Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head or Heart rule: help me chose house

Options
  • 18-12-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Moderators please feel free to move if necessary:

Please help me make right decision, 2 identical houses in same estate. I just want peoples oppinions in what might seem like a silly matter but has our heads in a tizzy.

House A €135,000
    Immaculate
    could move in and have absolutely nothing to do or change
    It's perfect
    Total Cost €135,000

House B €121,000
    Needs new blind~€900
    Needs painting~€600
    Needs new carpets~€1000
    Otherwise fine
    Total Cost €123,000=€125,00 at most

We adore the dearer house A, but we could make House A similar for about €10,000 less.
    Problem is that our hearts say A while our heads say B. Buying A would be a dream but due to circumstances it would be the upper end of our financial limit.

Has anyone been in a similar circumstance?
    What would people advise Head or Heart?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

In the grand scheme of things, particularly if you are getting a mortgage, 10 k is a small amount. Get the better house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Heart, 100%. Its your home and I'd always spend the extra, if you can afford it.

I moved into my house 7 months ago, saying I'll do X Y and Z....went with the cheaper house and said we'd fix it up. Haven't done a thing with it yet :o

House A.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Easy choice, B.

That's not a lot of work at all. Are you sure you''re not underestimating the cost of buying and fitting the carpets?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

It's just an estimate on the carpets- could be more, it would be for stairs and 3 bedrooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Always go with your heart......never mind that old sense talking head......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Your head is the one that pays the bills, not your heart. And buying your own stuff allows you to personalise it exactly to your taste. B for me.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

noah45 wrote: »
    House A €135,000
    Immaculate
    It's perfect
    Total Cost €135,000

House B €121,000
    Needs new blind~€900
    Needs painting~€600
    Needs new carpets~€1000

Otherwise fine

To be honest, these would be the last things I'd be basing my house choice on - a couple of days work and a lot less money than what the difference is would have them checked off the list. I'd be looking at the build quality of the house, size, garden, where it's located and so on - the things you can't easily change to your tastes once you've handed over the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would pay 10,000 not to paint such is my hatred for painting

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Build is the same, gardens etc all the same and in the same estate.
    Really torn

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

House A.

If you start working on things with house B, you see more stuff you want to do. Then the 10k turns to 20k. Meanwhile, house A is bought by someone else, who didn't spend any more on it. And they're very happy.

Go with A.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Really torn

B, definitely.

With 14K of a difference you can repaint and recarpet the house however you want, and have a chunk of cash left over....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

For shame on you all , are the day's in AH long gone where no soul can suggest arson or looking in the neighbours windows at night ? Is there not a passing cat that needs a boot up it's hole ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Could you use the existence of B as a negotiating factor to get them to knock a few quid off of A?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Why don't you add in the extra things you could get with the money you save for house B and then weigh them up. Such as:

House A €135,000
    Immaculate
    It's perfect
    Total Cost €135,000

House B €121,000
    Brand New 50 Inch top of the Range TV
    Holiday for me and my Wife
    The New Ipad I've been wanting to get
    Needs new blind~€900
    Needs painting~€600
    Needs new carpets~€1000
    Otherwise fine
    Total Cost €135,000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

How are you torn?, save the 10k which would be the same as 3-4 years off the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Exactly, bluff on pulling out, get 5k knocked off house A.

Coke and hookers for the mods
    Face kicker
    Blast the house with pîss

Etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Really torn
    Then don't take out an extra €10,000 loan that you don't have to.
    The interest on it over the period of your mortgage would buy the blind and paint the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Moderators please feel free to move if necessary:

Please help me make right decision, 2 identical houses in same estate. I just want peoples oppinions in what might seem like a silly matter but has our heads in a tizzy.

House A €135,000
    Immaculate
    It's perfect
    Total Cost €135,000

House B €121,000

Needs new blind~€900
    Needs painting~€600
    Needs new carpets~€1000
    Otherwise fine
    You'll probably do a few changes in the first few years, so I'd go with house B.

Painting and carpets will be done to suit your own tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

This is a no-brainer, House B-so stay 2 weeks more where you are renting/living, and get those things done-to your own taste....add in a few more bits. 10k of a mortgage is probably around 17.5-20k over the life of the mortgage.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Nothing worse than skimping on a choice and regretting it later. If you can possibly stretch to it, I would let a relatively small cost dictate a lesser choice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Maybe you're very busy.

If so Ill fix it up with some carpets and paint for a mere 9 grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Save the 10k and all the associated interest, and do up house B even better than house A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

House B dude. If the houses are identicle, your heart is making your head lazy. Your heart is a little beatch that needs a kick up the hole.

If house A was in a different estate, town, closer to X, Y or B then I could understand. Have you got a surveyer in to check them both out? Have you got any money left over if a bidding war starts? It probably will and you will probably be bidding against yourself (phantom bidders).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Focus on how many hours you have to work to make 10K (plus deductions from your wages).

Then save the 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

Hi, as an 'older' person, who's bought and moved several times when I was younger, before settling into my present house, I'd like to add my tuppence worth, if I may? Do you see yourselves staying here for the rest of your lives? What is the situation as regards schools, access to transport, commute to work, distance to shops, leisure facilities, etc? All of these things have a bearing on your decision, but your answer to my first question should sort things out. If you never see yourselves moving, house B, for all the reasons mentioned by previous posters, as well as the big one, a lower mortgage. If you think you'll move in the future, house A, as a 'finished' house will remain that way, you'll mind it better and will gain, when you sell it on. Cheers, Bof No1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

You might think that you won't need to spend anything on house A but you will want your own bits and bobs to suit your taste so you might well end up spending a few grand on it anyway.

House A brings a lot less hassle (which I like) but house B gives you better financial possibilities (which I like).

So in short...I dunno really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What is the orientation of the back gardens in both houses?

If they are both the same, go with B and save a few bob.

If one is South or South West, or West, go for that one. Best decision ever.

If back is East or North, the decision is made, go for the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

With House B you could put your own stamp on it. I think there is something to be said for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Really torn

is there a difference in aspect?
    are the back gardens both facing the same way?
    get it as S-SW if possible. priceless
    will the neighbours' house cause shading?

same as Spanish eyes above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

offer 125k for house A

Advertisement