Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a german beer

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Why did no1 warn me about this piss water :(

yeah, in a moment of weakness I picked up a 6 pack of Perlenbacher Premium Pils over the holidays in Lidl
    Had 1 bottle, the rest are still in the fridge, can't imaging drinking them unless mixed with some lemonade while waiting for pay day....

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

yeah, in a moment of weakness I picked up a 6 pack of Perlenbacher Premium Pils over the holidays in Lidl
    Had 1 bottle, the rest are still in the fridge, can't imaging drinking them unless mixed with some lemonade while waiting for pay day....

I still have my 5 bottles left.. Keep them sure if your ever having a session an someone is stuck fora few beers.. Serve it ice cold aswel to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

My stash of Augustiner Hells ran out over the Christmas period after being a bit too generous handing them out to family and friends and had to make a visit to Dunnes to stock up. Wasn't much there when I went over(Would usually pick up Spaten if its on offer). Ended up with a a crate of Miller. All I can say is I'm ruined, will never drink another Heineken or Miller again. Number one Priority is replenishing the stash!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

_Puma_ wrote: »
    My stash of Augustiner Hells ran out over the Christmas period after being a bit too generous handing them out to family and friends and had to make a visit to Dunnes to stock up. Wasn't much there when I went over(Would usually pick up Spaten if its on offer). Ended up with a a crate of Miller. All I can say is I'm ruined, will never drink another Heineken or Miller again. Number one Priority is replenishing the stash!

Augustiner Hells too expensive for my wallet. I think I seen a bottle of that stuff for 4 euro in sweeneys and id never give one away if I had some haha franziskaner in lidl is my best bet.. And if treated myself to the Augustiner stuff id find it hard to go back to my usual

I hear ya on the miller, hieny however ill be resorting back to carlsberg when im going on a long session as I find even a few bottles of wheat beer killss me the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

I wonder how you guys see those German beer mixtures. Since I was young I remember people drinking pils mixed with coke, fanta or sprite (called Pils-Cola, Alsterwasser and Radler) and Alt with coke (Krefelder) and White with banana juice. The last say 10 yrs this got a little bit out of control and you can buy beer mixed with everything. I'd say here in Gemany in a regular shop the department of mixed beers is as big as the depart of pures. I never saw someone mixing beer with anything in Ireland so far. Does that ever happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    I wonder how you guys see those German beer mixtures. Since I was young I remember people drinking pils mixed with coke, fanta or sprite (called Pils-Cola, Alsterwasser and Radler) and Alt with coke (Krefelder) and White with banana juice. The last say 10 yrs this got a little bit out of control and you can buy beer mixed with everything. I'd say here in Gemany in a regular shop the department of mixed beers is as big as the depart of pures. I never saw someone mixing beer with anything in Ireland so far. Does that ever happen?

I liked radlers when I was in Germany - lovely on a hot summers day.

I suppose a shandy (half beer, half lemonade) is the closest here - available in a pub. Not sure if any on sale in shops that are premixed. There might be one or two that others know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pinch Flat wrote: »

I suppose a shandy (half beer, half lemonade) is the closest here - available in a pub. Not sure if any on sale in shops that are premixed. There might be one or two that others know.

I used to love cans of Club Shandy as a kid.
    Afair it had a very small percentage alcohol in it but was legally considered alcohol free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

had some andechser (andechs vollbier hell) last night…great stuff as always, up there with augustiner imo…

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    had some andechser (andechs vollbier hell) last night…great stuff as always, up there with augustiner imo…

Had a bottle of that the other night for the first time. Very impressed with it, I'll definitely be buying it again.

It is really more refreshing (maybe that's where the name is from). And we used it when hungover to get in the mood again. Gives you an easier start to another drinking session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not German but Amstel have recently released a radler in Ireland.

I liked radlers when I was in Germany - lovely on a hot summers day.[...]

yup, nothing beats a nice cold radler in a beer garden on a hot summer evening

yup, nothing beats a nice cold radler in a beer garden on a hot summer evening

Man and it's only january... :(

Man and it's only january... :(

fear not, summer is but a few months away...

fear not, summer is but a few months away...

So I'll keep calm and struggle through winter and spring drinking the regular booze ;)

So I'll keep calm and struggle through winter and spring drinking the regular booze ;)

but you can always make yourself a nice radler even at home...lager+lemonade = done…

but you can always make yourself a nice radler even at home...lager+lemonade = done…

As long as I stay in Germany I could get it like everywhere. Even in a beer garden. But a warm summer evening is hard to find...

As long as I stay in Germany I could get it like everywhere. Even in a beer garden. But a warm summer evening is hard to find...

now that is true

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Straylight wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that they kept all the altbier to themselves in Dusseldorf and it wasn't readily available outside the Westphalia area. If it's available in Ireland I'd be really keen to get my hands on some as it's lovely stuff.

Interestingly, I explored this avenue but to no success. Alt Diebel is the main one but I only seem to get it as you said in Duesseldorf and the wider Ruhr region in places like Dortmund and Wuppertal. Shame because it is a great beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I quite like Maisels Weisse.

Used to see it in my local O'Briens from time to time but not for ages now.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    I quite like Maisels Weisse.

Used to see it in my local O'Briens from time to time but not for ages now.

used to love that stuff when i was still into weissbier...

Advertisement