Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people want to have Children

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Children are great fun......

.......teenagers are tw@ts - can science not develop some treatment so when they hit puberty kids go into hibernation and come out only when they're interesting to talk to again!

That or an app that gives them a shock every time they roll their eyes to heaven:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dynamited

biko wrote: »
    You'll find out in your 30s when your biological clock starts ticking OP

I'm Male not female

yipeeeee wrote: »
    It kind of is a selfish act when you think about it.

To bring meaning and happiness into their own lives.

To boast of how proud they are when the kid achieve things because they created it.

But it's obviously a special thing or else people would stop after their first one.

My view of people who have kids young is because they have realized they don't have what it takes to amount to anything so they basically pin all their hopes and dreams on their kids

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

dynamited wrote: »
    My view of people who have kids young is because they have realized they don't have what it takes to amount to anything so they basically pin all their hopes and dreams on their kids

I know plenty of young parents who would debunk that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

People can be very short sighted.
    They're not babies forever.

They magically grow into children and then into grown adults. :D

I quite like the idea of raising some respectful, well rounded adults before I snuff it. Life and Death cycle and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The wife informed me that I wanted children. Safer just to play along.

And we'll have an unpaid babysitter in a couple of years...

I'm Male not female

You think men don't have a biological clock and a latent desire to pass on their DNA?????;)

Jawgap wrote: »
    You think men don't have a biological clock and a latent desire to pass on their DNA?????;)

Pass on DNA yeah , but not reproduce :D

OSI wrote: »
    Because I have awesome memories of being a child, and I want to relive that happiness through a child I bring it to.

So you just want to boss your Child around and try make them live like you did?

No, don't project your crap childhood on to everyone else.

I never said mine was crap

Maybe your's was unbearable so you feel you have to go through it again as a new child

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sauve wrote: »
    Well.

When a mammy and a daddy love each other very much, they give each other a very special hug. And then the stork comes to visit them and gives them a baby. You can't just go and get one y'know :rolleyes:

That would appear to be a very common phase up your end of the Country, as my soon to be wife, says the exact same thing when describing Adult activities.

No, don't project your crap childhood on to everyone else.

Someone's failed at life

Pinning all their hopes and dreams on their sprogs is all they have left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 Leeleather

To boast of how proud they are when the kid achieve things because they created it.

But it's obviously a special thing or else people would stop after their first one.

Every act is selfish.

I don't know if this is a serious question or not, but the short answer is that children bring warmth and love into your life.

Of course you can experience those emotions with a partner but with children it's like multiplying it, even if you didn't think that was possible.

They are also fantastic fun (certainly a lot more fun than most of the adults I know, and I include other people's children in that).

They bring a sense of wonder to your world which is refreshing.

Sorry to be such a drip, but that's the answer to your question. Or at least my personal answer, I can only speak for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭obriendj

Because I have awesome memories of being a child, and I want to relive that happiness through a child I bring it to.
    Maybe your's was unbearable so you feel you have to go through it again as a new child

maybe read what others say first?

Obviously the baby making process is fun but seriously who actually wants to have children?

We do. I wanted the challenge. I wanted to bring happiness to another set of individuals in the world. I wanted to put a little more of the girls I love in the world. And much more. My reasoning and motivations for it all are very long and I could bore you for hours.
    .......teenagers are tw@ts - can science not develop some treatment so when they hit puberty kids go into hibernation and come out only when they're interesting to talk to again!

They did. It is called boarding school. :p

I don't know if this is a serious question or not, but the short answer is that children bring warmth and love into your life.

Of course you can experience those emotions with a partner but with children it's like multiplying it, even if you didn't think that was possible.

They are also fantastic fun (certainly a lot more fun than most of the adults I know, and I include other people's children in that).

They bring a sense of wonder to your world which is refreshing.

Sorry to be such a drip, but that's the answer to your question. Or at least my personal answer, I can only speak for myself.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Now lots of people don't want children but I think in their teens/twenties people are more likely to say "Oh kids, they ruin everything - people are such fools for having them!" because at that stage in their life it would ruin everything for them and a lot of us are incapable of thinking that our mindset will change on such a big issue.

But change it will for most... the auld biological clock ticks on, they meet the right person, they start getting broody.

It's hard to fight our own biological urges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Hoop66

OP's posts in this thread come across as the words of someone who is extremely bitter about their childhood.

Sorry to hear that, and I can perhaps understand why you wouldn't be interested in having children. It's probably not a good idea to assume that all other people feel the same way though, or that your own experience is the "right" one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It gets better than they start sleeping through hun xoxo hugz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think 90% of people who have kids have them out of social conditioning and the other 10% are accidents.

I'm 33 never wanted them, still don't want them and my GF of 30 is the same. Parents can tell me till their blue in the face that once they smile it makes it all worthwhile etc but frankly the only people they're kidding are themselves. Childfree life = wonderful. If I want unconditional love I'll get a dog.

We do. I wanted the challenge. I wanted to bring happiness to another set of individuals in the world. I wanted to put a little more of the girls I love in the world. And much more. My reasoning and motivations for it all are very long and I could bore you for hours.

They did. It is called boarding school. :p

Yeah, but that costs money - I was thinking they might develop something like 'Super Calpol' - you give it to them when they become a pain in the arse and then it wears off as the self-righteousness leaves their body......

......I'm only kidding by the way, my two teens are fine upstanding lads.......now ;)

Hoop66 wrote: »
    OP's posts in this thread come across as the words of someone who is extremely bitter about their childhood.

Sorry to hear that, and I can perhaps understand why you wouldn't be interested in having children. It's probably not a good idea to assume that all other people feel the same way though, or that your own experience is the "right" one.

LOL

You are deluded to say the least

Yeah, but that costs money - I was thinking they might develop something like 'Super Calpol' - you give it to them when they become a pain in the arse and then it wears off as the self-righteousness leaves their body......

Marijuana? :)

Marijuana? :)

I was going to let them buy their own.......mine is for [ahem] medicinal purposes only

Some people have kids because they have the ability to be responsible!!!!

*Dons hat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Parents can tell me till their blue in the face that once they smile it makes it all worthwhile etc but frankly the only people they're kidding are themselves.

But for lots of people having kids is great. In the same way that you wouldn't have people tell you that you're wrong how you feel, you can't say that everyone else is kidding themselves and somehow everyone with kids is wrong.

I was going to let them buy their own.......mine is for [ahem] medicinal purposes only

Thats the great thing about it - your issue can be alleviated by administering the medicine to them OR yourself :) Not many medicines can claim efficacy regardless of who is it administered to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Another iron clad reason to block mobile phone use from students union bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

OP asks a question and then spends the rest of the thread deriding people for answering it.

Advertisement