Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodturning Supplies

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A bench grinder is essential for sharpening gouges.... and so begins the bankrupting process of "I *reaaaaally* need XYZ machine to do this properly!"

That's a nice first bowl! As with most beginners the walls are very thick (my first bowl must have been about an inch thick at the bottom and I'm still getting to grips with wall thickness...:)) but that all comes with time.
    I dunno what that wood is and I'm generally pretty good at identifying wood... doesn't looks like beech to me either... but I couldn't say what it is.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If I had to guess the mystery wood, I would say teak or mahogany because of how open the grain is...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

part of the reason the walls are so thick is because of the job i made of sharpening the gouges; we have a bench grinder, but it's a 6 inch cheapo job from aldi or lidl.

but yes, there's a few things i've already got in the mental shopping list. a decent grinder and a few other bits'n'bobs.

A band saw is probably the machine that most enabled my turning... but its also the most expensive (and the most finicky if truth be told!). I've also bought a number of clamps that have proved very useful.
    But then I do a number of segments bits and pieces and you might not go that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I'd be guessing that's elm at a look. I've some here that looks identical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i may bring it along to the eastern central meet and see if anyone can tell me what it is.

Advertisement