Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unreasonable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

drumswan wrote: »
    Its down to a few hours now is it? Get a grip. Its not the OPs obligation to give up their home and disrupt their entire lives to bail out one of the gazillions of gombeen amateur landlords who got in over their heads.

It could be. There is a precedent where a knock on the door has come and the unware tenant has had to be out the same day.

Im not sure why your being so aggressive to me. Ive been sticking to the potential of the situation.

I don't think getting clouded by emotion on amateur landlords really has any benefit in this thread to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Ken79 wrote: »
    And because they want us to leave. You glossed over that bit.

But yeah, the dad is the main threat because he'd be ashamed at how we are being treated.

Ken honest to god just put yourself in their situation. They have been very good to you over the last two years and I know vice versa with ye being good tenants. I highly doubt the Dad would be ashamed considering she is his family and probably knows the stress she is under and whats that off her back.

I've recently sold a house (no mortgage ties) that I was renting to a couple, their lease was for 2 years and I had to give them a deadline of this week because the sale had to be done this Friday. I told them I would give them 8 weeks notice of a sale whenever it happened, because it Property went sale agreed 9 weeks ago and they were told. It would not be fair to hold off a buyer for so long. My property was on the market since March this year.There are very little properties in their area to rent too but they understood the conditions of the renting agreement (I did have it in the lease that house would be put up for sale within the next 3 years and that they would be given ample notice for moving).

They didn't try to extort money out of me or linger on any longer than they should have to jeopardize my sale. THANK GOD. I even helped them move into their new home- they are also trying to buy and rent in my property was below average so that they could afford to save. However, THEIR moving costs weren't my problem, either was THEM finding a place or a loss of THEIR income while moving. That is YOUR issue to deal with and the sooner you find a place, the better, and just get out from under them. Houses are being repossessed the whole time, think of what income you would lose then.
    You'd be locked out regardless!

Remember there are also possible LEGAL implications (from a buyer and a bank) for them not being able to go through with a sale. I am so grateful that I didnt have to put up with the mess your landlord is in. You just sound like you are trying to delay their sale to suit yourself- god help you if you are ever in their situation and need to sell.

And then on top of it all you want them to give you compensation- I'm sorry but 8 weeks rent free is fine compensation for ye to save more money, pack your stuff and get ready to go. It is VERY UNFAIR for you to dictate a closing date for the landlord.

Thankfully in my case it was a property I didnt have interest in keeping but tenants were still fab and I've sent two lovely bottles of wine their way for Christmas and €100 in a card.

We've all had to make sacrifices. I moved away from my mother too from being her neighbour to now being 40 minutes away. I still visit her every second day, time or distance doesn't bother me- she is my mother. either would a 30 minute commute to my job- which is an hour away from me at the moment.

When you come to buying a house I hope you don't experience the nasty side of things but if you have these demands now, i can only imagine what selling to you would be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ken79

D3PO wrote: »
    so if that's your stance then say no your not moving as you have no legal obligation to. Pay your full rent on time till your lease ends and hope the bank don't reposess and kick you out on your arse with a few hours notice.

don't go hiding behind the technicalities of the situation for financial gain and then try and defend your position by saying its an illegal eviction. Your either willing to force them to abide by tenancy law which is then end of conversation or your willing to move because its the reasonable thing to do.

Happy Christmas by the way.

It's either a deal that works for both parties or tenancy law. I don't mind which.

At the end of the day, they will agree... or not. As for the banks kicking us out on a few hours notice - I'm willing to take the chance.

The landlord will blink before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

She wants to buy me out of a lease.
    Even if it's a legal eviction I have nothing to lose by asking because gone is gone.

But if I'm right, it'll cover the cost of moving, the likelihood of having to pay higher rent and the disruption to my work.

And I have already received advice, as I stated. I'm just looking for something that may have been overlooked.

Jeez, if I were the landlord I'd be looking for all the rent back that I'd given you a break on. If you want it by the letter of the law you should expect to pay the going rate for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I don't know if your landlord is in the right or not, but I feel very sorry having to deal with you OP. You seem to be mostly interested in just lining your pockets.

Dear god, thats exactly what thousands of tenants are facing every day as greedy landlords try to line their own pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

It's either a deal that works for both parties or tenancy law. I don't mind which.

