Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

91 year old woman robbed of the money she saved for her own funeral

Options
2»

Comments

kylith wrote: »
    Is it awful that an old woman was targeted? Yes.
    Is it likely that she was targeted because elderly people often have money hidden in the house? Probably.

Poor woman, I hope she can get some measure of peace after this.

House robberies should be taken a lot more seriously by the judicial system. Enough is enough.

The fear I always have is that the scumbags enter a house with someone in it and the people who don't have any money stashed get a worse beating as the scumbags assume they are lying. Wish I didn't think that way :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

A big rollout of CCTV might help catch some of these people,Technology is there so might as well use it,Really is crazy the amount of break in's occurring at the moment.
    Up to individuals to do everything possible to make there homes less of a target though.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

bear1 wrote: »
    You do realise that this didn't happen in the ROI right?

Yes I did realise. So that means it ain't happening down here right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

a good comment under the independent article...
    Knowing this Government they will investigate whether she had tax paid savings. Time to have minimum 10 years for first offence and full restitution for victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

You can go to an undertaker and pay for your funeral and they will do it no matter how long more you live.I got an elderly relative who was in a panic over the funeral to do that.Headstone and all sorted.Headstone man insisted on putting the surname on to prevent it being robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Re: the op. If anyone finds a donations page, please post it & I'll throw some monies in for her.
    God Love Her,

Thanks,
    kerry4sam
    At least it didn't happen in Ireland.

I'd be confident in saying that it does. What also happens in Ireland can be seen in the following links by me taken only this afternoon. A donations box has been pried open; don't think they have CCTV at Tubrid Well at all (yet) but if so, maybe someone can find those responsible...

~ One
    ~ Two
    ~ Three.

People leave monies in that donations box in good faith for the great work done by volunteers who look after the grounds.,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Re: the op. If anyone finds a donations page, please post it & I'll throw some monies in for her.
    God Love Her,

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

I'd be confident in saying that it does. What also happens in Ireland can be seen in the following links by me taken only this afternoon. A donations box has been pried open; don't think they have CCTV at Tubrid Well at all (yet) but if so, maybe someone can find those responsible...

~ One
    ~ Two
    ~ Three.

People leave monies in that donations box in good faith for the great work done by volunteers who look after the grounds.,
    kerry4sam

Disgusting. They could have used the monies to upgrade it to a class two relic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If more and more people start to treat crimes like this as 'just another robbery', then maybe the time has come to start sensationalising?

Exactly. When we depersonalise crime and attitudes to it we lose our humanity. When we consign crimes and pain to statistics we become less than human. There is no such thing as " just another robbery"... that attitude is uncaring and inhuman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

lazygal wrote: »
    1) Not everyone over 68 is a delicate pensioner. I know pensioners well over that age who'd give me a run for my money in the fitness stakes.

Great, so in that case the would-be burglars get a hiding as well as an extra 10 years on their sentence. Society wins, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

On the upside when she dies she'll be just as dead on the cheap.

I know It won't feel like that to her and of course it's aterrible thing to do, but still, in a way it's a bit of a victimless crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

Little old lady a few miles up the road, she lives alone. Nice, decent, quiet woman. Of course, the skangbags prey on her mercilessly.

I drive past slowly, with my fingers crossed - one day hopefully they will be coming out/parked at/going into her house. I will reinforce their moral fiber to a high degree with extreme prejudice.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I know the way it's reported is salacious and rabble-rousing, but I don't agree with being all blasé, "It's just another robbery - they happen all the time" either.
    I don't disagree with reporting of these incidents - there's nothing in them to be jaded about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Grayson wrote: »
    Define elderly?

Anyone over 3. Ya get a year extra sentence for every year over 3 years old that your victim was. Robbing the 3 and unders gets you life.

:rolleyes:

What are you rolling yer eyes for? Because the big bad robbers would be too bad and tough? Or no way would we dare give them a hammering? Lol. That's what you think. Roll on.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Awful and tragic news

What are you rolling yer eyes for? Because the big bad robbers would be too bad and tough? Or no way would we dare give them a hammering? Lol. That's what you think. Roll on.

Yeah you guessed pretty spot on, unless your jackie chan or something there's now way you should be confident enough to WANT to get into a fight against (potentially) a whole gang of lads. What if one of them has a baseball bat or a knife? Unless you just carry around a gun with you 24/7 I guess.

Another reason I'm rolling my eyes is your post always comes up with any of these stories. Always along the lines of "oh if they done that to my wife/mother/friend/child I would do jail time". It's so self congratulatory, go jack off somewhere else

Yeah you guessed pretty spot on, unless your jackie chan or something there's now way you should be confident enough to WANT to get into a fight against (potentially) a whole gang of lads. What if one of them has a baseball bat or a knife? Unless you just carry around a gun with you 24/7 I guess.

Another reason I'm rolling my eyes is your post always comes up with any of these stories. Always along the lines of "oh if they done that to my wife/mother/friend/child I would do jail time". It's so self congratulatory, go jack off somewhere else

I live on a farm. We have had skangbags try it on loads of times. I'll pass on the jacking off. The vans laden down with work tools, pick handles in case one breaks etc etc. I also strongly believe all it takes for the scum to win is for decent people to do nothing. Personally, I'd batter em. ;) I know plenty others exactly the same as me. Not everyone is a 9 stone weakling.

If you consider looking out for elderly neighbours as "self congratulatory", maybe it's you who needs to take a look in the mirror. I don't intend changing anyway.

I live on a farm.
    Join the club!
    Not everyone is a 9 stone weakling.
    LOL, I wish I was nine stone again, but nice attempted insult anyway

Your attitude reeks of someone who has never been in any kind of fight in their life though, It's not about how big and tough you think you are, and you haven't a hope against multiple people (unless you're some kind of ninja like I said)
    I also strongly believe all it takes for the scum to win is for decent people to do nothing. Personally, I'd batter em.
    Your beliefs won't help you in a fight though, I'm not really sure why you think they would
    If you consider looking out for elderly neighbours as "self congratulatory", maybe it's you who needs to take a look in the mirror. I don't intend changing anyway.
    It's pretty clear from my post that I was calling your post self-congratulatory, not the act of helping your neighbours, but nice try anyway

Join the club!
    LOL, I wish I was nine stone again, but nice attempted insult anyway

Your attitude reeks of someone who has never been in any kind of fight in their life though, It's not about how big and tough you think you are, and you haven't a hope against multiple people (unless you're some kind of ninja like I said)

Your beliefs won't help you in a fight though, I'm not really sure why you think they would

It's pretty clear from my post that I was calling your post self-congratulatory, not the act of helping your neighbours, but nice try anyway

I had a giggle there, thanks for that. ;) Are you a jogger?

Nope and I have no idea what you mean by that.

Forgot to mention, I like the implication you made that any 1 person who can't single handedly "batter" a group of others is a "9 stone weakling"

• Advertisement

Nope and I have no idea what you mean by that.

Forgot to mention, I like the implication you made that any 1 person who can't single handedly "batter" a group of others is a "9 stone weakling"

Pity. I was going to tell you to jog on.

Out of interest, how big a group of people do you think you could beat in a fight? 5? 10? 20? I'm interested to see just how deluded you are

Advertisement