Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Korea Wins!!!

Options
  • 17-12-2014 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Sony will now not release its new film 'The interview' about assassination of Jim Jong Un.

Sony fears more hacking and a backlash.

Pity looked like a good film!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Did it?

A film about murdering a serving leader of a country with c.25million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

That's it. Christmas is cancelled!:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What idiots idea was it to make the film anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

myshirt wrote: »
    Did it?

Yes it did. Watch the trailer. Looked hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What? I'm gutted now, it looked pretty good :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Was Jim Kims brother? Or is Jim the father of Kim, the wrong un?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

North Korea also win 2015 FIFFA World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Miserable nation.

If they had oil and weren't in China's back yard we'd have probably seen some gallant attempt at regime change by the West long ago.

As it is, it suits China and the West to leave it as a hellish, zombified no-man's land regardless of the abject misery this causes any human being unlucky enough to be born there.

Geopolitics at it's most cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That's a very dangerous precedent.

Is this the first time a company has been almost wiped out by hackers? This should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

I don't think they said they weren't going to release it, just not to theatres.

As The Verge said, their only option is to put it on the 'net. Buckets of good will for a free release too. That wouldn't pay the bills of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Netflix might end up buying the rights, would be a win win for both parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

On the plus side it's going ahead as a broadway musical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

"America will NEVER give in to the demands of terrorists"

.......... unless of course they're a group of North Korean nerdlingers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm still not convinced that this isn't all just a marketing ploy.

And I'm not convinced that North Korea are responsible for the Sony hack either. Seems a lot more like an inside job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

DeadHand wrote: »
    Miserable nation.

If they had oil and weren't in China's back yard we'd have probably seen some gallant attempt at regime change by the West long ago.

As it is, it suits China and the West to leave it as a hellish, zombified no-man's land regardless of the abject misery this causes any human being unlucky enough to be born there.

Geopolitics at it's most cynical.

Are you suggesting NATO and China should invade? Can't see that ending well.

Things could be worse.

Had they made a movie and planned a second parodying Islam, for instance, some of those involved could well be murdered and the least we'd see is wide scale unrest on the streets of Europe and the Middle East.

Yet, no publicly demonstrated anger by the Muslim community in Europe over the 141 mostly infant Muslims murdered in Pakistan anywhere near the fury that greeted the depiction of the prophet in a cartoon... Funny that...

Some things are safer to make a joke of than others.

Are you suggesting NATO and China should invade? Can't see that ending well.

I'm not suggesting anything just pointing out the hypocrisy of the fact that some nations (Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria) are deemed more worthy of "liberation" by the West than others (North Korea, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia) depending on economic, strategic and political considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm still not convinced that this isn't all just a marketing ploy.
    Up to the point they released salaries, SSNs & employee medical history I'd have agreed with you, but it's clearly malicious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Who did the hacking? China or N.Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'm not suggesting anything just pointing out the hypocrisy of the fact that some nations (Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria) are deemed more worthy of "liberation" by the West than others (North Korea, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia) depending on economic, strategic and political considerations.

Picking your battles is good strategy, not hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hmmm wrote: »
    Up to the point they released salaries, SSNs & employee medical history I'd have agreed with you, but it's clearly malicious now.

Well I mean an inside job would be equally malicious.

The amount of data that was compromised is huge. It would have taken weeks or months to do it remotely and the chances of it going undetected would very very low.

I don't understand. North Korean hackers are threatening to bomb the states? Aren't they not even allowed to leave NK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Pity, wouldn't have minded going to see it, though I don't think it would have been a masterpiece or anything. Hopefully someone will leak a copy onto the interwebz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Theater chains said earlier today that they would not show the film given the threats made against them.

Sony were left with no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Throw it up online for free. Hell throw it up on torrent sites, and watch the film be seen by far more people than it would have been otherwise. North Korea can hardly hack the entire Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Are there really sleeper cells of North Korean agents in the West ready to strike on the command of Kim? I know they'd have a few sympathisers here & there in the nuttier fringes of the far left but have never heard anything to suggest they'd have an actual terrorist capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Custardpi wrote: »
    Are there really sleeper cells of North Korean agents in the West ready to strike on the command of Kim? I know they'd have a few sympathisers here & there in the nuttier fringes of the far left but have never heard anything to suggest they'd have an actual terrorist capability.

I doubt it. Could be they have some serious dirt on the top Sony CEO s

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

myshirt wrote: »
    Did it?

Serving?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Things could be worse.

Had they made a movie and planned a second parodying Islam, for instance, some of those involved could well be murdered and the least we'd see is wide scale unrest on the streets of Europe and the Middle East.

Yet, no publicly demonstrated anger by the Muslim community in Europe over the 141 mostly infant Muslims murdered in Pakistan anywhere near the fury that greeted the depiction of the prophet in a cartoon... Funny that...

Some things are safer to make a joke of than others.

I think there's a thread in bargain alerts that's missing any references to Islam. Better get over there quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Never mind them, we just better keep Russia happy or then we will all have problems.

Advertisement