At the end of the day, they will agree... or not. As for the banks kicking us out on a few hours notice - I'm willing to take the chance.

So why did you open this thread asking if your being reasonable or not. Lets not kid ourselves you know your being unreasonable, you know what approach your going to take irregardless of whatever is posted here.

so what exactly is the point of this thread then ?

REXER wrote: »
    Dear god, thats exactly what thousands of tenants are facing every day as greedy landlords try to line their own pockets.

Not all of us are like that.

D3PO wrote: »
    So why did you open this thread asking if your being reasonable or not. Lets not kid ourselves you know your being unreasonable, you know what approach your going to take irregardless of whatever is posted here.

so what exactly is the point of this thread then ?

He obviously wants to have his actions justified so he can go ahead with his plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

She wants to buy me out of a lease.
    Even if it's a legal eviction I have nothing to lose by asking because gone is gone.

But if I'm right, it'll cover the cost of moving, the likelihood of having to pay higher rent and the disruption to my work.

And I have already received advice, as I stated. I'm just looking for something that may have been overlooked.

I stopped after the first page of this - seems like you have your mind made up already, so best go with that but keep in mind that as far as neighbourliness goes with your LL's in laws, that 'blood is thicker than water'. Life isn't always fair like that but that's the way of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

The mistake you made was trying to make money from the situation.
    You could have fought to stay for the remainder of your lease and people here wouldn't have an issue but instead you acted a bit of a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

>>That being said, I'm going to extract a few bob from the situation as the lease she wants to buy me out of has a value - I just don't want to go overboard. <<

You have gone over board already .If i was the landlord you and your family would be be out on the street ,but you yourself would maybe be in a hospital .

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    Ken honest to god just put yourself in their situation. They have been very good to you over the last two years and I know vice versa with ye being good tenants. I highly doubt the Dad would be ashamed considering she is his family and probably knows the stress she is under and whats that off her back.

I've recently sold a house (no mortgage ties) that I was renting to a couple, their lease was for 2 years and I had to give them a deadline of this week because the sale had to be done this Friday. I told them I would give them 8 weeks notice of a sale whenever it happened, because it Property went sale agreed 9 weeks ago and they were told. It would not be fair to hold off a buyer for so long. My property was on the market since March this year.There are very little properties in their area to rent too but they understood the conditions of the renting agreement (I did have it in the lease that house would be put up for sale within the next 3 years and that they would be given ample notice for moving).

They didn't try to extort money out of me or linger on any longer than they should have to jeopardize my sale. THANK GOD. I even helped them move into their new home- they are also trying to buy and rent in my property was below average so that they could afford to save. However, THEIR moving costs weren't my problem, either was THEM finding a place or a loss of THEIR income while moving. That is YOUR issue to deal with and the sooner you find a place, the better, and just get out from under them. Houses are being repossessed the whole time, think of what income you would lose then.
    You'd be locked out regardless!

Remember there are also possible LEGAL implications (from a buyer and a bank) for them not being able to go through with a sale. I am so grateful that I didnt have to put up with the mess your landlord is in. You just sound like you are trying to delay their sale to suit yourself- god help you if you are ever in their situation and need to sell.

And then on top of it all you want them to give you compensation- I'm sorry but 8 weeks rent free is fine compensation for ye to save more money, pack your stuff and get ready to go. It is VERY UNFAIR for you to dictate a closing date for the landlord.

Thankfully in my case it was a property I didnt have interest in keeping but tenants were still fab and I've sent two lovely bottles of wine their way for Christmas and €100 in a card.

We've all had to make sacrifices. I moved away from my mother too from being her neighbour to now being 40 minutes away. I still visit her every second day, time or distance doesn't bother me- she is my mother. either would a 30 minute commute to my job- which is an hour away from me at the moment.

When you come to buying a house I hope you don't experience the nasty side of things but if you have these demands now, i can only imagine what selling to you would be like!
    I'm not denying it sucks. It sucks all round. I really wish they weren't in this position and, likewise, that we weren't in this position.

Look, they were told that the lease goes with the house and that while we were willing to move that we weren't going to accept a deadline. The time for her to deal with that was then - not glossing over it and repeating what she has been told is incorrect information. I even sent her the link to Threshold so she could research it and figure out what to do but she hasn't bothered. The fact is she wanted our money while it suited her with no consideration for our lives.

