Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goddaughter -> Christmas?

Options
  • 17-12-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a goddaughter that is just over 1yo. Am I supposed to be getting her a present and if so what do I get her? She has one sibling and it doesn't feel right onyl getting some for her and not the other one(they are my cousins).

I'm not really sure what to do - I not really a Xmas type of person and we don't buy much for each other inside our immediate family, but I don't know what the protocol is here.

Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

You should definitely get her something. You don't have to go mad. A picture book is something that she and her sibling can enjoy. We have four kids and their individual godparents get a present for their godchild alone. The kids will be so overwhelmed on Christmas Day they won't notice or if you haven't gotten something for the other child, but if it makes you feel awkward you could get something small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My godchildren are my nephews so I would have been getting them something anyway. I buy them and their siblings something small and then the godchildren get something extra. Usually a cool tshirt or pjs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I never got a thing from my godparents. Neither did my siblings. I don't see it as expected. A 1 year old won't even know or care.

The parents will know though. The way I see it, its a mark of respect and esteem to name someone godparent to your child and if you don't acknowledge the child then it could be read as throwing it back in their faces. In saying that I'm a firm believer that gifts should never be expected. If you didn't want to give a gift you could maybe do something nice with the child- maybe take them out somewhere for a few hours (not the panto- sitting still for any length of time is virtually impossible at 1!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    The parents will know though. The way I see it, its a mark of respect and esteem to name someone godparent to your child and if you don't acknowledge the child then it could be read as throwing it back in their faces. In saying that I'm a firm believer that gifts should never be expected. If you didn't want to give a gift you could maybe do something nice with the child- maybe take them out somewhere for a few hours (not the panto- sitting still for any length of time is virtually impossible at 1!).

I'm just coming at it from my experience. We never got anything from godparents, apart from a few quid for a 21st birthday. My parents never felt we were being ignored and I don't think they saw it as conferring an honour, they needed someone to be godparents, they didn't bother with the religious duties and never expected the whole deal to involve Christmas presents. I only know one person who's been a godparent in our family (heathens that we are) and I don't think it'd cross his mind to get a Christmas present just because he was the child's godparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My godson is my nephew and my god-daughter is my best friends child so they would be people I would be buying for anyway. But I still only spend the same amount on my godson as I do my other nephews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends on the parents, did you ask them what they expected when you became a godparent?

I've always given my own godchildren presents, and my godparent's always gave me christmas presents. Nothing massive mind, a book or clothes is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm with lazygal. I never got Xmas presents from my godparents. They treated me on my birthday but I have a lot of siblings and it would've been unfair for them to give me something and not the others.
    My daughters godfather is her cousin and the cousins don't buy for each other since there's too many so I won't expect him to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

If I did want to get something across the 2 of them (1.5yo & 3yo) what should I get? I don't want to get anything bulky as I expect the grandpraents and parents to be buying big stuff.

Ideas appreciated at this late stage - I guess I'm too late for internet purchases...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I would buy several picture books that both children can enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would buy several picture books that both children can enjoy.

Yep books with a good age range would always be appreciated :). Julia Donaldson and axel Schaffer books are awesome!

Where do I get them at short notice?

Amazon? Or any good book shop. My favourites are The tiger who came to tea and The hungry caterpillar. but go to any bookshop and they should have a selection suitable. A that age, they don't need much text.

You can pick up some good books in any bookshop. However, I would get some with good text as for a 1.5 and a 3 year old they would be getting past just the picture stage. The hungry catapillar, the scarecrows wedding, the gruffalo, hide and seek hen, postman bear are all good books. You also any go wrong with the peppa pig series!

Easons do free delivery in Ireland and are prompt. Janet and Allen Ahlberg's books are really popular with this age group- Each Peach Pear Plum, the Baby Catalogue, Peepo. Board books are good for the 1year old. Just don't get pop up books or flap books- people are always getting them for us and they just get wrecked.

Hmmm, some immediate family think I should not bother as I'll have to buy for the other child too - can't give to one and not the other.

Confused - any possible solution?

I went to the ELC and they had very little for either age group. Easons had a number of books, but I forgot to take note of the replies above :(

Urgh - I hate Xmas!!!

Buy some books, wrap them and label the one package for both of the kids. Simples. If you don't want to bother then dont.

Thanks - but would it be expected. The other godparents are immediate family.

Thanks - but would it be expected. The other godparents are immediate family.

