Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodturning Supplies

Options
  • 13-12-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

It's been a few years since I've turned and I'm looking to get back into it. Anywhere that could be recommended for buying a decent lathe and tools? I don't mind buying online, but I'd hate to spend the guts of €90 on delivery. I've seen Martin Gleeson recommended on here, but the last post I saw about him was from about 6 years ago, and I've tried several times to contact him to no avail.

Budget is about €1000 for the lathe, chuck and chisels though I could stretch to maybe €1500 if it really warranted it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Depends whereabouts you are.

Off the top of my head, you have:

Naas, Kildare - The Carpentry Store. www.thecarpentrystore.com (I know that one off!)
    Rathcoole, Dublin - Strahans
    Dublin - McQuillans - Capel St & Blanchardstown (I think)
    Stranorlar, Donegal - WH Raitt
    Thurles - Ronayne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its nice to support local shops but you don't want to buy a lathe that frustrates you no end just because it was easily available.
    Buying a lathe is a bit like buying a car- only you can decide exactly what you need. After a little while you will want a chuck, accessories and that 'must have' tool. Variable speed is now a lot less expensive and I would say essential for bowl turning.
    If you can hang on until February there is usually a good woodworking show in the UK and its an eye opener to see them in action as well as good deals to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tullow Crank

my advice for what its worth would be , for the money you have keep an eye on flea bay, or contact I W G. if you google you will get through . I would buy S/H and get someone who knows lathes to have a look if you are not sure yourself. Its called the slippery slope so good luck and enjoy .

Just seen on the woodworking forum here ,a member has three lathes for sale within your money range which if I was buying a lathe again would be what I would go for . He signed himself as Tim . Hope this is of help .

His name is timbertim88 and he is in contact with delaney on this thread .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

question re buying lathes; i was in mcquillans asking stupid newbie questions, and was being answered by a nice chap who told us that considering our budget, a particular fox lathe would be a decent buy - a bit more than i'd planned on spending, but pwerful enough for our needs.

however, i saw a video review of a fox lathe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x81qf2fc80) where the headstock and tailstock did not line up without some bodging; so i was in mcquillans again recently, and their display model suffered from the same issue.
    a shop assistant (not the same guy were were talking to first time) shrugged his shoulders and said 'i've seen that with other manufacturers too'; he was generally disinterested in trying to proactively sell us a lathe.

so - is that a common issue with an easy fix, or is it a case that if a lathe suffers from it, you'd be perfectly entitled to insist on a refund or repair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Fox are a budget brand mainly sold in the USA. They are part of the dozens of Far eastern companies who make tools for profit first, quality second.
    Lathes are precision tools. I would really stick to dedicated companies who put research and engineering into their tools. You should find a good second hand Myford or Record lathe knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dubturner

I think Martin Gleeson is not in business any more. The Carpentry Store stocks Jet and Axminster brands, and are quite helpful, also usually willing to do deal.
    I'd avoid budget brands - you get what you pay for.
    You should contact your local chapter of the Irish Woodturners Guild - they will advise and perhaps even know of good second hand lather for sale. A lot of good second hand lathes never appear on For Sale pages as they are sold by word of mouth within or accross IWG chapters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i did a beginners woodturning course a few years ago with joe laird, and would probably go for a refresher course with him before buying anything - i'd be keen on picking his brains before making the plunge.

I would recommend that you contact IWG and ask what Chapter was near to you and contact the Hon Sec. of the Chapter and have a chat and maybe go along to their next meeting.That way you have a source of turning to suit everyone , Beginners are made very welcome and you have the advantage of having experienced and probably a Professional turner to help you on your way . Believe me joining a Chapter is the most effective way to get into woodturning .

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

yep, i did a beginners woodturning course a few years ago with joe laird, and would probably go for a refresher course with him before buying anything - i'd be keen on picking his brains before making the plunge.

Snap, Joe used to teach me as well :D I'm doing a full day course with him within the next week or two :)

• Advertisement

Believe me joining a Chapter is the most effective way to get into woodturning .
    cheers, i did go along to a craobh cuig deag meeting after doing an evening course two years ago; that was because we were doing the course in hartstown, but since i live near DCU, there may be a nearer chapter to me.
    my wife did the course as well, and really enjoyed it, and wants to take up turning too - but it seems to be a 99% male thing, slightly intimidating for a woman.

cheers, i did go along to a craobh cuig deag meeting after doing an evening course two years ago; that was because we were doing the course in hartstown, but since i live near DCU, there may be a nearer chapter to me.
    my wife did the course as well, and really enjoyed it, and wants to take up turning too - but it seems to be a 99% male thing, slightly intimidating for a woman.

