Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brendan O'Connor appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

I was fairly indifferent to him until I saw his cringeworthy attempt at interviewing Pussy Riot. That was painful, painful television. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I was fairly indifferent to him until I saw his cringeworthy attempt at interviewing Pussy Riot. That was painful, painful television. :(

Exactly. Proves my point he's a talentless langer.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Mrs Brown's Boys is rubbish

Ya clown that's Brendan o'Carroll that does Mrs brown's boys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Yes, I am in that property now. A couple of more years of revovery and I will no longer be in negative equity. Noone could have predicted the fall of Lehman bros. The advise that Mr O'Connor provided was correct at the time, he is not Mystic Meg.

He thought he was mystic meg,thats why his ballsy article was vomit driven bile.

Pity any poor b****** that listened to that fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Mr O'Connor...lols. He is indeed an inspiration to me. I am usually inspired to change channel.

• Advertisement

Just watched the heckler have a go on o'connors shoite show,last saturday,video on youtube.

Jesus, are we paying Licence to watch this clown.

He loses the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I enjoy his anti-Sinn Fein article every week in the Sindo.

The way he manages to always stay fresh and original, as well as tackling a range of diverse topics and opinions, is a journalistic masterclass. A true joy to behold.

Enjoy him while we can, before he gets snapped by one of the large UK or American newspapers, who will pay big bucks for talent like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I actually quite like Brendan O'Connor as an interviewer on his show. I think he's good at sitting back at letting people tell their stories. He doesn't let his own personality get in the way of an interesting story the way so many presenters do, like Tubs and Ray D'Arcy .His questions seem to be more genuine curiosity rather than the usual lazy scripted "so tell us about the book your selling"stuff. Also I think he's very down to earth and empathetic when he has guests with serious stories, when Tubs has them I always feel like his whole thrust is getting the money shot by making them cry, needling them with stupid Qs like "so what the first birthday like after little johnny died??" stuff. I've really enjoyed some of Brendans interviews. I really hope he won't be replaced by D'Arcy, hope RTE puts Ray back in his box actually, him droning on about his opinons on sugar, politics, religion became very grating.

I enjoy his anti-Sinn Fein article every week in the Sindo.

The way he manages to always stay fresh and original, as well as tackling a range of diverse topics and opinions, is a journalistic masterclass. A true joy to behold.

Enjoy him while we can, before he gets snapped by one of the large UK or American newspapers, who will pay big bucks for talent like that....

Lol

I actually quite like Brendan O'Connor as an interviewer on his show. I think he's good at sitting back at letting people tell their stories. He doesn't let his own personality get in the way of an interesting story the way so many presenters do, like Tubs and Ray D'Arcy .His questions seem to be more genuine curiosity rather than the usual lazy scripted "so tell us about the book your selling"stuff. Also I think he's very down to earth and empathetic when he has guests with serious stories, when Tubs has them I always feel like his whole thrust is getting the money shot by making them cry, needling them with stupid Qs like "so what the first birthday like after little johnny died??" stuff. I've really enjoyed some of Brendans interviews. I really hope he won't be replaced by D'Arcy, hope RTE puts Ray back in his box actually, him droning on about his opinons on sugar, politics, religion became very grating.

O'connor cannot string an article together of substance.

He meanders on and on,fills in the space left by the page to page supermarket adds.

If he was a journalist he would be writing for a newspaper,not a tabloidy rag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

gladrags wrote: »

He meanders on and on,fills in the space left by the page to page supermarket adds.

Obviously you have never taken the time to read any of Brendan's articles. The man is an intellectual, and like a lot of intellectuals he has his very well informed opinions dismissed by those who have trouble understanding. Ahead of his time.

Not a great fan of his journalism though I've read some personal pieces by him that I found very good, like pieces on his depression and how his life changed when his daughter with downs syndrome was born. He's done some good pieces on inadequate healthcare provision in the country for disabled people too which given the last week was a pertinent cause to have taken on.
    I think really he seems to be pigeon holed into writing in a certain style in the Indo, he's the one who writes lightweight articles that don't scare off the tabloid junkies who buy the paper now. He's capable of more. He is genuinely a good interviewer and comes across as decent on the telly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

mark13 wrote: »
    Lest we forget, Brendan's vomit inducing tribute to Bertie Ahern from 2008.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/theyve-got-him-and-sunk-to-a-new-depth-26435602.html
    Just seems to me like one of a number of (S)Indo columnists who have to tow the line that is the (S)Indo agenda.
    Outside of that, he's actually ok IMO - as Whimsical said, doesn't make his interviewing all about his opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

One called Peter, none called Mossy

Just seems to me like one of a number of (S)Indo columnists who have to tow the line that is the (S)Indo agenda.
    Outside of that, he's actually ok IMO - as Whimsical said, doesn't make his interviewing all about his opinions.

