Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Loathing

Options
  • 12-12-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Why do so many people in Ireland love to complain about and put down the country? The amount of people I've heard say things like they hate this kip, can't wait to leave etc. is just crazy. All things considered, it's really not a bad little country to live in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Montroseee wrote: »
    Why do so many people in Ireland love to complain about and put down the country? The amount of people I've heard say things like they hate this kip, can't wait to leave etc. is just crazy. All things considered, it's really not a bad little country to live in.

Take a look at the Holyhead thread - people can't wait to get back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Almost as bad as complaining about the locals themselves, as a local.

I like it cos I'm from here and my family and work are here. But compared to say, other Western European countries, it's not great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Why do so many people in Ireland love to complain about and put down the country?

It's a sin to waste a talent and we're f*cking good at moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

I blame the British joe.

• Advertisement

fran17 wrote: »
    I blame the British joe.

British Joe is ok. His accent is a bit funny but he's a decent guy. Don't blame him.

Jamaican Joe however - what a pr*ck. It's probably his fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭valderrama1

Totally agree OP, look at other countries like US ("U S A, U S A" etc). Big difference in attitudes.
    Maybe it's just in our tradition to emigrate....

Totally agree OP, look at other countries like US ("U S A, U S A" etc). Big difference in attitudes.
    Maybe it's just in our tradition to emigrate....

Huge generalisation there.

The USA USA chant is used in the States to mock the idiots who mindlessly think their country is always right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Huge generalisation there.

The USA USA chant is used in the States to mock the idiots who mindlessly think their country is always right.
    I've never heard it used by americans in a mocking way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

But do they loathe themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

It's made worse by people who emigrated constantly posting "living the life" with a pictore of them on an australian beach.
    I love my country. great sights in donegal,clare etc. dublin is one of the best cities in europe, food is tops and we all speak english :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Ireland is not anybody's self. Complaining about Ireland has nothing to do with self loathing, it is making a realistic assessment of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

It's all right if it wasn't so feckin cold in winter. I know there are obviously places around the continent which get much colder winters but still, cold weather in general is awful. And the early dark nights in winter. Basically just eradicate winter and it'd be a grand spot. But as it is, I'm thinking of heading temporarily to somewhere warmer to work like Thailand or Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Love where I am from.
    People may say Kilkenny isn't a city but it made international lists recently as the friendliest city in Europe, in top 10 in the world and only this week named on an international list as being in the top 10 happiest cities in the world.
    We have a country we should be proud of, yes it could be better, but it could be far worse and some only want to see the negative rather than any positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Because people too often confuse cynicism with enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

More ofton than not the biggest moaners are those who live off the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

More ofton than not the biggest moaners are those who live off the rest of us.

Didn't take long :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Didn't take long :pac:

There's a bit of truth to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

RobertKK wrote: »
    only this week named on an international list as being in the top 10 happiest cities in the world.

Kilkenny is a fine place.

But let's put it in perspective - that was a list by an Independent journalist off the top of his head and carries no weight whatsoever.

That's the Irish Independent, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You see this in every country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

It's made worse by people who emigrated constantly posting "living the life" with a pictore of them on an australian beach.
    I love my country. great sights in donegal,clare etc. dublin is one of the best cities in europe, food is tops and we all speak english :)

Most of the moaning I've encountered has been from people on here who didn't have the balls to leave a country they apparently hated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

You see this in every country.
    I don't know if it's as prevalent in every other country though - unbelievable whingeyness about Ireland from Irish people. Maybe social media amplifies it - best not to read any forum other than Boards (which actually has intelligence!)
    But there's lots of it on Boards too.
    I get what people mean: there's the parochialism and the gombeenism, but there are the positives too, and it's annoying when these are ignored.
    Also the pretending it's some sort of third world banana republic is utterly pathetic. Nothing wrong with comparing Ireland to Britain, France, Germany, the States etc but it's not credible to view such comparison as like with like. Ireland is a very small country, tiny compared to the above, most of which is rural. It's disingenuous to compare it directly to countries in which the industrial revolution took place.

What's quite amusing is when people constantly whinge about the way Irish people are whingers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 realtalk101

what I can't stand is this feminism that's ravaging-through Ireland right now, many people are marginalized in society ,it's not gender pacific. why should the top 5% white spoilt females in the west receive 90% of the media Attention ,where is the equality in that, It's the opposite of equality

I'm tired of listening to crap about Lego, social constructs ,ban bossy, and other crap these spoilt white brats talk

I've never heard it used by americans in a mocking way

I have.

Comedian David Cross uses it quite a bit for example as a shortcut to describe a redneck inbred moron.

Might I hazard a guess and say you've never lived in the States?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Because people too often confuse cynicism with enlightenment.

There's also the pseudo-enlightened anti-all-things Republican/Nationalist crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Not so much self loathing but I am very annoyed at how our country is run. We have a gem of a country here but it could be so much better.

I never put this country down, I love it with all my heart however its being torn apart by the greedy. Because of that I will be emigrating in 2016 which saddens me. It wont be a place I will bring up my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

****ing hell, pointing out a problem with the country is not "self loathing" at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Links234 wrote: »
    ****ing hell, pointing out a problem with the country is not "self loathing" at all.
    It's not the pointing out a problem at all, it's the way it's done - sneering at an entire society yet feeling "above" them all when actually also part of that society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Links234 wrote: »

No but constantly moaning about it or wishing that we weren't an independent country at all kinda is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Twoud be a lovely little country if we could only roof it.

Advertisement