There are quite a few women in the top ranks of the woodturning fraternity .Check out Cindy Drozda's website ,she can get five figure sums for her work .There are many more if you look up women in woodturning you should get a idea of how many there are .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dubturner

There is a Chapter near DCU - its the East Central Chapter and meet in the scout hall in Lorcan Green on the 2nd Saturday of each month at 2pm.

If there is anyone in the Carlow area they could contact The Dolman Woodturners Chapter ,There is also the Midlands which covers Kildare and areas around . Unfortunately due to health reasons I have not been involved for a few tears now and don't have any phone no's .
    But if you contact the I W G ,all will be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Our Chapter meeting is this coming Monday between 7.30 and 9.30 in the Carpentry Store in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

woodturner wrote: »
    Our Chapter meeting is this coming Monday between 7.30 and 9.30 in the Carpentry Store in Naas

Anyone have a contact for the Carlow/dolmen group? Tried the ones on the website but got no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

delaney001 wrote: »
    Anyone have a contact for the Carlow/dolmen group? Tried the ones on the website but got no reply.

Tom Farrell 086 8053907

woodturner wrote: »
    Tom Farrell 086 8053907

Thanks Woodturner, I was involved in the Dolman but the old health caught up with me . Take care .

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/energer-enb519grb-150mm-bench-grinder-240v.html

For EUR 25, what would ye make of that machine to sharpen chisels? Seems great value but maybe it wouldnt be up to much at 150Watt? Anyone any experience of anything similar spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

A high speed grinder is likely to run to hot to sharpen chisels without ruining the temper. That one has a No Load Speed of 2950 rpm. The likes of the Tormeks which are designed for sharpening run at 90-120rpm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Creusen make some really nice conventional grinders that run slowly, plus have nice wide wheels. You'll pay a lot more than €25 though, think 10+ times as much :) I had one (the HP7500TS), and it was great, but I sold it and bought a Sorby Pro-Edge instead.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

www.Whraitt.ie have served me well it must be said. Deliver of major machines is 45 euro. Great after service too.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Also, some people give Record Power a bad rep (and others recommend them, it must be said)... but I bought a little RP 305 8 months ago and honestly, it owes me nothing from the 350ish I spent on it... great little machine. The only downsides are the lack of variable speed (it requires a quick change of belt positions... nothing difficult but I'm lazy :) ) ... and the bed is only 6 inches below the headstock, making 12 inch diameter pieces your limit. Great machine otherwise... I love mine!

just back from the day course with joe, highly enjoyable, and quite a happy man to have his brains picked. would recommend him to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I have the following small pieces of timber that were bought in the house of wood turning so my guess is I might find a home for them here :)
    From the top in picture

2 by 2 by 12 inches
    Bocote Mex rosewood
    Tulip wood
    2.5 by 2.5 by 10 inches
    ?? Cant read label but is v heavy
    Lead wood
    5 inch diameter, by 2 " thick
    ?? No label

Swords/Malahide region for collection only, free of charge.
    PM if interested
    Edit: Gone!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

so we bought ourselves a nice jet lathe today in the shop in naas. i suspect we'll have to buy a second one as we'll end up fighting over who gets to use it...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

What model did you get?

the 1221vs. i've not been able to start using it yet, because the mounting bolts required are imperial and there's nowhere in dublin open on a saturday (that i could find) which sells imperial.

got it mounted today (thanks to woodies selling imperial measurement threaded bar); i am going to have to move it out from the wall on the left by about four or six inches, but that's only a fifteen minute job. legs are two 4x2s screwed together, rest is 6x2 and it's rock solid.
    339750.jpg

• Advertisement

first bowl off the lathe - not even sure what the wood is; my father in law had it knocking around the garage for 25 years and he reckoned it was beech. i'm not so sure.

i really need to invest in a good grinder, the job was not made easier by my inept attempts at sharpening.

341308.jpg

Advertisement