Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Any-One Have A strange Working Like This ?

Options
  • 13-12-2014 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

For as long as I can remember, (I'm a smoker by the way) I always have to put the lighter at an angle that is safe... well away from a close contact to a wooden or paper surface. When I am going to sleep no matter how whacked I am, I always move the front of the lighter in to the ether well away from anything and I will not go to sleep until I know the front of the lighter is pointing out away from things.

Just pondering on it now, I seem to feel that maybe the lighter if it went off from some sort of ignition by itself that I would burn the house down.

I'm just wondering... do any of you folk have any strange fixations like this one, I'm just curious. Or am I just insane ? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

STOP SMOKING SO MUCH DOPE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

STOP SMOKING SO MUCH DOPE.

It's not the weed dude. I'm serious about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I always make sure the pin is firmly in my hand grenade. I'm funny like that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

'....the lighter if it went off from some sort of ignition by itself that I would burn the house down.
    :D

I'm pretty sure this has never happened in the history of the universe.

How could it possibly self-ignite!?

catallus wrote: »

Black-Swan event? :confused:

• Advertisement

A badly produced lighter can do weird things dude.

I'm more interested in things like...'some folk have this fixation of turning on and off the light switch constantly', and will not leave it alone till they are happy with their feeling of turning it on and off maybe after 20 times or so.

What other fixations do you have ?.

A badly produced lighter can do weird things dude.

:pac:

I'm sorry, but spontaneous combustion is not a possibility, even for a dodgy lighter. Even a cursory knowledge of lighter-construction would tell one this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A phone I used to have turned itself on and somehow found a wrestling site and signed me up for a monthly subscription,when in my pocket.
    Turn your back they'll get ya.

:pac:

I'm sorry, but spontaneous combustion is not a possibility, even for a dodgy lighter. Even a cursory knowledge of lighter-construction would tell one this.

Are you sure about that dude ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Yes it does.

Many years ago, I was on a 'lads' holiday in the Canaries.

Anyway, when we were on the beach, we noticed that our lighters exploded in the heat of the sun.

Mind you these were the El-Cheepo type lighters though.

Thinking about this, I'm remembering working as a welder years ago.

Sometimes, if you kept your cheap lighter in your top pocket, the sparks could cause 'ignition'.........

I'd better say no more lest I cause the OP more anxiety on this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I always move the front of the lighter in to the ether well

:D

Whats an ether well?

Are you sure about that dude ?...

That's about a person.

People are not inanimate objects with flint and gas in them!

Your lighter, sitting unmolested on a table in your room in Ireland in December, is not going to blow up!

That's about a person.

People are not inanimate objects with flint and gas in them!

The chemical make-up of the human body can cause odd things to happen.

I was just wondering why I have this strong fixation with making sure the lighter is pointing away from me and away from anything that is flammable. Maybe I'm just thinking too much on the effects that can happen if I'm not careful, maybe I'm just over-careful.
    Whats an ether well?

Typo there :eek:

Yes it does.

Many years ago, I was on a 'lads' holiday in the Canaries.

Anyway, when we were on the beach, we noticed that our lighters exploded in the heat of the sun.

Mind you these were the El-Cheepo type lighters though.

Thinking about this, I'm remembering working as a welder years ago.

Sometimes, if you kept your cheap lighter in your top pocket, the sparks could cause 'ignition'.

I'd better say no more lest I cause the OP more anxiety on this issue.

Cobblers. Both as a welder and as a "Myth Busters" watcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

For as long as I can remember, (I'm a smoker by the way) I always have to put the lighter at an angle that is safe... well away from a close contact to a wooden or paper surface. When I am going to sleep no matter how whacked I am, I always move the front of the lighter in to the ether well away from anything and I will not go to sleep until I know the front of the lighter is pointing out away from things.

Just pondering on it now, I seem to feel that maybe the lighter if it went off from some sort of ignition by itself that I would burn the house down.

I'm just wondering... do any of you folk have any strange fixations like this one, I'm just curious. Or am I just insane ? :D

Don't want to alarm you but...
    Spontaneously Combusting Lighter

Cobblers. Both as a welder and as a "Myth Busters" watcher.

Personally, I never saw it happen, but I was told never to keep a lighter in my top pocket when I started the job.

It seemed like a common sense advice at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Just use matches instead. Of course you will have to keep the matches separate to the scratchy bit of the box in case they light themselves during the night,but at least you won't have the worry of the lighter self combusting.

