Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Loathing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I like this country and I think it is a happy place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Twoud be a lovely little country if we could only roof it.

This thread is no place for Bill Cosby jokes. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    This thread is no place for Bill Cosby jokes. :mad:

What do u mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SockJudgement

It's made worse by people who emigrated constantly posting "living the life" with a pictore of them on an australian beach.

I know the type...think they have all gone on to bigger and better things and feeling sorry for all the poor divil's in Ireland! When in reality living abroad is an experience but its definitely not something to look down on Ireland about. I live in Toronto and often miss home, especially when I am being charged a fortune for a pint of milk/beer anything really At the end of the day everyone and everything you love is in Ireland so why hate it, hate the government but why the country!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ireland is a damp, drizzly and dreary island in the Atlantic. I could say a lot more, although the fact that it's a damp, drizzly and dreary island in the Atlantic should be more than enough reason to want to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SockJudgement

It's made worse by people who emigrated constantly posting "living the life" with a pictore of them on an australian beach.

I know the type...think they have all gone on to bigger and better things and feeling sorry for all the poor divil's in Ireland! When in reality living abroad is an experience but its definitely not something to look down on Ireland about. I live in NZ and often miss home, especially when I am being charged a fortune for a pint of milk/beer anything really At the end of the day everyone and everything you love is in Ireland so why hate it, hate the government but why the country!?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I love a self deprecating moan as much as the next paddy but the one that really annoys me is when people say Ireland is a third world country. Have a stroll around the open sewers that are most large cities in India or have a look at the poverty in Uganda and then come back here and you'll soon realise you live in the top 10% of the world in terms of quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Bassfish wrote: »
    I love a self deprecating moan as much as the next paddy but the one that really annoys me is when people say Ireland is a third world country. Have a stroll around the open sewers that are most large cities in India or have a look at the poverty in Uganda and then come back here and you'll soon realise you live in the top 10% of the world in terms of quality of life.
    Or people who say Ireland is becoming a dictatorship - or even simply is a dictatorship. Such idiocy.

Pretending the guards are like the secret police too - that does not mean I think the guards are perfect but I can't stand lack of perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

What do u mean?

How dare you :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What do u mean?

Don't act the innocent with me Mr. Roofie Jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Karl Stein wrote: »
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Don't act the innocent with me Mr. Roofie Jokes.

Ah lads that's mental:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

I know the type...think they have all gone on to bigger and better things and feeling sorry for all the poor divil's in Ireland! When in reality living abroad is an experience but its definitely not something to look down on Ireland about. I live in Toronto and often miss home, especially when I am being charged a fortune for a pint of milk/beer anything really At the end of the day everyone and everything you love is in Ireland so why hate it, hate the government but why the country!?
    I know the type...think they have all gone on to bigger and better things and feeling sorry for all the poor divil's in Ireland! When in reality living abroad is an experience but its definitely not something to look down on Ireland about. I live in NZ and often miss home, especially when I am being charged a fortune for a pint of milk/beer anything really At the end of the day everyone and everything you love is in Ireland so why hate it, hate the government but why the country!?

You live in Toronto and New Zealand and pay large amounts of money for milk/beer?? Is Toronto not in Canada?/

It is possible he's multi-lingual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Bassfish wrote: »

Of course thats all relative, Walk around any first world country and see trains and buses that shock horror run on time, a health service thats run for patient interests and not civil service interests.
    A justice system that can actually work on crime and punishment that doesnt involve repeat offenders making money for the justice hangers on. A banking industry that can be regulated efficiently. A construction industry that dosent kill off all the small self builders, just so the big fish can get all those self builders to work for them cheaper. an agri business that is not a monopoly from field to plate, regulating farmers to just become workers on an automated line.

Does this utopia exist, no. BUt parts of it do in a lot of western countries, and they work very efficient,
    whats so hard to take the examples that do work and implement them in Ireland.
    Why do we have to make a f88k of Irish water, why do we have to make a bolll0cks of the post code system.
    Why do we have to make the most simplest of things and apply them in an Irish way just so some people can make a packet because they have friends inthe right places.

Ireland is a damp, drizzly and dreary island in the Atlantic.

Ireland can be damp and drizzly but Ireland is far from dreary. We're a fairly vibrant country with a relatively rich cultural heritage.

