Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi trolleys accept only €2 coin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@alanhiggyno1 - if you have a problem with a thread, please use the Report Post function. Do not comment off-topic on the thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

I used a 50c coin recently in a Lidl trolley and it worked. I'd imagine the same would work for an Aldi trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Well there's 2 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Get a token.

(I'm going to invent a 'Worthy of a Thread' test!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nono Toure wrote: »
    I used a 50c coin recently in a Lidl trolley and it worked. I'd imagine the same would work for an Aldi trolley.

Lidl trolleys are set to take a euro though.

There are more €1 coins than €2 in circulation across the Eurozone* but its not a drastic difference at all and nowhere near sufficient to act as if the €2 is some rare creature never seen.

*https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/euro/circulation/html/index.en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im going to assume they thought it would stop plebs walking off with the trolley if they new it was double the cost to them to take it from the carpark.

Fair enough i say, The trolleys cost about 70-100Euro each.

To the OP, it really is beyond a minor thing to be concerned about.

First world problems and all that jazz... wha...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

In fairness it is a pain in the butt, everytime we pull up there was a mad scrummage for that elusive coin, more often than not we had one but more than once ended up trying to squeeze down the line to get change from the cashier, until I discovered the key trick - btw if the key's a little oblong you can take it out after you disengage the trolley allowing you to leave it in the carpark (which I don't) :p

If they're going to be awkward you would imagine they would have a change machine somewhere close to the exit to make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Never have coins in my wallet. always get cleaned out parking so bought a trolkey great device.
    http://www.trolkey.com/buynow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The one euro trolleys can be opened with a 20 cent coin, and people being the lazy arses that they are they will just leave the trolley in the car park rather than walk back with it for 20 cent. 2 yoyo, however, is a large sum of money which can buy many many nice things, so people don't throw it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i have a token its great, my local aldi also give out blue tokens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Its not as if this is a sudden new policy - they've ALWAYS used €2 coins.

As someone else said, get a 2p coin, even better, drill a hole in it and put it on your key ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

definitely the best answer to this thread! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never have coins in my wallet. always get cleaned out parking so bought a trolkey great device.

Is the single type of trolley they show as not usable in their list not an Aldi one?

http://www.trolkey.com/howitworks.html

I've used one of those recently so its either Aldi or Tesco...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Nono Toure wrote: »

You could just push the Lidl trolley across to Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Surprised at the responses here... Whinging about someone whinging.. The ironing.. Delicious.. Anyway I too had this same problem recently and it was a pain in the hole.. I thought it would be a euro like everywhere else and I had a euro with this in mind.. No cash other than that and when I realised it was two I was pretty pissed off.. <SNIP> Aldi Somehow I don't seem to see all the trollies lying around the place in Dunnes or Tesco's..

You could just push the Lidl trolley across to Aldi.

Nope - they have electronic devices that lock the wheels if you leave the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

The Aldi trollies can be easily jimmied to use a 50c or euro coin.

Never had a problem doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

First world problem I know but OP this does annoy me too. I have a €1 sized trolley token on my keyring so I'm always prepared at Lidl or dunnes.
    I've been known to drive back out of the Aldi car park and go to Lidl instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I have one of these myself on the keyring. Sorts out both €1 and €2 trolleys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Why don't they accept €1 or 20c coins rather than the less common €2 coins? Always find myself without and end up with overloaded basket, this annoy anyone else?

I have a superquinn token thing that works in both €1 & €2 slots in trolleys:-P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

forICA for a 15% discount :D
    just click on the ICA logo to get the right page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

ALDI occasionally sell bolt cutters for €2.

*awaits mod*

Advertisement