For me personally... Well I wouldn't feel right not giving them just a little something. But that could depend on your circumstances. How old you are, if your working etc etc. there are plenty of people here who have said they wouldn't expect anything. Neither would I, i suppose. But it just wouldn't feel right for me not to give something even small to them. Even if its something they can both make use out of if you don't feel right getting something for one and not the other.

Honestly I can see where people are coming from but seriously whatever you do now you're starting a precedent for years to come. Do you really want to have to do this thinking every year? I wouldn't get anything if you don't usually buy presents for your cousins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

kandr10 wrote: »
    Honestly I can see where people are coming from but seriously whatever you do now you're starting a precedent for years to come. Do you really want to have to do this thinking every year? I wouldn't get anything if you don't usually buy presents for your cousins.

Crikey, I enjoy getting people gifts. Especially children, it's like reliving my own childhood. I got my smaller godchildren some little things like twisty straws, tiny spinning top and a kalidoscope. And books for the baby. Cost about 5-10 euro each, I'm fairly broke after an unpaid maternity leave this year, but children don't know the cost of stuff.

Those lovely small toyshops and bookshops are a pleasure to visit. And children get so excited with anything at all you give them.

It's fairly miserable to be considering it a precedent or a chore.

Start as you mean to go along. Remember that the value of the presents would rise every year and if you have more than one Godchild, it could get expensive. Personally, I only give for Communion, Confirmation, 18th and 21st.

pwurple wrote: »
    Crikey, I enjoy getting people gifts. Especially children, it's like reliving my own childhood. I got my smaller godchildren some little things like twisty straws, tiny spinning top and a kalidoscope. And books for the baby. Cost about 5-10 euro each, I'm fairly broke after an unpaid maternity leave this year, but children don't know the cost of stuff.

Those lovely small toyshops and bookshops are a pleasure to visit. And children get so excited with anything at all you give them.

It's fairly miserable to be considering it a precedent or a chore.

Ah don't get me wrong I'm the same. Buying for kids that age is loads of fun and for a few years you do get away with getting little bits and bobs or giant hunks of plastic that cost little or nothing. It's when they get older and stuff gets dearer that's the problem. I'm seeing that now with tween and teen nieces and nephews. Totally don't begrudge it but I had to plan Xmas 4 months in advance to make sure we weren't broke (I also had unpaid maternity and still unemployed). The whole thing as well of buying for 2 cousins when you don't buy for the others. It was the thinking around the 'dilemma ' I was referring to rather than thinking of what to buy. What to buy is the easy bit if that's what you've decided to do op.

You can always give older children some cash. Nothing like filthy lucre to get a young heart racing.

Well, I finally found a good bookstore in town. I seen Each Pear Plum Peach and it looked nice, but is it not a bit much for someone 18 months?
    There was also a farm book with flaps which I think would appeal to them but I just thought it might get torn easily - are these type of books robust(ish)? The text was quite small though and probably not suitable for the 18mth or are they?
    Buy some books and wrap for both or get individual for each kid?

Sorry - never had much dealings with kids before this! I'm good with them when we vist or vice versa but this bit is all new to me!!

At 18 months, they like the pictures. The text is read to them and they learn by listening. Some books become firm favourites and don't you dare to skip a word or change it, a tantrum might ensue. It's a bit like nursery rhymes, they love them. Spot the dog is another good book. You'll find that both children will want to share the story telling. What is appropriate for the 3 year old will also be loved by the 18 month old. It's a bit like Pippa pig, it has the same demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Our 13 month old loves lift the flap books. She loves pop up books too but sees it as a mission to destroy them!! The board books are sturdy enough but parents expect wear and tear when young kids are using them. Mine will sit with her books for 20 minutes at a time turning pages and pointing at things for us to say.

We got each peach pear plum or my son last Xmas when he was 13 months! Lovely book! And by 18 months we both knew all the words off by heart! Defo one of his favourites and definitely definitely not too hard for an 18 month old :). He also likes the spot books but he tends to rip the flaps off.

So, I get Peach Pear Plum for the 18mth girl.
    What about the 3yo boy? :confused:

Or do I put two books in one bundle for both of them?

• Advertisement

So, I get Peach Pear Plum for the 18mth girl.
    What about the 3yo boy? :confused:

Or do I put two books in one bundle for both of them?

Just put 2 books in one package.

Advertisement