That is because he is on RTE,and he cannot express his Sindo matra for fear of losing his snout at the through,
    financially that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The man is an intellectual

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

There are so many good things to be said about this man it is hard to know exactly where to begin. I first remember him bringing joy into my life when he sang the song "Jesus in the house". Since then I have followed him and it didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that he is one of the finest human beings that this small island has ever produced. He is truly a voice of reason in a sea of insanity.

Yes, you may think that he is a bit rough around the edges, but let me tell you this, diamonds come from humble rocks. This great man has been an inspiration to me down through the years. It is hard to put into words how much I respect Mr O'Connor and the positive contribution that he has made to Irish society.

I have very idols and I am proud to say that Brendan O'Connor is one of them.

Thank you Brendan.

Very eloquently put Brendan,While I have the chance,i must ask,what's the deal with that funny little line across the bridge of your nose?

Jack and Jill Trust fb has named him as their hero of the year this year... Presumably for raising awareness of the state of services for children with special needs. He must be doing something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

There are so many good things to be said about this man it is hard to know exactly where to begin. I first remember him bringing joy into my life when he sang the song "Jesus in the house". Since then I have followed him and it didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that he is one of the finest human beings that this small island has ever produced. He is truly a voice of reason in a sea of insanity.

Yes, you may think that he is a bit rough around the edges, but let me tell you this, diamonds come from humble rocks. This great man has been an inspiration to me down through the years. It is hard to put into words how much I respect Mr O'Connor and the positive contribution that he has made to Irish society.

I have very idols and I am proud to say that Brendan O'Connor is one of them.

Thank you Brendan.

Jesus In Da House is the only good thing he has done.

• Advertisement

markmacken wrote: »
    Jesus In Da House is the only good thing he has done.

The man has a very deep well of talent to draw from. I suspect that you have not exposed yourself enough to Brendan and what he has to offer.
    There are countless Brendan O'Connor articles online, that would be a good place to improve your own intellect by exposing yourself to the work of a true master.

The man has a very deep well of talent to draw from. I suspect that you have not exposed yourself enough to Brendan and what he has to offer.
    There are countless Brendan O'Connor articles online, that would be a good place to improve your own intellect by exposing yourself to the work of a true master.

Well I do like a good laugh. Maybe I'll give the BOC a search in Google News over the break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Very eloquently put Brendan,While I have the chance,i must ask,what's the deal with that funny little line across the bridge of your nose?

So many have imagined giving him a smack in the gob the collected psychic force has caused physical damage.

Lol

markmacken wrote: »
    Well I do like a good laugh. Maybe I'll give the BOC a search in Google News over the break!

This is definitely a wind up.

This is definitely a wind up.

Why can't we talk about great Irish people while they are still alive? I know there is a culture of begrudgery in this country but I for one refuse to partake of it.

Brendan is a national treasure that we should cherish and adore. Other countries take this approach when it comes to their national heroes. Why can't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It must be great for Tubridy at contract negotiation time to mention BoC and accept the inflated sum he's then offered. How many years is he doing that show and he still looks like every Saturday night is his second time presenting on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jesus wept. The man is a charlatan. In his early days at the Sunday Independent he was writing some worthy pieces but then he became subsumed by the culture of that newspaper.

The fact that he is editing a magazine that provides gainful employment for Barry Egan tells me all I need to know. His fawning tv show only compounds that belief.

Why can't we talk about great Irish people while they are still alive? I know there is a culture of begrudgery in this country but I for one refuse to partake of it.

Brendan is a national treasure that we should cherish and adore. Other countries take this approach when it comes to their national heroes. Why can't we?

For that hair alone he should be immortalised as a legend. I know what people are thinking: just because he's a hit with the ladies doesn't mean he's any good at his job. But he could do the Late Late one day... there's more to Brendan than just sex appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Only for his strange/tortured visage - he'd still be thinning beet near Mallow.
    Brendan a gra - see a plastic surgeon. After all I pay a licence fee.

Advertisement