Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Murray will win an Oscar in his lifetime. Who else?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 9:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Well he nearly got there with St Vincent, but not quite. But he will some day.

Before Bill retires I think he will do a serious role that will get him the gold. Call it a hunch. He will pull out a performance similar to Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting. Im making the obvious comparison here as both are better known for comediac roles. In fact thats all really Bill is known for.

But there was something in that performance in St Vincent that convinced me he has a special ability in there somewhere to one day get his hands on an Oscar.

Who else do you think will win one some day that hasnt already done so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Bill Murray should have won the Oscar for 'lost in translation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

sxt wrote: »
    Bill Murray should have won the Oscar for 'lost in translation'.
    Yeah, i agree. He lost to Sean Penn in Mystic River, i think Lost in Translation has stood the test of time far better than mystic river.

I hope he wins, and he is certainly getting the potential roles over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Liam Neeson is still owed one for Schindlers List. So if he'll just stop misplacing his family for cash and reads a script for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Would he not be considered a great if he fails to win one? Or does winning one automatically welcome one into that club?

My opinion of Murray wouldn't change in the slightest based on him winning an oscar or not. My opinion of him also lends me to believe that he wouldn't be too bothered himself but maybe I'm way off there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

He should have won for Quick Change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

I'm aware of the whole no list deal, but there's just so many who deserve Oscars and are passed over.

So, I'm gonna list a few...

John Turturro
    Timothy Spall
    Steven Buscemi
    John Goodman
    Alan Rickman
    John Hurt
    Martin Sheen
    David Thewlis

I could go on, the list is endless really. It seems to be easier for women to win it tbh (as long as Meryl Streep hasn't a decent film that year) but there's many a person to be passed over because of the whole bullshít of Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Leo DiCaprio and Tom Cruise

How neither have won one is an absolute mockery tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

thebullkf wrote: »

Leo - agree

But Cruise :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Well he nearly got there with St Vincent, but not quite. But he will some day.

He could still be nominated for that couldn't he? Is it 2015 already? Although the Academy prefer dramatic roles to comedy and from the trailers it looks more comedic. I haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Its a very enjoyable film. While there is a lot of comedy in the movie his character is much deeper than the grumpy old man who's down on his luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Leo - agree

Cruise has been unlucky quite a few times during his career.

Firstly, he wasn't even nominated for his supporting role in Rain Man, which he played just right, imo. It was an understated role, but impressed just as much as Hoffman's showier performance.

Then, he lost two leading actor Oscar nominations (In Born on the Fourth of July and Jerry Maguire respectively) to Daniel Day Lewis and Geoffrey Rush.

The most unfair loss, imo, was in 2000, when he was nominated for his brilliant supporting role in Magnolia, but lost to Michael Caine for The Cider House Rules. That was a real shame.

I think nowadays, he's happy enough starring in high-stunt blockbuster actioners (see Liam Neeson) and unless he decides to get his teeth into proper acting roles again, his Oscar hopes are pretty much behind him now.

My pick for an actor who should hopefully win an Oscar in his lifetime, is Ralph Fiennes. He lost out for The English Patient and completely inexplicably lost out to Tommy Lee Jones in 1994 for his role as Amon Goeth in Schindler's List. Still can't get my head around that one.

I'd love to see him nominated for The Grand Budapest Hotel this year, but I'm not holding out too much hope for that one. I'll just have to pin my hopes on another great underrated actor finally getting a nod in Michael Keaton for Birdman.

Leo - agree

4th of July
    Interview with the Vampire
    Collateral
    Valkyrie

Or

Tropic Thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

And the Oscar for "Best Male Running In A Movie" goes to......Tom Cruise!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

GastroBoy wrote: »
    And the Oscar for "Best Male Running In A Movie" goes to......Tom Cruise!

:pac:

Yeah, he may not have won an Oscar, but he has won three MTV Movie Awards and a Mexican MTV movie award for....wait for it...'Funniest American in Japan' for The Last Samurai :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kevin Bacon, FFS

Easily one of the hardest-working actors in Hollywood. OK, so he became big on the back of a super-cheesy 80's teen movie, but plenty of people did.

Since then he's proven himself to be massively versatile from action comedy in Tremors, to darker and more serious roles like Mystic River and Sleepers, as well as the big-budget action blockbusters like X-Men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

thebullkf wrote: »

Wouldn't really agree there on DiCaprio. Good actor and he has a brilliant charisma/presence about him, but most of his biggest roles in the last decade are him playing Leonardo DiCaprio (did a great job in Django Unchained as though). His three nominations have been for The Aviator, Blood Diamond and Wolf of Wall Street where he deservedly lost out to Jamie Foxx (Ray), Forrest Whitaker (Last King of Scotland) and Matthew McConnaughey (Dallas Buyer's Club). Blood Diamond I was actually pretty underwhelmed by.

I haven't seen it in a good 10+ years so might be off on this, but I thought his best performance might have been The Basketball Diaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Jake Gyllenhaal will definitely win one, he just needs the right script

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Do film people really still care about the Oscars?

TBH, they've just become fodder for the gossip / "style" magazines and are a better indication of a good marketing campaign than a good performance / film at this stage...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Do film people really still care about the Oscars?

TBH, they've just become fodder for the gossip / "style" magazines and are a better indication of a good marketing campaign than a good performance / film at this stage...
    I pretty much agree, but I also reckon that's more or less what they always were to an extent (just under a more self important guise), only the internet and such has made that far more noticeable and talked about. Though in part they are a it more so now with the quality of movies taking a dip as production/marketing costs have gone too high to take many risks, and with TV taking over in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I love Bill Murray but have a dislike for the Oscars for some questionable decisions made over the years. A life time achoevrment Oscar would be an offence to the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Yeah, i agree. He lost to Sean Penn in Mystic River, i think Lost in Translation has stood the test of time far better than mystic river.

I hope he wins, and he is certainly getting the potential roles over the years.

Mystic river is a far better movie imo

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Mystic river is a far better movie imo

That I cannot agree with, Lost in translation is in my top 15 movies

Love me a bit of Scarlett also

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Jim Carrey should have had one for Man on the Moon but the industry hates him so he'll never win one.

Should a comedy award be added to the Oscars or does it cheapen the awards? John c Reilly came from serious roles to comedy and hr is wonderful as a comedian

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You couldn't possibly cheapen the Oscars at this point...

Murray will no doubt get one when the hivemind decide it's "his turn" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

That I cannot agree with, Lost in translation is in my top 15 movies

Love me a bit of Scarlett also

I agree except that its in my top 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Should a comedy award be added to the Oscars or does it cheapen the awards? John c Reilly came from serious roles to comedy and hr is wonderful as a comedian

The fact that there's no award for certain things, like comedies, just kind of aggravates the idea that the Oscars are a waste. So many films have missed out. Also, that as far as they seem to be concerned, literally only one non American movie is worthy every year. One? Really? That drives me mental, man.......

Also, that as far as they seem to be concerned, literally only one non American movie is worthy every year. One? Really? That drives me mental, man.......

It is an American awards show set up by Hollywood for Hollywood in all fairness

It is an American awards show set up by Hollywood for Hollywood in all fairness

That doesn't make it right. The biggest travisty at the Oscars was Tommy Lee Jones winning best support for his role in the fugitive over Ralph Fiennes in Schindlers list. I mean, Jesus wept, who made that call??

• Advertisement

That doesn't make it right. The biggest travisty at the Oscars was Tommy Lee Jones winning best support for his role in the fugitive over Ralph Fiennes in Schindlers list. I mean, Jesus wept, who made that call??
    Schindlers List is a Hollywood film, though?

Advertisement