Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a german beer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're exactly the same beer. Only the bottle size is different.
    Are they now? Fascinating? My reading and voluminous drinking of said beverage in Germany suggested otherwise, but you're the expert. I tended to think Tannenzapfle has slightly more body than the pils.
    Wurzelbert wrote: »
    i am aware of at least three off licence stores in dublin that sell it…seen and bought rothaus pils at sweeney’s, at w.j. kavanagh and that off licence at the corner by the big tesco store in phibsborough…not cheap indeed, yet reasonable by irish standards for imported premium stuff…usually about 3-3.40 per bottle (up from 0.85 or so retail price in germany)...
    Exactly. It's hard to find. Three off-licenses, maybe five, unreliable stock. How many outlets sell booze in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

sarkozy wrote: »
    Are they now? Fascinating? My reading and voluminous drinking of said beverage in Germany suggested otherwise, but you're the expert. I tended to think Tannenzapfle has slightly more body than the pils.

they are the same, the name “tannenzäpfle” (little fir cone) refers to the bottle size.
    sarkozy wrote: »
    Exactly. It's hard to find. Three off-licenses, maybe five, unreliable stock. How many outlets sell booze in Ireland?

yep, was just pointing out where it can be found unless sold out...and that’s three places within easy walking distance, so in that area at least rothaus ain’t that hard to get...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Alt Biers if you can find them are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Spaten is the one you should go for. Aldi. 1.79.

If you have the balls pick up just 1 Aldi Irish Pale Ale.

It's nicer than Galway Hooker and half the price.

Sparten is considered the worse of all 5 Munich beers. If you order it in Munich, people laugh at it. Augusteiner is considered the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

hfallada wrote: »
    Sparten is considered the worse of all 5 Munich beers. If you order it in Munich, people laugh at it. Augusteiner is considered the best.

People in Munich seem a bit up themselves about their beers. I got puzzled looks from a few locals I was sitting beside when I told them I was going to the Schneider Weisse bar.

• Advertisement

i too think augustiner is the best munich brewery. also i think augustiner is the oldest and one of the few or nowadays even the only independent (sort of) brewery in munich, i.e. is not owned by diegeo or any other faceless multinational...they still do their own malting and use wooden casks and all, they don’t do any advertising and have quite a cult following...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Can any be got in Ireland ?
    Been looking and never seen. Had a few in Dusseldorf earlier this year and found them quite to my liking!
    Bsarkozy wrote:
    viewpost.gif
    Rothaus Tannenzapfle is by far my favourite German beer, but you just can't get it in Ireland, and rarely can you find their Pils.

Not had the Rothus Pils, but had the Rothaus Wheat Beer which I thought was stunning. Got it in Hollands of Bray and they had the Pils also.

Can any be got in Ireland ?
    Been looking and never seen. Had a few in Dusseldorf earlier this year and found them quite to my liking![/I]

Never seen them myself, although bottles aren't quite as good as the fresh draught.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ah yes, in one of those pubs where they have Spa(r)ten and August(e)iner on side-by-side :rolleyes: I think Spaten is great, certainly better than Hacker-Pschorr or Hofbräu helles.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

irish_goat wrote: »
    If you liked the taste of Erdinger, look out for Franzikaner in Aldi(I think) or Schneider Weisse. Bitburger is available in Wetherspoons on draught now as well.

The hangover effect unfortunately still happens if you drink too much alcohol, regardless of where it's from. But if it's beers that you want with no "chemicals" or at least, beers that don't hide their ingredients list, you'll find most Irish craft beer fits the bill. Galway Hooker would be a good place to start if you like Carlsberg. :)

So I went with the Franzikaner today because it was on offer in lidl, cracked it open an had my first bottle there, its quite nice yeah id give it a 7/10 for my liken cant fully judge it until iv finished the rest to see how much bloating effect it gives, why is it cloudy though?

Ill try the Augustiner or Perlenbecker next :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

I was always under the impression that they kept all the altbier to themselves in Dusseldorf and it wasn't readily available outside the Westphalia area. If it's available in Ireland I'd be really keen to get my hands on some as it's lovely stuff.

So I went with the Franzikaner today because it was on offer in lidl, cracked it open an had my first bottle there, its quite nice yeah id give it a 7/10 for my liken cant fully judge it until iv finished the rest to see how much bloating effect it gives, why is it cloudy though?

not a huge fan of franziskaner weissbier myself, think there are better ones out there….just make sure you use the proper glass for wheat beer and get all the yeast into the glass…needless to say around here as we all know how to pour a weissbier, just came to mind….

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

irish_goat wrote: »
    People in Munich seem a bit up themselves about their beers. I got puzzled looks from a few locals I was sitting beside when I told them I was going to the Schneider Weisse bar.
    Indeed, cos it's called the Weisse Bräuhaus if it's the place I reckon you're thinking of.

