Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance gains vs. losses across the disciplines

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

And Tunney has four kids, that why he always seems to be in a bad mood :)

In fairness you've been good of late. Training regularly suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »

In fairness you've been good of late. Training regularly suits you.

Only have three kids, and zero gingers.

Mental note : find trolling cap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Unless you're putting one up for adoption at the last count just 3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Strangely enough I made the connection when Peter asked if being a physio was your job. The reality is physios have never been busier and a lot of that is down to challenges like 100 runs in 100 days. People aren't in tune with their bodies and tend to do too much too soon - be it peer pressure or total ignorance. Hence running can get a bad rep.

My bad, he just talks about them so much it feels like there must be loads of em. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

My bad, he just talks about them so much it feels like there must be loads of em. :)

isn't your real job something to do with counting for a living? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Strangely enough I made the connection when Peter asked if being a physio was your job. The reality is physios have never been busier and a lot of that is down to challenges like 100 runs in 100 days. People aren't in tune with their bodies and tend to do too much too soon - be it peer pressure or total ignorance. Hence running can get a bad rep.

Elephant in the room.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057223256

How many of these people are "in tune with their bodies". Those that savaged me, and other the most, are the ones the least in tune with their bodies. Those the least athletic and those the most likely to get injured.

Name | Comment
    AKW | Regular runner, done streaks before. Low risk.
    Mloc123 | Now doing ultras, however was always likely to be gone in week one. Low Risk
    Bambaata | Fairly savage athlete, pretty sure he could do much more a day and be fine. Low risk
    Mossym | Based on his blog discussed at length about doing and there seems to have been an underlying reason to do it. Closely monitored it seems. Low risk
    Tunney | Fat pr1ck who needs to lose weight. Unlikely to complete it if hangovers too bad. Low risk
    Ruu | Afraid I am not sure. ??? Risk
    Shotgunmcos | Experience athlete. In tune with himself. Low risk
    pgibbo | Experienced athlete. Usually runs alot. Natural runner with good form. Low risk
    Shedite27 | Afraid I am not sure. ??
    zico10 | If arsed would have no problem. Zero risk
    stampydmonkey | Afraid I am not sure. ??
    Señor Fancy Pants | Afraid I am not sure. ??
    Dory Dory | Its dory, she is doing miles anyways. Low risk
    EC1000 | Afraid I am not sure. ??
    johnk123 | Afraid I am not sure. ??
    Kurt Godel | Wanted to do it. Closely monitored. Will learn alot about himself during this
    MalDoc | Afraid I am not sure. ??
    TheLostSheep | Afraid I am not sure. ??
    Worn Out | Afraid I am not sure. ??

Now the ones I don't know could all be high risk. I don't know. But for most the risk is negligible or at worst informed with a risk/reward that makes it worth while.

Plus this is not 100 runs in 100 days. Its 31 runs at a period when most do not train and over eat and drink too much. Risk/rewards.......

mossym wrote: »
    isn't your real job something to do with counting for a living? :)

Eh, eh, I'll be leaving that off the CV anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I hear you Dave. Personally I wasn't talking about the people on the December run streak but generalising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Kurt, I'll be surprised if you don't post a strong sub-6:00 400 time early in January once the run streak has concluded and you actually take a few days off and I'll be watching for the post that tells us about your leap forward in the pool, followed shortly by your new 5K run pb. You're gearing up for a great start to the new year - stay injury-free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Kurt, I'll be surprised if you don't post a strong sub-6:00 400 time early in January once the run streak has concluded and you actually take a few days off and I'll be watching for the post that tells us about your leap forward in the pool, followed shortly by your new 5K run pb. You're gearing up for a great start to the new year - stay injury-free!

In the context of my original query, I'd expect that to be the case, and I'd be more than happy with that as a result. Training in December might see me post a slight sub 6 400m (against Novembers 6:00 even), but should see a minute or two come off Novembers 5k run time. I suspect the running legs have slightly hampered swim progress in the immediate term, but overall improvement across both should be holistic as Peter says (holism=greater than the sum of the parts).

Advertisement