Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC - July 1st - Aviva Stadium

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

finbarrk wrote: »
    I might have met you in the Beggars Bush before the gig?
    Doubt it, I was in the Stephen's Green imbibing a few before the gig :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

I looked up their setlist on setlist.fm from those two Irish gig nights in 1979 and its a 10 songs long set from then - I presume that was the norm back then? Or how did it go down back then - a 10 song gig that is?
    Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I saw them for the first time in Dublin, August '79 in the Olympic Ballroom :eek:

If it ain't Bon Scott, it ain't AC/DC for me, I'm an old school, old codger :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

akamossy wrote: »
    What? :/

As mentioned earlier: I live locally and watched the crowds stream towards the stadium. I doubt there were too many under the age of 40. Or even 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Love this pic:

20150701_222803_zpssl2pfeky.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

First time I was at a gig where practically everyone in the stands took to their feet for the whole show. Best rock concert I was ever at, Angus still hopping about like he did forty years ago. One hell of a hardworking band - it was absolutely brilliant from beginning to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Unbelievable day. AC/DC were mega, the crowd before, during and after were brilliant, as metal crowds almost always are. Sound a bit iffy where we were standing but apart from that a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope they bring out a DVD of the tour.

Love if they came back next year. They mite even come back with mal young and phil rudd. The demand would not be as big for next year's show if they did come back

I'm happy they didn't play slane as rumoured loads of times, stadiums are a lot better than being out in a field.

Vocals were the only hard to understand where I was but that's the joy of stadium gig's.

Programme is also very good

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They mite even come back with mal young and phil rudd.

Malcolm health is declining and it won't get any better and Rudd is facing the prospect of prison, while I would love to see them back there is no way to make their problems disappear, I'd be delighted if I got to see the current line up one more time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

As mentioned earlier: I live locally and watched the crowds stream towards the stadium. I doubt there were too many under the age of 40. Or even 50.

Having served many I can guarantee you that there was plenty under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

andyoz wrote: »
    Can you bring in small backpacks with a 'coke' bottle? Will security take any drinks?

Out of curiosity, were you permitted to bring the bag and bottle of 'coke' in?

I'm guessing, if the bottle seal was broken, they would smell into the bottle to see if it was mixed with alcohol or whatever?

I had no problem bringing in a bag, the stewards just asked to look into it, asking if there were any liquids in it. I think they have to a rule to ensure that people don't bring alcohol or plastic bottles in.

But I was thinking, it would be most inconvenient, if they didn't allow people bring bags, like small backpacks, in.

For example, if people bought merchandise before the gig, they'd need a proper bag with them, rather than a plastic bag which are sometimes given out at merchandise stalls, to ensure items like programmes and posters don't get damaged during the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'm guessing, if the bottle seal was broken, they would smell into the bottle to see if it was mixed with alcohol or whatever?

That's exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I brought a liter coke bottle with redbull and vodka in it. No bother getting it in.

Well pissed by the end of the gig ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Great gig. Sound wasn't the best in the upper stands but didn't stop us head-banging etc! :D

A personal highlight for me was Have A Drink On Me - love that song and was surprised and delighted hear it last night!

Did anyone else go to the after party at Sin E on Ormond Quay? There was a fantastic tribute band there called IE/DC - the singer was out of this world!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Well I went with my partner also my age, my brother, his friends and their partners, all under 40 and I saw thousands of people my age and also a lot of kids. Just because I wasn't around when they started off doesn't mean I can't appreciate their music :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Epic gig, first time I've seen them and hopefully it won't be my last. Couldn't believe we got pit A bands when we only arrived at 18:45. Did Anyone else see this pair of (head) bangers make an appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

Did Anyone else see this pair of (head) bangers make an appearance?

They wern't the only pair....

Epic gig, first time I've seen them and hopefully it won't be my last. Couldn't believe we got pit A bands when we only arrived at 18:45. Did Anyone else see this pair of (head) bangers make an appearance?

Yes, I believe there were two occasions, about 20 minutes before AC/DC started, in which they were on display.:)

Nice that you recorded in your photo, another attendee's attempt to capture an image of the specimens!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭andyoz

Out of curiosity, were you permitted to bring the bag and bottle of 'coke' in?

I had no problem bringing in a bag, the stewards just asked to look into it, asking if there were any liquids in it. I think they have to a rule to ensure that people don't bring alcohol or plastic bottles in.

But I was thinking, it would be most inconvenient, if they didn't allow people bring bags, like small backpacks, in.

For example, if people bought merchandise before the gig, they'd need a proper bag with them, rather than a plastic bag which are sometimes given out at merchandise stalls, to ensure items like programmes and posters don't get damaged during the gig.

When we went in the Blue entry the nice blonde security girl said no food or drink allowed. Thought that was a bit strict. Anyway, I offered to share my chocolate bars with her (no luck) and then we retreated to Slatterys to drink on the street with about a thousand other people.

Bonus was seeing band convoy cruise in past us at about 7pm.

I knocked back my Coke and my mate still had 1lt Gin & Tonic. We went in tag team and I distracted security while he slid in. We did buy drinks in there by the way so not total tight arses....but nothing beats sharing a big bottle of spirits with your mate though during a gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Epic gig, first time I've seen them and hopefully it won't be my last. Couldn't believe we got pit A bands when we only arrived at 18:45.

Just wondering how and where were the pit passes being given out? I was there before 5 o clock and there was no sign of any. Asked one of the stewards and they said they'd all been given out to people earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

That was one of the best gigs of my life. I went with my mam, first time she's ever had a pit pass in her life and she did me proud :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Goreme wrote: »
    We're those the guys with their shirts off in Pit A - I remember them - yeah they were acting like twats alright.

Was he a tallish fella with a bald head by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I doubt there were and "goys" at this gig with the pink shirts and brown pointy shoes, getting the freebie "corpo" tickets. Or dollies with the sunglasses perched on their heads pouting for selfies...

Was in the pit myself and what a gig it was took a few shots.

SKp5L8Pl.jpg

k2210Jll.jpg

My e-ticket said Red Route, and I arrived at 7.30pm - everyone arriving via red route at that time was getting a pit wristband. I couldn't believe it!
    DeeTee100 wrote: »
    Just wondering how and where were the pit passes being given out? I was there before 5 o clock and there was no sign of any. Asked one of the stewards and they said they'd all been given out to people earlier in the day.

Yep, that was the knob-end all right.
    jonon9 wrote: »
    Was he a tallish fella with a bald head by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

I was positioned in section 115 where in addition to witnessing the band playing straight ahead of me, I was also a "fly on the wall" by being able to closely see the many staff serving drinks to customers who were on the pitch. At one point, this became more of a 'distraction' after for some reason, all the computerised cash registers temporarily went dead or had to be powered off. This led to the head guy - dressed in a white shirt and tie - becoming frantic where he was literally racing from one computer to the next... as well as trying to give orders to his staff with severe difficulty, due to the extremely loud music in the Stadium. The man seemed to be under a lot of pressure with trying to ensure the selling of drinks on the pitch would run smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

WhiteMan32 wrote: »
    I was positioned in section 115 where in addition to witnessing the band playing straight ahead of me, I was also a "fly on the wall" by being able to closely see the many staff serving drinks to customers who were on the pitch. At one point, this became more of a 'distraction' after for some reason, all the computerised cash registers temporarily went dead or had to be powered off. This led to the head guy - dressed in a white shirt and tie - becoming frantic where he was literally racing from one computer to the next... as well as trying to give orders to his staff with severe difficulty, due to the extremely loud music in the Stadium. The man seemed to be under a lot of pressure with trying to ensure the selling of drinks on the pitch would run smoothly.

id say he handed in his notice after or else got extremly drunk lol after the show

I went in the blue route and my bag was not searched (damned i didnt bring in any drink). 6.70 for a bottle of cider was stiff enough.

Where did the band stay ?? i presume four seasons, there one of the few bands who dont do a meet and greet thing

Do they have a download of the show like Metallica do ???

Goreme wrote: »
    Yep, that was the knob-end all right.

Yeah I was about 10 feet from him and the **** coming from him was dickish, shaking people hands and not letting go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

zarkov wrote: »
    The sound was terrible in upper stand (couldn't hear Brian at all). I gave up on it and made my way to pitch level thanks to a few understanding stewards (and a few thick ones as well). The difference was immense, acoustically and visually. Enjoyed it from there on.

Sound was poor.. Crap.. Micky Bubble sounded better!

Hi to the poster that got 5 to 1..!!

On level 5 it sounded like Phil Collins on Concorde during LiveAid.. SHQQQQEEEXXX Thunder... SHEQUch.....

100's wanted down.

• Advertisement

DeeTee100 wrote: »

I went to queue at the Green entrance on the Lansdowne Road entrance for the standing area around 5.30pm, and a security man told us that if we wanted pit passes we had to go round to the other entrance, which was a walk along the footpath along the River Dodder, the length of the stadium, which I think brought us to Bath Avenue, from where we had to turn left and go back again down the other side of the river, to the Red route entrance of the venue.

We were told the passes were only being handed out on that side.

They were still handing them out at that stage which was around 5.30pm-5.40pm.

you can see the route on the map on the safety notice:

http://www.mcd.ie/safety_notices/acdc_safety_notice.pdf

I'm now wondering why we were directed down along the river rather than just being allowed to walk round the venue to the other entrance where the pit passes were being handed out?

I'm guessing we were told to go the way the security said, so as to ensure we didn't skip a queue already formed from outside any barriers, and to ensure we went through the various security checks?

Advertisement