If she wants a deadline it's going to cost her. It's not even a big sum, as I said, I could get far more under the circumstances but I'm not looking to screw them. If we found a place in January it'd only cost her a months rent, Feb would cost them 2 months and by March, while 3 months rent is handy, it's nothing compared to the pressure we'll be under having spent 6 months looking for a place and now being in our last few weeks before being homeless.

You talk of being reasonable but you need to consider this from both angles.

anto9 wrote: »
    >>That being said, I'm going to extract a few bob from the situation as the lease she wants to buy me out of has a value - I just don't want to go overboard. <<

You have gone over board already .If i was the landlord you and your family would be be out on the street ,but you yourself would maybe be in a hospital .

No, you wouldn't. You could try what you liked but this kind of stupidity would cost you a fortune.
    It's real keyboard warrior stuff like a 15 year old would write.

The mistake you made was trying to make money from the situation.
    You could have fought to stay for the remainder of your lease and people here wouldn't have an issue but instead you acted a bit of a dick.

I don't need to fight to stay for the remainder of my lease. That's a given barring the unforeseen and in that event, what have I to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I don't need to fight to stay for the remainder of my lease. That's a given barring the unforeseen and in that event, what have I to lose?

Do you have it in writing about the reduction in the rent that you were already given or was it verbal?

conorhal wrote: »
    Jeez, if I were the landlord I'd be looking for all the rent back that I'd given you a break on. If you want it by the letter of the law you should expect to pay the going rate for that.

Sorry but one thing I'm good at is covering my bases. It's all in writing, including not accepting a deadline. The time to object or amend was then and she glossed over it because she thought she could steamroll us when the house was sold.

All I want is the letter of the law - or a reasonable compromise if she wants to break a contract.

Do you have it in writing about the reduction in the rent that you were already given or was it verbal?

Everything is in writing. I made sure of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I hope it's not time for the Landlords yearly rent review to bring rent back in line with market rates

I'm not denying it sucks. It sucks all round. I really wish they weren't in this position and, likewise, that we weren't in this position.

Look, they were told that the lease goes with the house and that while we were willing to move that we weren't going to accept a deadline. The time for her to deal with that was then - not glossing over it and repeating what she has been told is incorrect information. I even sent her the link to Threshold so she could research it and figure out what to do but she hasn't bothered. The fact is she wanted our money while it suited her with no consideration for our lives.

If she wants a deadline it's going to cost her. It's not even a big sum, as I said, I could get far more under the circumstances but I'm not looking to screw them. If we found a place in January it'd only cost her a months rent, Feb would cost them 2 months and by March, while 3 months rent is handy, it's nothing compared to the pressure we'll be under having spent 6 months looking for a place and now being in our last few weeks before being homeless.

I am being reasonable but you need to realise that you are dictating something that isnt necessarily something you have a right to control. She will be given a deadline for the sale to happen by and has to abide by that or her buyer can look for compensation from her for delaying sale.

You've had lots of time to consider looking around- I'm sure she told you when it went up for sale and when it went sale agreed so as to give you time. Remember you are delaying a potential couple or person from moving into their new house which is probably costing them extra money if they are renting and also possibly making them homeless if they have ended their lease. This all has knock on effects.

You're just being obstinate. I'm sorry but you are and you need to let it go and stop looking for a quick buck! Nearly all your replies have involved money- of course she wanted your money while it suited her- you were renting her house!!! was she supposed to let it to you for free?? Now she NEEDS ye to be out so both of ye can move on from this situation and still be amicable about it!

I actually give up.

No, you wouldn't. You could try what you liked but this kind of stupidity would cost you a fortune.
    It's real keyboard warrior stuff like a 15 year old would write.

No its not .I was a landlord back in Dublin 12 years ago ,and at 50 years of age i had to square up to a young well build construction labourer who would not leave my house ....He backed down ,because he knew i would have killed him if necessary to get back the house that was left to me by my father .(i would gladly have done prison for it ) .I had given him 2 moths notice .:D p.s,The law is weak ,and you can not depend on it as a landlord .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

She could have told you she was going to move a family member into the house and evicted legally using this way. All she had to do was move a family in there for a while and not advertise it on daft to cover her ass legally. This is legal and there is nothing the PRTB or Threshold can do. But she was kind enough to let you stay longer.