The fire was pretty small so I just snuffed it out with a sock, but still, I'm fuk!n confused and a little shaken up. If I didn't go back to my room, it might have caused a serious fire.

A sock ? WTF...

Umm... interesting.

Well I'm not insane so, so I will continue to keep the lighter facing away from any matter/substance for piece of mind. I still wonder why I do this in the first place as I never had a problem with fire in my abode. Ah sure, who knows...

A sock ? WTF...

Umm... interesting.

The sock was "moist"......:o

OP, maybe you should just give up smoking. I quit 2 years ago. But then again, I'm a great lad & couldn't hope that anybody else could be as great as me.

Alternatively, you could treat yourself to a nice Zippo lighter.

No probs with self ignition there. No way Jose.

On topic, I can't think of any issues I'm 'strange' about, but as I explained above ,I'm an all 'round great lad & a genius to boot, so there!:cool:

• Advertisement

I check under the bed every night. Some might call that irrational, but I bet if I ever let a night go by without checking under the bed before I sleep, that will be the night the bogeyman gets me. I'm unwilling to take that risk.

Candie 1 - 0 Bogeyman

I too, have strange working ( De fuq? )

my strange working is that I cant get into a bath unless I swish the figure 8, eight times.
    I read somewhere year ago, that it energised the bathwater, or some such shyte, you must do this and to this day, I swish the bath water 8 times, in a figure of 8

yes, I am a gobshyte:rolleyes: :o

OP, maybe you should just give up smoking. I quit 2 years ago. But then again, I'm a great lad & couldn't hope that anybody else could be as great as me.

Alternatively, you could treat yourself to a nice Zippo lighter.

No probs with self ignition there. No way Jose.

On topic, I can't think of any issues I'm 'strange' about, but as I explained above ,I'm an all 'round great lad & a genius to boot, so there!:cool:

I'll have to contact the administrator of boards.ie to implement a special thread just for you. Amazing self ingratiating experience you have for yourself dude, I must try it sometime. :)

Jake1 wrote: »
    I too, have strange working ( De fuq? )

my strange working is that I cant get into a bath unless I swish the figure 8, eight times.
    I read somewhere year ago, that it energised the bathwater, or some such shyte, you must do this and to this day, I swish the bath water 8 times, in a figure of 8

yes, I am a gobshyte:rolleyes: :o

It's 3 times. You're overdoing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

My 'strange working' is that the wardrobes must be closed.
    What most people dont know is that the wardrobe monster is much worse than the bogey man.

The wardrobe monster creeps out at night and blows into your mouth when you're asleep, but he's under the command of the monster under the bed so if you keep that guy in check you're safe from the wardrobe threat. It's a strict hierarchy.

Also, I have a tassle thing on one of the wardrobe doorknobs and I twist it around both knobs at night, making it inescapable.

I'm no amateur at this stuff.

Candie wrote: »
    I check under the bed every night. Some might call that irrational, but I bet if I ever let a night go by without checking under the bed before I sleep, that will be the night the bogeyman gets me. I'm unwilling to take that risk.

Candie 1 - 0 Bogeyman

Yer dead right too.

Back in the '80s there was a mini-series called Salem's Lot on the telly.

Scary stuff about Vampires & all that.

Myself & the little bro used to watch it. I was about 15 at the time & he was around 12.

Anyway one time when he was really freaked out about it I hatched a cunning plan...........

I hid under his bed & when he went into his room to get ready for sleep. He sat on his bed, took off his shoes & BAM. I grabbed his ankle hard.

Well, the screams!

I still laugh thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

It's only OCD, You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

I have to know what time even if lying in bed for a long time just before I nod off I have to check the time which usually wakes me up again but I do it all the time I have done this for years I always know the exact time I go to sleep at

(I Knew it was weird but writing it down confirms it for me haha)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I have several of these fixations, the one that springs to mind first is the gas canisters.. Calor, Ergas etc.

Whenever I pick up a new one at the shop and put it in the boot of the car, Im meticulous about positioning it so that it wont roll about on the way home. I have an inane fear of it exploding.

Im also very thorough when I put the connector head on it, and I check it 2 or 3 times to make sure that it has clicked on properly and there is no gas leaking out. I remember calling into a neighbours house one day and all I could smell was gas. I checked the gas heater, and sure enough the connector hadn't clicked fully down when she was attaching it to the canister. She had arthritis in her hands so she didn't have the strength.. some of those gas thingys are tough to put on.

Advertisement