Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our 17 year old uni student evicted from digs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

Mary63 wrote: »
    There is no point in meeting up with anyone unless you have the cheque for the two month fees in your pocket.

The money has to be paid and that is all there is to it.Babbling on about duty of care to a minor,ie I as a landlord have to take that into consideration in just rediculous,its time your son grew up and just because you have sorted out his mess ups all his life doesnt mean that I now have to do it too.

Gather up everything you have bought him for christmas and return it to the shops for a full refund.Lodge the money to your bank account and write a cheque for the landlord.

Dont waste your time appealing or making special a special case for your ds or appealing on the grounds that you are both unemployed,no one cares least of all the landlord.

Okay, Mary. I think you've made your point already at this stage. There's no need to drive it home in such a callous manner. You'd swear you're the landlord in question with the way you've repeatedly posted your views on this thread.

OP

I don't agree with the manner in which Mary has tried to get her point across, however, I do agree with her point, the rent needs to be paid in full asap.

Echo what everyone else said, you need to get to the bottom of this. You're also going to have to face the fact that he may not be able to return if something severe triggered this, in which case budgeting and alternative accommodation / arrangements will need to be made. Can he get a part time job perhaps?

Perhaps you could try out a small credit union loan to cover the immediate burden. If your suspicions of him pissing it away are true, then a part time job will give him less time to party. Everyone makes mistakes, what's important is that he learns from them.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The appropriate parenting approach will depend on a whole lot of background information that we don't have: I'm not usually in favour of just taking over and rescuing children or young adults who make mistakes, it's generally more effective to support them to work out their own solutions.

But there could be a whole lot of other factors which mean that's not appropriate here - including the fact that a parent co-signed the contract, and so is probably legally liable.

But I do agree: bottom line, the rent needs to be paid before any possible on-going solution can even be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Sorry,ds means dear son(I think).

I didnt realise it was a very serious crime to use the term here,I will say son in future.

I am a landlord and a parent maryanne,I have to find 13,000 euros to pay for my students erasmus year abroad as well as pay school fees for three more.I have properties let and I am not a charity,the deal is you pay me rent on time and I provide you with clean,well equipped accomodation.

I dont go out drinking or having expensive meals out so why should I subsidise the ops son or the students I rent to myself. If any of the students I provide accomodation to try this on I will evict them immediately.I have four teenagers of my own freeloading off me,I am not about to take on a fifth.

I couldnt care less where this or any student ends up,I have checked my bank account to make sure my tenants have paid me up to date,they can tell all sob stories to Vincent de Paul,this guy isnt homeless,if he cant afford to pay whats due he can go back home to his parents,simple as.

I doubt if his stuff is locked up anywhere,he has probably lost most of his possessions or else sold them to pay the drinks bill.

I cant believe his folks believe this nonsense.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note:

Mary63, your posts are getting very personalised now and in no way helpful to the OP. Spouting accusations is wholly unfair on the OP and their son, this is an accommodation and property forum, not a parenting one - I suggest any further posts are kept within the remit of this forum. It you can't do then then please refrain from posting.

Also, do not discuss moderation on thread - it causes threads to go off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Why's everyone getting so hot under the collar. 17 year olds are stupid, this one has done something stupid, get involved sort it out, no Xmas presents, learn and move on.

We all acted the maggot at Uni some of us just learned not to get caught.

They can't hold his possessions, contact FLAC if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

There were a number of students arrested in the city following on from the "Christmas Day" frolics

There are a large number of little scroats who get away from Mammy for the first time and go completely loopy once they get their freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This looks to me like an illegal eviction if the house is privately owned and managed by some local property management agent, or even privately owned by someone working in the college who may have got maintenance staff from the college to change the locks?

OP you need to find out who owns the house and also the only way your son is a licensee is if the landlord was living in the house or if there are significant areas of the house which are "Private" or "off-Limits" to the students living in the rooms. if they all share all the main areas of the house together then he is a tenant in a house share and has a case against the landlord for illegal eviction and either way a case can be taken for the theft/illegal retention of your son's belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 christopherb

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice, over yesterday and after a few frantic phone calls we managed to sort it out. SVP we're good enough to write him a cheque ('wit' addressed) for the owed rent, and he's now back in his room.
    Still don't know the 'full story' regards where the money went, but he'll be home soon enough, I'll deal with the ****e then.

There's 2 pieces of advice I'd take from this thread if anyone else ever finds themselves in a similar situation. 1 Contact the accommodation office or the landlord. 2 Take control of the bank account.

All the Bast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice, over yesterday and after a few frantic phone calls we managed to sort it out. SVP we're good enough to write him a cheque ('wit' addressed) for the owed rent, and he's now back in his room.
    Still don't know the 'full story' regards where the money went, but he'll be home soon enough, I'll deal with the ****e then.