No Irish Landlord takes written notices without calling the landlord to check them. With the way you are behaving, you will find it very difficult to rent another place if LLs calls your current LL.

You are failing to understand she is selling because she is probably behind on her mortgage. But you want to put her under more financial pressure be you basically feel unfairly treated. But renting isnt for life in Ireland.

bjork wrote: »
    I hope it's not time for the Landlords yearly rent review to bring rent back in line with market rates

Sure. I'd be arguing down because there is significant damp in the bedroom which was not disclosed when we negotiated the rent. They were supposed to have a look at it but it never amounted to anything.

hfallada wrote: »
    She could have told you she was going to move a family member into the house and evicted legally using this way. All she had to do was move a family in there for a while and not advertise it on daft to cover her ass legally. This is legal and there is nothing the PRTB or Threshold can do. But she was kind enough to let you stay longer.

No Irish Landlord takes written notices without calling the landlord to check them. With the way you are behaving, you will find it very difficult to rent another place if LLs calls your current LL.

You are failing to understand she is selling because she is probably behind on her mortgage. But you want to put her under more financial pressure be you basically feel unfairly treated. But renting isnt for life in Ireland.
    She couldn't have. It's a fixed term lease, not a part 4. Clauses like the one you mention are the reason we asked for an extended lease. Only mistake we made was not including the right to extend but thats irrelevant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

hfallada wrote: »
    wrong.

anto9 wrote: »
    No its not .I was a landlord back in Dublin 12 years ago ,and at 50 years of age i had to square up to a young well build construction labourer who would not leave my house ....He backed down ,because he knew i would have killed him if necessary to get back the house that was left to me by my father .(i would gladly have done prison for it ) .I had given him 2 moths notice .:D p.s,The law is weak ,and you can not depend on it as a landlord .

Yeah but I don't rely on my fists. I rely on other people being idiots so I would have taken you to the cleaners.

Playing fistikuffs is for children, not adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

OP you are a vulture.

Karma's a b1tch, which I'm sure you will find out soon

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    I am being reasonable but you need to realise that you are dictating something that isnt necessarily something you have a right to control. She will be given a deadline for the sale to happen by and has to abide by that or her buyer can look for compensation from her for delaying sale.

You've had lots of time to consider looking around- I'm sure she told you when it went up for sale and when it went sale agreed so as to give you time. Remember you are delaying a potential couple or person from moving into their new house which is probably costing them extra money if they are renting and also possibly making them homeless if they have ended their lease. This all has knock on effects.

You're just being obstinate. I'm sorry but you are and you need to let it go and stop looking for a quick buck! Nearly all your replies have involved money- of course she wanted your money while it suited her- you were renting her house!!! was she supposed to let it to you for free?? Now she NEEDS ye to be out so both of ye can move on from this situation and still be amicable about it!

I actually give up.
    Do contracts mean anything to you? Are renters just house sitters or people entitled to a home?

She wants to break a contract in an illegal manner. I'm pushing back. I could go a lot harder if I wanted to be cynical.

As for delaying some people moving into a home - this is "our" home. We could be homeless if we don't find somewhere and thats exactly why we went to so much hassle doing things right in teh first pace.

Do you expect me to go "ah sure, I don't deserve a home anyway"?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

A bit of common decency or respect for yourself. This isn't some faceless bank you're trying to squeeze, it's a person who you knew was in a desperate position. Trying to make a profit off it is a dick move.

Yeah but I don't rely on my fists. I rely on other people being idiots so I would have taken you to the cleaners.

Playing fistikuffs is for children, not adults.

Your a cute whoor .I doubt you would take me to to the cleaners from your grave .:D Like in the situation i described ,i would glady do time to get you out one way or the other .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

She wants to break a contract in an illegal manner. I'm pushing back. I could go a lot harder if I wanted to be cynical.

What do you mean by this? What exactly could you do.

Chances are the sale will fall through if she agrees to give you until March. And why would she trust that you would actually move out at that point. So then either the house goes back on the market and 8 months down the line your lease is finished and she can sell hassle free, or else the bank forcloses and you are kicked out straight away.

I would agree that you hold all the cards if your landlord wanted to sell. The fact is that it is the bank that is pushing through the sale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement