Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Man

Options
  • 12-12-2014 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Does anybody still have a milk man, that delivers every morning ?

i thought they were gone but started getting one again about 2 years ago.
    we get the avonmore milk:) and after drinking that for ages when you taste a lidl brand the difference is amazing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Not so much these days.

Fewer hairy babies as a result also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

We do.

The service started up about 2 years ago. It's all Avonmore products and presumably it's affiliated with them.

Expensive but worth it for the convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Our guys come by 4am every morning. it looks quite suspect.

They drive an old white hiace van with the booth up and a fella standing hanging out of the booth to jump out and deliver. Looks like they did a dairy raid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Milkmen Do It On Your Doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I have a milk man and the convenience its brilliant.. buts its much more costly.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Yup - have had a milkman in our area as long as I've ben alive. Used to deliver every morning, now it's 4 litres every two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yeah, two litres every Monday and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

We had one but canned him a few weeks ago because its very hard to get the balance right of how much milk you need. We ended up with a stock pile. Also kept forgettng hed call on a Friday night looking to be paid nearly always didnt have cash in the house.

Convienient all right but more of a pain in the hoop in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

[Insert Pat Mustard reference here]

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We don't really drink milk at all, let alone have a man dedicated to delivering it to us :pac:

Parents did for years when I was a kid, used to love drinking milk out of the glass bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We do, must be a hard way to earn a living in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Yes, there was no milk round for about 10 years here nut avonmore started delivering recently.
    Ours also has a white van and delivers in early hours.
    The local community page on FB put up a warning about a suspicious white van parking up around estates in the early hours. Sort of amusing tbh

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

What's the difference in price per litre of milk vs. shop cost?

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Think I'm paying €1.20 a litre with a sneaky 50c weekly delivery charge.

Don't know how much a litre of Avonmore is in the shops anymore.

2.19 for 3ltrs in tesco (tesco brand- it's all milk) i just shop online with tesco instead now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

cruais wrote: »
    Our guys come by 4am every morning. it looks quite suspect.

They drive an old white hiace van with the booth up and a fella standing hanging out of the booth to jump out and deliver. Looks like they did a dairy raid.

Boot. Not booth.

2.19 for 3ltrs in tesco (tesco brand- it's all milk) i just shop online with tesco instead now

I prefer to support Irish farmers and get my milk from the Republic rather than Northern Ireland or elsewhere so I don't contend it's 'all milk'.

Cavet - don't know what's the origin of the milkTesco use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Your dignity.

Meathlass wrote: »
    I prefer to support Irish farmers and get my milk from the Republic rather than Northern Ireland or elsewhere so I don't contend it's 'all milk'.

Cavet - don't know what's the origin of the milkTesco use.

Tescos is also Irish. National dairy council aproved logo also.
    I support local businesses too but not if it means paying over the odds which was the case with the delivery service unfortunately.

Tescos is also Irish. National dairy council aproved logo also.
    I support local businesses too but not if it means paying over the odds which was the case with the delivery service unfortunately.

Agree that I'm paying a premium to get an Avonmore brand and get it delivered. Not going to get into an argument here about Tesco but I'm in a position where I can afford to pay a little more and get branded milk rather than the own brand stuff that the supplier takes a hit on. I appreciate everyone isn't in that lucky position.

Marks and Spencers say all their milk is 'Irish' but if you look at the label it actually comes from the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Agree that I'm paying a premium to get an Avonmore brand and get it delivered. Not going to get into an argument here about Tesco but I'm in a position where I can afford to pay a little more and get branded milk rather than the own brand stuff that the supplier takes a hit on. I appreciate everyone isn't in that lucky position.

Marks and Spencers say all their milk is 'Irish' but if you look at the label it actually comes from the north.

So it is Irish then?

gouche wrote: »
    So it is Irish then?

Yes it's Irish but the revenue that the suppliers (based in Northern Ireland) receive isn't going to help the economy in the Republic of Ireland so I'd rather support dairies (of which there are many) based in the republic.

Id buy Tesco milk by choice not through circumstance. I cannot discern any difference whatsoever as it literally all comes from the same source, is treated in exactly the same way etc. The only difference being the lettering on the labels.
    As far as I know their milk suppliers are based in the RoI.
    Each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Unless they start delivering bread, and other midweek staples, I still have to go to the shop anyway so would never use one.

My boyfriend was ordering a take-away the other night and realised we had no milk, so asked if they sold any. They didn't, but they offered to go to the shop and get it for him. Handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Rural area and a daily milk delivery. Brilliant service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The OH signed up to one a couple of years back, was happy to pay a small premium to give a local lad a dig out and get some fresh milk delivered. 2 litres twice a week is all we signed up for but he delivered 2 lites a day.
    Despite leaving him numerous messages he continued the daily delivery, by the end of week two I had a fridge full of 2 litre cartons and then he had the cheek to call looking for the money for the lot. I gave him a verbal boot up the hole and haven't seen him since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I am a milk man but work on the other side collecting the milk from the farmer's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Still around and have had one as long as I can remember, once a week delivery.

2 pints! 2 pints of milk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

There's a milkman locally and I see a lot of our neighbours are getting it delivered. I know this because the milk is sitting outside their front doors for most of the day, every day. We thought about getting our milk delivered and then thought about all the mice that our cats catch running around the neighbourhood and decided not to have it left on the doorstep.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I was considering it but happened to see the local guy delivering at around midnight one night as I was coming home late. Decided against buying milk that's going to sit on the doorstep for 7-8 hours.

Advertisement