urgent, you could long-finger it, paying for it out of day-to-day salary and keep it off the mortgage. That would save you even more. Think the €2500 estimate and add on about 40-60% (the first years of a mortgage you're mostly paying interest).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I'd go with house A or B tbh. They sound much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

you should buy both houses and live 50% of the time in each.
    In 6 months to 1 year, you can sell the house you don't like
    and make mega bucks on the ever increasing housing market!!!

I would go with A - no one ever does the house work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

noah45 wrote: »
    Build is the same, gardens etc all the same and in the same estate.
    Really torn

No brainer in that case. Get the cheaper house. Nothing on your list is urgent, so you can do them at your leisure. Even if you really wanted those jobs done straight away you could have them done in a week by professionals without having to lift a finger. A painter would have a house done for €1.5-2k in a few days, for example.
    Think how long it would take you to save 7-10k. Years? And for the sake of a small bit of inconvenience.
    Also, get wooden floors. Carpets are a pain in the hole. Laminates are reasonably cheap and perfectly fine. You could easily afford the difference between those and carpets on the difference between both those houses and still have a pile left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No brainer in that case. Get the cheaper house. Nothing on your list is urgent, so you can do them at your leisure. Even if you really wanted those jobs done straight away you could have them done in a week by professionals without having to lift a finger. A painter would have a house done for €1.5-2k in a few days, for example.
    Think how long it would take you to save 7-10k. Years? And for the sake of a small bit of inconvenience.
    Also, get wooden floors. Carpets are a pain in the hole. Laminates are reasonably cheap and perfectly fine. You could easily afford the difference between those and carpets on the difference between both those houses and still have a pile left over.

Yes the back gardens may be all the same, but ARE THEY FACING THE RIGHT WAY! for the sun and the barbies, etc......

There is nothing worse than having a back garden that does not get any sun when we feckin get it!

The alignment of a back garden would always be a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Build is the same, gardens etc all the same and in the same estate.
    Really torn

I would also consider exact location, ie is one of them near the end Of a street which would mean less traffic passing, less late night drunken idiots making noise outside your house etc etc

I'd also be attempting to find out who the potential neighbours are and what they'd be like to live beside (and adjoined to if it's a semi)

The work you say house B needs is relatively minor and shouldn't really sway your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Yes the back gardens may be all the same, but ARE THEY FACING THE RIGHT WAY! for the sun and the barbies, etc......

There is nothing worse than having a back garden that does not get any sun when we feckin get it!

The alignment of a back garden would always be a deal breaker for me.

Fair enough, yea. I agree. My analysis was on the basis of all else being equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I would also consider exact location, ie is one of them near the end Of a street which would mean less traffic passing, less late night drunken idiots making noise outside your house etc etc

I'd also be attempting to find out who the potential neighbours are and what they'd be like to live beside (and adjoined to if it's a semi)

The work you say house B needs is relatively minor and shouldn't really sway your decision.

A friend of mine had a similar situation a few years ago. She made her decision based on feedback about neighbours both sides of each house.
    Had she bought the other house she would have had a lot of hassle from one of her neighbours who is just one awkward a**hole!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

House B you will make it your own and it will turn out nicer than a

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fair enough, yea. I agree. My analysis was on the basis of all else being equal.

Sometimes the spec of a house will be amazing, that can be a big draw. But the garden on the other hand is dark and always will be.

A big issue that is often forgotten when buying a house, IMV.

God I am going to be called a feckin nerd now, but when I was looking for my house I brought a compass with me to check the back garden orientation!

That was before the days of smartphones with inbuilt compasses etc.

And there were three houses on my list, all in the same area all the same size.

The one I chose is SW facing, and is not overlooked. Best decision. Needed some work, but it was so worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

House A
    Immaculate
    could move in and have absolutely nothing to do or change
    It's perfect
    Total Cost €135,000

I take it you've never owned a house before?

Advertisement