Otherwise I think all bases have been touched on this thread of stuff that is half ways easily available in Ireland.
    The one thing maybe I'd add is that weatherspoons seems to be replacing irish brewed heineken with original German brewed bitburger, so no immediate benefit but when they expand over Dublin and elsewhere it'll be something to look out for.

not a huge fan of franziskaner weissbier myself, think there are better ones out there….just make sure you use the proper glass for wheat beer and get all the yeast into the glass…needless to say around here as we all know how to pour a weissbier, just came to mind….

Just polished off the rest of my bottles an to give my final verdict, i defo be trying something new next, there was a bit of an after taste to it an very filling, after the first bottle though the second went down better, what glass do I have to buy and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Please note that Franziskaner is a weiss beer, also known as weizen.

Weiss = white

Weizen = wheat

It is brewed with a mixture of wheat and barley.

The wheat makes it cloudy.

Weiss bier is typically from Bavaria / Bayern, and is served in a special glass.

Just do a Google search for "weiss beer glass".

Just polished off the rest of my bottles an to give my final verdict, i defo be trying something new next, there was a bit of an after taste to it an very filling, after the first bottle though the second went down better, what glass do I have to buy and why?

this guy here
    explains the basics well enough…you can basically use any 0.5 liter or larger mug or pint glass - not smaller (!) as you need to get the yeast (which also explains the cloudiness) from the bottom of the bottle at the end of the pouring process - yet traditionally we would use long and tall weissbier glasses as used in that clip, and never drink weissbier out of the bottle…rinse your glass with cold water before you pour, helps with the foam…

think i should add to my previous post that there is also a non-yeast type of weissbier, called “kristallweizen” and "kristallweissbier" (crystal wheat beer) in german, “hefeweizen” or "hefeweissbier" being the (imo better) stuff with yeast in the bottle…with kristallweizen you will use the same type of glass and just skip the yeast-pouring part…and you might add a lemon slice…oh and did i mention that wheat beer tends to give you a particularly nasty headache when consumed in large quantity…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel is fantastic, tried for the first time last night.

My OH got me a case of it from Gourmondo.de for the Yule :D

Cheapest place to buy one of these glasses?

Charity shops tend to have them from time to time.

• Advertisement

you might get one for free at an off licence, i got most of my beer glasses that way….just ask...otherwise they can be bought online or at arnott’s or so…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A great example in my opinion of Weizenbock, strong, dark Weizen would be Schneider Aventinus.

Lovely beer to take it slow with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Rothaus Hefeweizen is the best german beer in my opinion.

Drink German beer everyday and my local pub has it on tap at the moment {1.99 a pint may I add}.

So what is it that makes world craft and german beer superior to the beer enthusiasts rather than the typical budwiser, carlsberg, Heineken?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Spaten is nice you can get it in Aldi. I also like the Shöfferhofer weizen as well.

Ahhh Spaten - the lowest of the Munich breweries.

We did a blind taste test in work with all the Munich beers and every single person rated Spaten the lowest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Perlenbacher will sweeten the tongue nerves and enlighten your taste-buds immensely without doubt. Spaten is akin to spittin it out forwarding it to the toilet in my opinion. The purity control regarding German beer is above reproach. Your best bet imo.

So what is it that makes world craft and german beer superior to the beer enthusiasts rather than the typical budwiser, carlsberg, Heineken?

the thing with german beer is that that all decent german breweries still pretty much adhere to the 1516 bavarian purity law - as a question of honour like - which is no longer law as such but has certainly done a lot for german beer culture and helped keep brewing standards pretty high throughout german lands...though there are black sheep among german breweries and there is crappy beer in germany too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

p wrote: »
    Ahhh Spaten - the lowest of the Munich breweries.

We did a blind taste test in work with all the Munich beers and every single person rated Spaten the lowest.

Ah yeah sure there are nicer out there but at less than €2 a bottle I would much rather have this over other mass produced Heineken, carlsberg etc.

I lived in Germany for a while and whereas there are undoubtly world class beers there, where I lived (Karlsruhe) wasn't a great beer region - local offerings of Monninger and Wolf Bräu left a lot to gr desired imo.

My own favourite is Rathaus pils - available in molloys. A lovely refreshing pils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

the thing with german beer is that that all decent german breweries still pretty much adhere to the 1516 bavarian purity law - as a question of honour like - which is no longer law as such but has certainly done a lot for german beer culture and helped keep brewing standards pretty high throughout german lands...though there are black sheep among german breweries and there is crappy beer in germany too...

I think there's a bit of a general misconception about the German purity law. The law places restrictions on the ingredients that can be used in the brewing process, this absolutely does not guarantee in any way a better or superior tasting beer.

There is plenty of crap German beer.

Advertisement