Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi trolleys accept only €2 coin

Options
  • 16-12-2014 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Why don't they accept €1 or 20c coins rather than the less common €2 coins? Always find myself without and end up with overloaded basket, this annoy anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

That's your own bad planning, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

€2 coin is less common than the €1 coin?? Christ times really are tough, are you sure it's a trolly you need?
    Please tell me you're trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,380 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Maybe it's because €2 is closer to the replacement cost of the trolley than €1.

More likely it's because the locking mechanism can't distinguish between a €1 coin and 50c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

If you get hold of any 2p (sterling) coins, these will also work.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You're less likely not to bother to put the trolley back when you're done with it with €2 than €1.

dobsdave wrote: »

The OP has an issue with having a €2 coin. I'd imagine finding, having and keeping a 2p might be akin to asking for unicorn poop.

The OP has an issue with having a €2 coin. I'd imagine finding, having and keeping a 2p might be akin to asking for unicorn poop.

I have a few I'll send on.
    The 2 euro coin can be spent easily, funnily enough, I cant seem to spend the 2p coin anywhere in Ireland, and so I seem to be stuck with it.
    I'm sure the OP appreciates your input though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Androma1984

Senna wrote: »
    €2 coin is less common than the €1 coin?? Christ times really are tough, are you sure it's a trolly you need?
    Please tell me you're trolling.

Yes, yes and no

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Really? have a bunch of those rattling around in my junk drawer underneath the cutlery :) must try them!

• Advertisement

Really? have a bunch of those rattling around in my junk drawer underneath the cutlery :) must try them!

Yes really.
    You dont happen to have any unicorns in that drawer aswell do you?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Yes really.
    You dont happen to have any unicorns in that drawer aswell do you?:D

Funnily enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Why don't they accept €1 or 20c coins rather than the less common €2 coins? Always find myself without and end up with overloaded basket, this annoy anyone else?

Aldi have been using €2 coins for their trolly since they arrived on our shores many years ago, why is this issue being raised now? Have you just started shopping there?

bluemartin wrote: »
    Aldi have been using €2 coins for their trolly since they arrived on our shores many years ago, why is this issue being raised now? Have you just started shopping there?

Yes, been a Tesco/Dunnes person prior to this. Do you think they might have changed the policy if I had raised it back then?

Yes, been a Tesco/Dunnes person prior to this. Do you think they might have changed the policy if I had raised it back then?

No they provide us with reasonable priced food, why quibble over a two euro coin.

No they provide us with reasonable priced food, why quibble over a two euro coin.

WHICH YOU GET BACK ANYWAY!

I agree about the prices of the food. However, you and others seem to be misunderstanding my point. I am questioning the decision/policy to use €2 coins and the original reasoning for this, not the value difference between €1/20c and €2. (A millionaire might run into the same problem, except that they wouldn't be shopping in Aldi!) Tesco facilitate both 20c and €1 coins, and therefore make it easier for their customers to access trolleys and hence spend more. That's why it doesn't make sense to me.

And yes I realise you get it back. But that doesn't help me when I don't have it handy in the first place and end up using a basket!

I agree about the prices of the food. However, you and others seem to be misunderstanding my point. I am questioning the decision/policy to use €2 coins and the original reasoning for this, not the value difference between €1/20c and €2. (A millionaire might run into the same problem, except that they wouldn't be shopping in Aldi!) Tesco facilitate both 20c and €1 coins, and therefore make it easier for their customers to access trolleys and hence spend more. That's why it doesn't make sense to me.

And yes I realise you get it back. But that doesn't help me when I don't have it handy in the first place and end up using a basket!

You not the only one that doesn't have a €2 coin handy, most of us don't have one. I just pop into the store and ask one of the cashiers for change.

If you feel that strongly about it, write to ALDI, send in a complaint and maybe just maybe they may change all the coin mechanism in their trollies to accommodate you.

oops I spelt trolleys wrong, I thought it was my version :o

You not the only one that doesn't have a €2 coin handy, most of us don't have one. I just pop into the store and ask one of the cashiers for change.

If you feel that strongly about it, write to ALDI, send in a complaint and maybe just maybe they may change all the coin mechanism in their trollies to accommodate you.

As to go into the store, skip past ten disgruntled people each time in narrow queues and wait for the till to open requires effort which is the whole point of my rant, can't you see? I find it funny that you admit that "most of us don't have one", so you are concurring that there is a problem now? If they did change the policy, it sounds like it would be accommodating you also then...

• Advertisement

As to go into the store, skip past ten disgruntled people each time in narrow queues and wait for the till to open requires effort which is the whole point of my rant, can't you see? I find it funny that you admit that "most of us don't have one", so you are concurring that there is a problem now? If they did change the policy, it sounds like it would be accommodating you also then...

I never said there was a problem,in fact whenever I go to Dunnes I also never have a €1 coin, in fact I rarely have any coins in my pocket. I have been shopping in AlDI for years and each time I go, I say damn I must pop in and get a €2 coin and I get it no problem. You go into ALDI just one time, one lousy time, and you have a problem maybe you need to go back to tesco :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Get a 2P, drill a hole on it and put it on a keychain. Problem solved

I never said there was a problem,in fact whenever I go to Dunnes I also never have a €1 coin, in fact I rarely have any coins in my pocket. I have been shopping in AlDI for years and each time I go, I say damn I must pop in and get a €2 coin and I get it no problem. You go into ALDI just one time, one lousy time, and you have a problem maybe you need to go back to tesco :D

Figured you might say that! But it's too damn cheap to go back now. I have been there many times over the years in fact and each time it gets me. Never happened in Dunnes, as always have a euro handy.

Surely there is a problem if the system never works for you though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Use a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

For a small donation, the Irish Cancer Society gave me a key fob that I attach to my keys which has both a €1 and €2 trolley token. I can go shopping anywhere now, safe in the knowledge that my arms won't break. I don't have to carry cash now either! Which is nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

If Im going to the swimming pool, I know the lockers take a euro coin, when I'm packing my bag, I make sure I have my shorts, hat, towel, goggles and euro coin.

Its not the cost.

This isn't a consumer issue for me. Actually, 10 second google led me to this.... theres your answer.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/aldi-and-the-two-euro-trolley-27130950.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Ffs, get a trolley token keyring with both sizes on it. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OP is troll(ey)ing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This has to be the most mundane consumer issue in years. I always have €2 coins and very few €1 coins. How can you say €2 are less common.
    Plus, do as the rest of us do. Make sure you hold on to a coin in the car/purse/pocket to use when shopping or get a token keyring. You take bags with you when shopping I'm sure, so just keep one of those rare €2 coins specially for shopping too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

what a stupid thread this person made up..

Advertisement