Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2014 EDITION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

Spend a few hours a day downloading the games from Ea Access, they are all 15GB+ so it could take ages

This.

Left it too late today & had to bail out before the kids finished school.
    Xbox update was quick enough, but it took about 30mins to download 20% of the 1st game of the EA app...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Sorry to jump in mid-thread with stupid noob questions.

Middle child has been on about an Xbox for a year or so. She's 9 and a huge Mine craft fan - like most of her age group it seems. She plays on a laptop at the moment

The Xbox will be a pretty big Xmas Prezzie so I want to spend the money on something that's going to have a significant lifespan, be usable by all the family (once she let's us) as it's replacing the Wii - for Netflix etc.

So am I right in thinking the Xbox 1 is the best way to go?

Also should I bother with a Kinect just yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

daragh_ wrote: »

Middle child has been on about an Xbox for a year or so. She's 9 and a huge Mine craft fan - like most of her age group it seems. She plays on a laptop at the moment

The Xbox will be a pretty big Xmas Prezzie so I want to spend the money on something that's going to have a significant lifespan, be usable by all the family (once she let's us) as it's replacing the Wii - for Netflix etc.

A 9 year old girl might get some mileage out of a kinect, I don't think they are worth the additional cost but at her age she might have interest in the likes of Just Dance or Dance Central games which use the kinect????.

Argos have an offer for a One without kinect, + forza 5 + Minecraft and a second controller for 389 at the minute.

Edit: As for netflix the one has the app , and you can play media from USB or over the network if you have a media server running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Throw an eye on CEX for a second hand Kinect, I heard they are dirt cheap second hand compared to buying new....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

daragh_ wrote: »

If its just Minecraft shes into, you could manage with just an xbox 360 to be fair, netflix is also available on that, as is the sky go app if you have an existing sky package.

Now - I dont want to be that guy who was the cause of someone who asked for an xbox one off santa to get a 360 - so if she asked for the one, proabably best to go that way!

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Throw an eye on CEX for a second hand Kinect, I heard they are dirt cheap second hand compared to buying new....

Good point, forgot about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

How much of a download is Fifa 15 on XB1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

If its just Minecraft shes into, you could manage with just an xbox 360 to be fair, netflix is also available on that, as is the sky go app if you have an existing sky package.

Now - I dont want to be that guy who was the cause of someone who asked for an xbox one off santa to get a 360 - so if she asked for the one, proabably best to go that way!

I think the xbox 360 is a bad idea if she's planing on getting a long idea out of the console as its 10 years old now and next year will prob be the last year we get any games for it as they all have stopped supporting it or giving ports of the Xbox one games with a lot missing from it.

Pay the extra €100 + and get something that is new and worth while as unless you get a 360 for less then 80 euros i won't be wasting money on one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Cheers folks. Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

I see a few posts above that the out of the box original update was 500mb.Thats just about passable with my lame BB. Anyone have any ideas about downloading game updates for online playing. This would be after Xmas I'd say at this stage . Some kind of payed updating service by someone shop/home etc. I would definitely pay a few quid for it. I read that the Halo update is over 50Gb.My broadband is capped at 4gb a day and only 2/3mb so I wouldn't have it down for weeks. I'm going to have one peeved boy at home I think when he realises he won't be able to play online. I was looking forward to Ea's set up too but games are just going to be 2 big to download.
    So maybe there might be a few quid for someone to earn with Fibre power.. So much per game update etc.
    I presume there isn't anything like it available at the moment around Cork/Limerick area..Tia.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

patq16 wrote: »
    I see a few posts above that the out of the box original update was 500mb.Thats just about passable with my lame BB. Anyone have any ideas about downloading game updates for online playing. This would be after Xmas I'd say at this stage . Some kind of payed updating service by someone shop/home etc. I would definitely pay a few quid for it. I read that the Halo update is over 50Gb.My broadband is capped at 4gb a day and only 2/3mb so I wouldn't have it down for weeks. I'm going to have one peeved boy at home I think when he realises he won't be able to play online. I was looking forward to Ea's set up too but games are just going to be 2 big to download.
    So maybe there might be a few quid for someone to earn with Fibre power.. So much per game update etc.

I presume there isn't anything like it available at the moment around Cork/Limerick area..Tia.!!

I'm like you and really feel I'm not gonna get the most out of the console now :(
    having said that a 50 GB update is ridiculous

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

km79 wrote: »
    I'm like you and really feel I'm not gonna get the most out of the console now :(
    having said that a 50 GB update is ridiculous

Pretty sure that the update is "only" about 20 GBs. If you were downloading the entire game, then yes, it would be about 50GBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads, another noob question, so forza got to 20% and installed, and i'm off to download fifa now, will forza continue to download the rest in the background? Also how big is minecraft download size

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

tinner777 wrote: »
    lads, another noob question, so forza got to 20% and installed, and i'm off to download fifa now, will forza continue to download the rest in the background? Also how big is minecraft download size

With some games, you can play a "demo" version of the game while it is installing. It's usually pretty restricted compared to the full game.

The Xbox works on a queue, so it'll probably finish downloading Forza before moving on to FIFA. I've had about 8 games in a download queue before, and it just keeps downloading.

Minecraft is 588.47 MB, you can find that out by going to the games page on your Xbox, or on Xbox.com.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Pretty sure that the update is "only" about 20 GBs. If you were downloading the entire game, then yes, it would be about 50GBs.

That could be right. I thought I read it on the Halo disc box in the shop that u needed at least 80gb.Not sure if there is 4 or 5 games on the master collection so that's maybe why it's so big.Either way 20Gb or 50Gb. I won't have a hope of downloading it at 3mb Internet. Probably will do him playing off line anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

thanks cat, that's fine as long as they have something to play xmas morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

That could be right. I thought I read it on the Halo disc box in the shop that u needed at least 80gb.Not sure if there is 4 or 5 games on the master collection so that's maybe why it's so big.Either way 20Gb or 50Gb. I won't have a hope of downloading it at 3mb Internet. Probably will do him playing off line anyway

It's 80gb hard drive space it takes up.
    Every Xbox game HAS to be installed to the hard drive. The disc is just for installation and license verification.

Like I said before, if you or anyone boardsie want games copied to an external hard drive usb 3.0 256gb or larger to be compatible with the xbox one for games storage. I'd happily copy all the EA games and any other game you might be getting that I happen to have. Just post the HDD to me, I'd copy games onto it and post it back.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Plan on setting up xbox this sunday night - under my pc table and queue 5 or 6 games til 3pm monday (school home time)
    am on fibre so hope all goes well.
    I can just imagine non-techy/boardsies folks out there on 25th morning - having to dl different items, with the nippers looking at them :(

Great thread....

Just a note on this.

If leaving the xbox on for a few hours to download games and updates etc go to settings and turn off the auto-off feature.
    Mine was set to 1hour.
    Changed it to "Never" while doing the downloading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

karltimber wrote: »
    Just a note on this.

If leaving the xbox on for a few hours to download games and updates etc go to settings and turn off the auto-off feature.
    Mine was set to 1hour.
    Changed it to "Never" while doing the downloading.

You can leave it on standby in instant on mode and it will still download games in your queue and updates, you can even set it up to auto download updates while off.

Just to let people now. I plugged in the new Xbox and did the initial update today. Was only 550 mb approx so not too bad for anyone with slow BB..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just to let people now. I plugged in the new Xbox and did the initial update today. Was only 550 mb approx so not too bad for anyone with slow BB..:)

worth doing it ahead of time if you can though, theres bound to be pressure on the servers come xmas morning as loads of new consoles connect for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Yup, my XB1 didn't play ball with my piece of crap UPC router and couldn't maintain a connection. Turned out it was borked and I needed a new router, would hate to have something like that happen on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

worth doing it ahead of time if you can though, theres bound to be pressure on the servers come xmas morning as loads of new consoles connect for the first time.

Ya the servers were bad enough when COD and GTA were released I can imagine Christmas day being a disaster for downloads.
    Also a certain group of basement dwellers that I won't name made threats on twitter to DDOS the servers over christmas

REf : Accounts

so have the xb1 all setup in my name, my email and more importantly my age.

so for the 3 kids - do I set them up each an account ?
    Is there a type of account, like a pc - admin, user - where they don't have access to 18+ games or purchases
    Is there settings for these accounts - time limits etc

I presume - they don't need email accounts either !!

Thx

K

Is there a type of account, like a pc - admin, user - where they don't have access to 18+ games or purchases

Thx

K

Have to admit, don't know much about the restricting accounts and such, but this should get you started on it: Xbox One Privacy and Online Safety.

From that, it looks like setting up three different accounts on the Xbox One is the way to go, allowing you to tailor the age restrictions for each.

Perhaps there's someone else here with direct experience that can help you more.

Thx

K

This is an older link http://internet-safety.yoursphere.com/2013/11/how-to-set-up-xbox-one-parental-controls-2/ so some of the options may have been changed in the more recent updates to the dash but should give you an idea where to look.

As for accounts, depending on the age of the kids it's probably a good idea to only use your account for purchases like DLC or games on sale etc and password protect your account, that way there'll be no nasty surprises on your credit card bill from them having gone and downloaded all the mincraft skins or Ultimate Team coins :D

After that they will need their own Gamertags set up , these are like a user name, their game saves etc are tied to these. They have to be unique , you can go with a system generated suggestion or make up your own. They will require emails to set up as far as I remember but it's been a few years since I created one. Take care with passwords you'll need them should you ever need to recover the accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Have got an XB1 for Christmas. Have most of the games loaded now via disc and I have approx 100gb left in storage. Luckily enough I nabbed a bargain on amazon on black Friday and invested in a 3TB external HD as well. My question is can I hook my 3TB EHD up to another XB1 One (where the internet is a lot quicker)Log into my live account and load and download digital games onto the HD or do I have to download all through my own XB1.

• Advertisement

Browning wrote: »
    Have got an XB1 for Christmas. Have most of the games loaded now via disc and I have approx 100gb left in storage. Luckily enough I nabbed a bargain on amazon on black Friday and invested in a 3TB external HD as well. My question is can I hook my 3TB EHD up to another XB1 One (where the internet is a lot quicker)Log into my live account and load and download digital games onto the HD or do I have to download all through my own XB1.

Yeah, so long as you log into your account.

Advertisement