Our coastline is spectacular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Ireland is not anybody's self. Complaining about Ireland has nothing to do with self loathing, it is making a realistic assessment of the country.

Wrong, wrong, WRONG! A nation is its PEOPLE. Its not its geographical location, its not the sum of its economy, its not what side of the road you drive on, its its PEOPLE!

So, when you have a problem with taxes for example, you shouldn't proclaim "Ireland is a sh1thole. They're taxing us more than ever now, I hate Ireland, fcuk Ireland". Seeing as you actually are Ireland, that is the definition of self loathing.

You should be thinking more along the lines of;

"I am a perishable, mortal human, with a finite and very precious life. But more important than that, I am an Irishman. I am disgusted at how a minority of my fellow Irishmen are abusing my trust in them as stewards of my country for their own ends. Their treachery of the responsibility I handed them is such, that I have made up my mind to do something about it. I shouldn't have to, but I must. It is my duty, as a not to do so would make me as guilty as them."

Now, go and chart your course, Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

At the end of the day everyone and everything you love is in Ireland so why hate it, hate the government but why the country!?

Unfortunately the government (and misgovernment) we are subjected to is a direct reflection of the Irish people and their wishes (although everyone seems to deny this!). That's what can get you down living here sometimes, and people do go over board and lose perspective [the garda are like the Stasi or Ireland has "3rd world" public services].
    The place and its people definitely have a lot of positives but it could be much better; I think we really could be up there with the best if we could improve in a few key respects but vast majority like things the way they are really unless some of our "shortcomings" (with respect to the wealthy countries we usually like to compare ourselves to) burn them personally. edit: These wealthy countries we compare ourselves to are of course where our emigrants go - not too many of them go to the real 3rd world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

We're not comparable to the poorest aspects of India or other developing countries but we are far behind where we should be with the wealth we've had/ have on this island. Plus, we've a very obsequious population willing to attack each other rather than challenge orthodoxy, and it's always been that way.

As the great man said, Ireland is best enjoyed from at least 500 miles away.

newmug wrote: »

Now, go and chart your course, Irishman.

OH CAPTAIN, My CAPTAIN!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Unfortunately the government (and misgovernment) we are subjected to is a direct reflection of the Irish people and their wishes (although everyone seems to deny this!). That's what can get you down living here sometimes, and people do go over board and lose perspective [the garda are like the Stasi or Ireland has "3rd world" public services].
    The place and its people .

GRRR! WRONG AGAIN! I voted for who I voted for BASED ON THEIR ELECTION PROMISES, WHICH THEY SUBSEQUENTLY BROKE!

So mods, ban me if you like, but you can fcuk right off with that "reflection" accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I hate the fact that I can't give the OP an articulate reply. I'm such a failure.

GRRR! WRONG AGAIN! I voted for who I voted for BASED ON THEIR ELECTION PROMISES, WHICH THEY SUBSEQUENTLY BROKE!

So mods, ban me if you like, but you can fcuk right off with that "reflection" accusation.

Which election promises exactly?

Wrong, wrong, WRONG!....
    GRRR! WRONG AGAIN!

I'm sensing a wee bit of negativity from you sir! :pac:

Maybe you should join me in a good old fashioned condom burning session!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

There's also the pseudo-enlightened anti-all-things Republican/Nationalist crowd.

There is.

However, they should not be confused with the enlightened anti-all-things Republican/Nationalist crowd.

There is.

However, they should not be confused with the enlightened anti-all-things Republican/Nationalist crowd.

Hah!! You scored one internet point!

enlightened anti-all-things Republican/Nationalist crowd.

There's no such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

There's also the pseudo-enlightened anti-all-things Republican/Nationalist crowd.

You're better and smarter than to label everybody that disagrees with republicanism /nationalism as self loathing cranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Montroseee wrote: »
    Why do so many people in Ireland love to complain about and put down the country? The amount of people I've heard say things like they hate this kip, can't wait to leave etc. is just crazy. All things considered, it's really not a bad little country to live in.

Complaining about complaining. Gzus.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    You're better and smarter than to label everybody that disagrees with republicanism /nationalism as self loathing cranks.

Which is why I was careful to say all things Republican/Nationalist. No political or ideological stance is beyond reproach but there are a significant number of people who are reflexively anti-Republican/Nationalist which I find quite bizarre.

Advertisement