Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Related Garbage Creeping into After Hours

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You need to use a hammer to stamp out these things. But the problem is that you just have to keep swinging that hammer. So you feel like you're trying to stem the tide rather than push things forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

This^^^^

So many posters over the last week have posted derogatory remarks about Muslims (one even suggested concentration camps for them) just because a tiny minority are murderous ****wits does not make them all murderous ****wits.

Obviously the concentration camp post is bannable but....

I am pretty sure that a cursory reading of A&A would find derogatory generalisations about catholics and/or priests.

Here's one anout imams.

Quote: Manach
    Shock, Horror, Unbelievable. Islam upholds communal values.

Do these include the systematic rape and abuse of children (like Muhammed) or are they optional extras? Given the choice of a imam or a gay couple i know who i would prefer as a neighbour.

I jest. Original ( from you ) is about priests.

Do these include the systematic rape and abuse of children or are they optional extras? Given the choice of a priest or a gay couple i know who i would prefer as a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well Muslims by definition belief in supernatural beings. Therefore I don't have a lot of respect for Muslims. That is a valid derogatory remark about Muslims.

Do you have any respect for Catholics, Hindus, Sikhs, Mormons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

This^^^^

So many posters over the last week have posted derogatory remarks about Muslims (one even suggested concentration camps for them) just because a tiny minority are murderous ****wits does not make them all murderous ****wits.

I don't get it, this is one example. What's your point?

Did you report this post? did you report the other posts? what happened?

Do you think racism is not covered in the charter? do you think the mods are failing to do their jobs? do you think the mods are racist? do you want entire topics and subjects censored?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

reprise wrote: »
    I don't get it, this is one example. What's your point?

Did you report this post? did you report the other posts? what happened?

Do you think racism is not covered in the charter? do you think the mods are failing to do their jobs? do you think the mods are racist? do you want entire topics and subjects censored?

What?

Yes i did report the post, did you?

My point is so many make the assumption that tiny % of zealots = the whole Islamic religion.

• Advertisement

Yes i did report the post, did you?

No tbh, I don't recall reading it. Had I read it, and I am being very honest here, I would have died a little. I've been to both Auschwitz and Salaspils and they are humbling places.
    My point is so many make the assumption that tiny % of zealots = the whole Islamic religion.

And it's not an unreasonable point, just a little off topic here and probably better tackled on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Why do people consistently drag Catholicism into this (to say nothing of bringing up A&A when the thread is about AH)? The context is different: Ireland's culture has been indelibly influenced by Catholicism and so given that, it's not unreasonable for people to mock it.

What we see regarding Islam is just Yellow Peril style bull****. Doomsaying nonsense about the Saracen hordes rampaging across Europe, "outbreeding" us. It's tired xenophobia that the usual sorts have latched onto because now they can use terrorist attacks as paper thin justifications.

I Know I'm repeating myself but that is, for me, what the issue is: AH is not a terribly welcoming place to talk about these (and other) things. And honestly, I don't know what can be done about it. I can (but would prefer not to) only imagine what mod action against it would like but it's impossible to argue against. The people who say those things will just ignore counterpoints.

Can anything be done? Is there even the desire for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

Why do people consistently drag Catholicism into this (to say nothing of bringing up A&A when the thread is about AH)? The context is different: Ireland's culture has been indelibly influenced by Catholicism and so given that, it's not unreasonable for people to mock it.

What are you? The moral police? I find it unreasonable, deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Just to revive this, it seems that the trolls have won, so long as they are subtle enough and feign enough innocence when challenged, they have free reign to do whatever they want.

If the standard from now on is to ignore reported posts and delete expressions of concern, perhaps this should be reflected in the charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Have you contacted the mods, they seem to be the most hands on with very good reason. I highly doubt they are ignoring items unless they feel that a user is being over sensitive ect.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Have you contacted the mods, they seem to be the most hands on with very good reason. I highly doubt they are ignoring items unless they feel that a user is being over sensitive ect.
    It's not that they are ignoring it, they seem unable to deal with it. When you see numerous posters in numerous threads having to actively defend groups and traditions that would normally be the antithesis of their own beliefs and outlook, then I think you have a serious problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

It's not that they are ignoring it, they seem unable to deal with it. When you see numerous posters in numerous threads having to actively defend groups and traditions that would normally be the antithesis of their own beliefs and outlook, then I think you have a serious problem.

Freedom of speech is a grey area alright.

I have only been dipping in and out of AH lately, what kind of stuff we talking about?

LGBT rights, travellers or refugee?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have only been dipping in and out of AH lately, what kind of stuff we talking about?

LGBT rights, travellers or refugee?

I hear it's the Muslims they hate now.

Ah the Charlie hedbo topic, if we wait a while Israel will do something and balance will shift back to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ah the Charlie hedbo topic, if we wait a while Israel will do something and balance will shift back to that.

Anti-semites tend to be stamped on fairly quickly, or those that open their gob about it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Putinovsky wrote: »
    Look we've had a discussion on misogyny and I think this sort of stuff is even more prevalent. There seems to be a certain group of posters who do nothing but try to stoke up racial tensions in After Hours and I am quite frankly sick of it.

I know its a tough line as everyone should be allowed to express their opinions but its becoming increasingly obvious that certain posters have a very clear agenda and are actively trying to cause resentment for people of differing ethnicities, religions, races.

Am I alone on this? I can't be the only one noticing this....

I hate religion. Why is that wrong? Why is that lumped in with racism?

Saipanne wrote: »
    I hate religion. Why is that wrong? Why is that lumped in with racism?

There's hating religion, and theres sectarianism. He's referring to the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Nodin wrote: »
    There's hating religion, and theres sectarianism. He's referring to the latter.

Ok cheers. I don't actually hate religion, just making a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I would appreciate it if you posted up examples here or PM'd me. I can have a look and discuss it with you.

• Advertisement

Very hard on the mods to be honest, these topics are very emotive and it seems week after week there is more stuff that comes up from a current affairs.

It might be a case that banning of the subject matter and moving it to a news forum might be in need with stricter moderation.

Be crappy to see it come to that but unless folk understand and trust mods to moderate some very emotive topics and not always agree with whats been said what can you do.

I would appreciate it if you posted up examples here or PM'd me. I can have a look and discuss it with you.
    PMed you Micky, not too comfortable posting other people's battles up on thread.

Just to let people know it's over two weeks later and not so much as an acknowledgement that the PM was received.

Maybe the mods think it's not happening at all or grossly exaggerated, if they do fair enough, but lack of communication smacks of trying to sweep the issue under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Slightly late to the party here, but I've been wondering.

What % of people posting racist, sexist, homophobic ****e, are posters with less than 50 posts? Or less than 100?

Has it ever been considered that AH should have a similar system to the soccer forum where you need a minimum number of posts/time on Boards to be granted access?

Is AH a chatroom for the regulars or open to any ould eejit?

Would this site be better served by funnelling posters through more dedicated fora?
    So instead of allowing blow ins to post on controversial topics, they're forced into forums about things like motors, games, films or whatever - topics where there's a narrower scope to push whatever pet agenda you have.
    I have my doubts that any troll or racist is going to put on a facade for 200 posts and 3 months (that's the Soccer forum limit, I believe) just so they can worm their way into AH.

By and large it's sat on fairly quickly any time it comes up, but I can't help but feel that it's a reasonably large part of the reason for quite a few long time posters shutting up shop in the past year or so.

Even if I don't agree with what they say and even if some of their opinions could be construed as offensive, I feel like a lot of long-term posters with "un-PC" opinions express themselves well enough that it has a hugely beneficial effect on the site as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

The problem is this - how many of us, members here on the site, are a part of these groups being spoken of? These people aren't talking about some nebulous group, far off in another land, they're talking about people who use the site, day to day. In some cases they're talking to them.

No one should have to take abuse here, no matter how self-righteous the person doling it out feels. And while a remark can appear innocuous, consider that it's not about isolated incidents - it's the cumulative effect of hearing those sentiments over and over and over in real life and then coming on Boards and having to put up with them here, too.

From what I've always observed, most of the objections to "PC gone mad" or what have you, are people incensed that they can't insult others with impunity.

I've been on the site just over twelve years but recently went through a spate of closing accounts because AH has (and I don't care what anyone else says) got worse. I keep coming back because overall it's a good site and even AH still has its moments but sometimes I'll come across a thread and be disgusted with what I see.

That said, I do doubt anything will be done, the desire for anything to be done existing or even if anyone beyond a minority consider there to be any issue.

Cuban Pete wrote: »
    That said, I do doubt anything will be done, the desire for anything to be done existing or even if anyone beyond a minority consider there to be any issue.

I would say you'd be wrong there on both counts, tbh, though certainly its been a bit dodgy over the preceding 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nodin wrote: »
    I would say you'd be wrong there on both counts, tbh, though certainly its been a bit dodgy over the preceding 2-3 months.

A bit? AH is almost becoming an exclusively muslim bashing forum.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just to let people know it's over two weeks later and not so much as an acknowledgement that the PM was received.

Maybe the mods think it's not happening at all or grossly exaggerated, if they do fair enough, but lack of communication smacks of trying to sweep the issue under the carpet.

I am very sorry. I did receive your PM but I'm very busy so it slipped my mind, and for some reason I seem to have been unsubscribed from this thread.

Don't forget the Catholics.

TBF, you've been putting up a fine defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It happens to all religions.

Serious question, what happened to the blasphemy law and what is Boards official stance on it now? (Personally I think it's idiotic, but that's besides the point)

Advertisement