There's 2 pieces of advice I'd take from this thread if anyone else ever finds themselves in a similar situation. 1 Contact the accommodation office or the landlord. 2 Take control of the bank account.

All the Bast.

As my mother says to me to this day. "Your not to old for a slap round the ear".
    I'm 36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

Hi All,

All the Bast.

Glad it's sorted but this is why I don't give to charities, I mean they give donated money to a kid that more then likely pissed away his grant money rather then pay his bills, I seen it locally too svp are terrible at giving out money to people that actually deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I was in student accmodation at WIT and remember it was a licensee agreement rather than a lease which is probably why they didn't really have to follow any sort of proceedure. I remember being very unhappy with the service and how strict it was and how expense and I got utterly fleeced on the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi All,

All the Bast.

Glad to see its sorted but I wonder about SVP bailing him out due to his own carelessness.

OP I suggest he gets a part time job to pay them back. He has to take responsibility for his actions and this would be a good place to start.
    SVP are short enough on funds for those who really need it through no fault of their own.
    They bailed him(and you out), now responsibility needs to be taken and them repaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

anonyanony wrote: »
    Glad it's sorted but this is why I don't give to charities, I mean they give donated money to a kid that more then likely pissed away his grant money rather then pay his bills, I seen it locally too svp are terrible at giving out money to people that actually deserve it.
    My thoughts too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Glad to see its sorted but I wonder about SVP bailing him out due to his own carelessness.

OP I suggest he gets a part time job to pay them back. He has to take responsibility for his actions and this would be a good place to start.
    SVP are short enough on funds for those who really need it through no fault of their own.
    They bailed him(and you out), now responsibility needs to be taken and them repaid.

I feel a bit like this myself, but on the other hand, you have a situation where there's a teenager whose parents have no money to sort out this situation he's gotten himself into and it's looking like screwing up once as a teenager could potentially cost him his college education.

He'll now be able to stay in college, focus on his exams, get his qualification and get a good job at the end of it (hopefully). Or at least a better job than he'd otherwise get. Over the summer he can get a job and put aside €20 a week and pay it back to SVP.

If you want to go down the route of blaming people for needing SVP, I mean technically a single mother who can't afford to put the heat on got herself in that situation as well when she didn't use adequate protection and she's more likely to need a lot more help. People get themselves into situations, we're all human, we're all flawed and some people are more prone to screwing up than others. Without meaning any disrespect to the OP, it was they who sent their 17 year old to college too young. So do we blame the OP for the son's rent disappearing?

My point is, stop playing the blame game on this one. The kid's gotten a scare and will have learned a lot over the last week. Now if the OP follows through he'll make good the situation and will pay that money back to SVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

I came late into this thread and the only comment I am going to make is this, try to remember he is 17 not 37. He has behaved badly but at that age he deserves a second chance. Let's hope he makes good use of it and, yes, pays back SVP when he is able.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Its good that St V De Paul stepped on to help.

17 yos do stupid things. Probably why i feel strongly about kids starting school later so that they're older and hopefully a bit more sensible, by the time they get to Uni.

Op you handled it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

I am agog at SVP bailing him out. I hope you are going to ensure he takes responsibility for this rather than allowing him to get off Scot free. I really struggled for money during college and never would have even thought to go to SVP, I would have thought SVP were for people who were in desperate need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I am agog at SVP bailing him out. I hope you are going to ensure he takes responsibility for this rather than allowing him to get off Scot free. I really struggled for money during college and never would have even thought to go to SVP, I would have thought SVP were for people who were in desperate need.

The SVP are big into education- because it is a route out of poverty. This family were in desperate need - the son might have had to drop out.
    Why are you shaming a person for receiving a charitable donation? You all assume the son drank the money, anything could have happened, theft, loss etc, even the dad doesn't know the full story.
    I think svp were right to help out this young man. Would he be better off languishing on the dole?
    Glad you got it sorted OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

zef wrote: »
    The SVP are big into education- because it is a route out of poverty. This family were in desperate need - the son might have had to drop out.
    Why are you shaming a person for receiving a charitable donation? You all assume the son drank the money, anything could have happened, theft, loss etc, even the dad doesn't know the full story.
    I think svp were right to help out this young man. Would he be better off languishing on the dole?
    Glad you got it sorted OP.

+1 but working a PT job and paying them back will teach him some excellent lessons as well as eventually giving him a few quid to have a good time, which should never be funded by anyone, no matter their means, other than the person themselves. I'd get on to SVP and find out what they want him to do with the ten hours a week hes going to work for them for free for the rest of the next academic year.

It will also look great on his CV.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ok I think this thread has come to completion.

/Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement