Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax 2 years out of date, driving

Options
  • 09-12-2014 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks,

Apologies if this is entirely the wrong forum for this query but it seems the most appropriate after looking around.

My motor tax is out of date by two and a half years. My disc expired 05/2012. I have been driving regularly on the road like this. NCT and Insurance of course is 100% up to date and always has been. Like the rest of you, I am smashed thanks to this poxy country having gone the sh1tt3r so I just long fingered the tax so I could do other things like pay my rent, feed my children and so on.

Anyway, I now have come into a small bit of money and being aware of my civic responsibility to pay my taxes I plan on doing just that - it will be about 1500 quid including fines.

Just wondering does anyone know will I get a "tut-tut aren't you a bold boy" when I pay up at the motor tax office or will I get reported to the guards for being a dickhead for not paying my road tax after I pay it? I *want* to pay it and I *HAVE* to pay it or when I get caught I'll be in front of a judge but curious to know if I pay it will I be in front of a judge *anyway*.

Any thoughts welcome.

cheers
    Heysus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Gardai will probably seize it if its out that long. They can once it's out beyond 2 months. You'd then have to pay all the back tax and the impound fees and any fines.

If I were you, I'd 'sell' the car to a mate and then 'buy' it again, wiping any back tax. Tax it as normal then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It's scabs like you OP that drive up the cost of motor tax for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Gardai will probably seize it if its out that long. They can once it's out beyond 2 months. You'd then have to pay all the back tax and the impound fees and any fines.

If I were you, I'd 'sell' the car to a mate and then 'buy' it again, wiping any back tax. Tax it as normal then.

Is it really as simple as that though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jesuswept

McGrath5 wrote: »

Jaysus I want to pay it. I just couldn't. I come on here to ask advice and get people telling me to break the law. You're all a pack of dicks on this site.

So long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont see how, they'd find some reason to gouge us really, I honestly do not believe they have accounted for non payers, just charge away what they like, fcuk it, sure its going to water for years and into the general pot.
    Even if everyone paid, they'd probably still charge an amount for non payers.

Sell the car to your wife or your brother or someone outside the family you trust and then buy it back, clean slate.

Not that I advocate not paying it, but some people just havent had the means to and the option to not pay or not drive isnt possible, may as well tell people to save money by not eating. Id rather people paid insurance than motor tax, if they are caught for no motor tax then the axe falls on them, if its insurance, we really are paying for it.

edit, just saw your post
    anyway, thats as good as I can come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I'd say it's our wonderful government who 'drive up' the cost of motor tax. You are aware that when they abolished water rates many moons ago there was a levy added to motor tax to cover this cost ? It's still in place, despite a completely new Water Charge ????
    This alone has a much, much larger effect on the cost of motor tax than the OP's situation.
    Anyway, I'll let you get back up on the auld High Horse.
    Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Is it really as simple as that though?
    Yes, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Prick.

jesuswept wrote: »
    Jaysus I want to pay it. I just couldn't. I come on here to ask advice and get people telling me to break the law. You're all a pack of dicks on this site.

So long.

Nobody told you to break the law. They gave advice on how to stop breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Go into your local tax office and I can see something like this happening

You - "Hi, I'd like to tax my car please."

Clerk - "Sure, have you the details with you?"

You - "Yup, here you go"

Clerk - inputs the details "um ah um um, I'm sorry but the system says the car has not been taxed in 2 and a half years so to tax it you'll have a whopping big sum to pay"

You - "Yup I'm aware of that, here is my card"

Clerk - "Jaysus most people would go out of their way to avoid the back tax"

You - "I'd rather pay it and have everything square"

Clerk - "No problem, here is the receipt and here is your tax disc"

You - "Thanks"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

if it wasnt declared off the road, then you will have to pay all back tax.
    If you wait to get caught, then you can argue it in court, providing they dont crush your car, which is a definite possibility.

they have copped on to the "sell to a mate, partner and back again" It's much harder to get away with it now, and the penalties are worse now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Skatedude wrote: »
    If you wait to get caught, then you can argue it in court, providing they dont crush your car, which is a definite possibility.

they have copped on to the "sell to a mate, partner and back again" It's much harder to get away with it now, and the penalties are worse now

They really haven't. It's still there. Nothing has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I hadnt heard its not allowable to sell a car to someone and not have the unpaid tax expunged automatically in the process. I believe its still allowed, so what do they do? check every sale in the event two people know each other?

Sell it to someone in the family with a different name and address, dont move the car, buy it back, what can they do? if the law hasnt changed, they can cop onto it all they like, but there wont be much they can do, you can say you havent driven it, how do they prove otherwise.

Now, I suggest staying off the road as you got away with it long enough, if you get caught while now you will have to pay the full amount Id say as you wont be able to say you havent used it.

....any evidence to back this up ?

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Yes, it is.

And you wouldn't have to change who the car's registered to?

Of course you would. That's the whole reason for doing it.
    You 'sell' it ( and change ownership details).
    Then you re-register it back into the original owners name.

Ah! That's where I was getting confused. I thought you didn't have to and I was wondering how it worked if you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Ah! That's where I was getting confused. I thought you didn't have to and I was wondering how it worked if you didn't.

The idea is to sell it to husband or wife.
    The benefit of that is that you don't need to notify insurers as husband can be the policy holder on car owned by wife and vice versa.

...and the 'new owner' is only liable for motor Tax from the start of the month in which they purchased the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭cml387

OP's gone lads. Ye scared him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

cml387 wrote: »
    OP's gone lads. Ye scared him off.

Also with two posts its probably a troll :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭ofcork

Must be surely how could you get away with tax that much out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Troll detected

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

All you need to do is make sure you "sell" it to someone at a different address, if it is the same address they can sometimes get a bit iffy about it, but still if you know someone well just literally get them to give you €1 for the car and you give them €1 for it back then that way you technically did sell and buy back the car

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

jesuswept wrote: »

So long.

Goodness gracious me

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Nearly all insurance policy's wont cover you if car is registered someone else name!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Point of order, but no they don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Right little judgmental gang here eh?

If it was somebody looking to bust a clamp or get out of speeding points , you'd be giving them a reach around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If you are married change the car to your wife's name and you can avoid the back tax and you won't need to transfer it back as most insurance policies are fine once the car is owned by you or your spouse. If you want to pay the back tax just rock up to the local tax office but I don't see why you would. If things have been that tight financially you may be best off taking option one and keeping the cash for a rainy day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I thought one of the things they started checking when car taxation was overhauled recently was that cars would be flagged if they were out a tax for a while and ownership was transferred away, then back to the original address.

I may be wrong as i remember seeing in a forum discussion, thought it was here on boards actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,862 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I thought one of the things they started checking when car taxation was overhauled recently was that cars would be flagged if they were out a tax for a while and ownership was transferred away, then back to the original address.

I may be wrong as i remember seeing in a forum discussion, thought it was here on boards actually

There is forum for discussion and then there is just plain making stuff up.

Which is factually what you did.

So why not just yell people you made that up rather than harping on about people giving out about you're false opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement