Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hozier comes under fire from feminists for performing at Victoria's Secret show

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What's a "Hozier"? Like, half Hoosier, half Hoser? ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Morag wrote: »
    If Hozier hadn't of banged on about being against misogyny and asking why he grew up in a misogynistic society in a press interview to score points then this article would have never happened. He can't have his cake and eat it, pretty much like those models.

There is nothing misogynistic about the Victorias secret fashion show, its a lingerie fashion show, nothing more and SJW getting worked up about it need their heads examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Hozier was born in 1990. He did not grow up in a misogynistic society ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I only ever heard of this Hozier fella when this story came out. Is he very popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I only ever heard of this Hozier fella when this story came out. Is he very popular?

Nominated for song of the year in the upcoming Grammy Awards and has been selling out venues all over the world for the last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

He made his name with a song called Take Me To Church (the Sinead O'Connor song of the same name actually came after it) - I like it; reminds me of very early Elton John which was actually really good (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in particular).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

An example of the crazy side of feminism. Best if everyone, including more moderate feminists treat it with the contempt it deserves. IT really has turned into a bit of a rag in recent years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

A man wrote this one, a woman wrote a piece on the same thing a few days ago though.

This is what I find particularly weird about men supporting militant feminism - it's blatantly hostile towards them.

They're probably pandering in desperate hopes of ending their sex drought. White knights, basically. One day they'll actually stop and think for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

If Hozier hadn't of banged on about being against misogyny and asking why he grew up in a misogynistic society in a press interview to score points then this article would have never happened. He can't have his cake and eat it, pretty much like those models.

For once I agree with you on a thread about feminism :) if he didn't try and big up his social justice credentials by making vapid points I would be defending him from this criticism but he seems to be trying to have his cake and eat it here.

Very catchy song about gay right = profits + extremely positive media exposure
    VinLieger wrote: »
    There is nothing misogynistic about the Victorias secret fashion show, its a lingerie fashion show, nothing more and SJW getting worked up about it need their heads examined.

Not misogynistic, but if your of that mindset to find fault there is all the body image stuff and they did just have that "Perfect Body" ad campaign that caused controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Hozier strikes me as a top man.He's down to earth,orginal,talented and comes across as a gent.fair play to him for making a few pounds for himself and having a bit of fun.**** the detractors!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

If Hozier hadn't of banged on about being against misogyny and asking why he grew up in a misogynistic society in a press interview to score points then this article would have never happened.

So because the man has said that he feels that there is misogyny in society, he must now see it everywhere he goes from now on, even if it doesn't exist in those places?

What kind of nonsensical logic is that?
    He can't have his cake and eat it, pretty much like those models.

Ah, a little skinny shaming too. How nice.
    Hozier is not under fire from feminists, he is under fire from misguided and clueless people who have been labelled as feminist. Either the definition of feminist is incredibly broad and vague or else they are being incorrectly labelled.

I spent over four years at NWCI and in all the dealings which we had with Anthea McTeirnan (and there were many) it was always quite clear to us that she was a feminist activist. Nothing out of the ordinary there of course and I was one myself at the time and so far from her being 'labelled' here as a feminist by those with an agenda, which seems to be what was being implied, it is Anthea herself that chosen to identify as such.

:rolleyes: Ridiculous articles like do this do a hell of a lot more damage to feminism than Hozier or Ed Sheeran singing at a fashion show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im getting sick of the bull from some of the feminists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

There might be SOME hope of stopping this avalanche - this daily tsunami of extreme feminism and misandry in the Irish Ties and Indo if some of us here actually took a few minutes out of our time and put pen to actual paper and write to these newspapers.

They live in a bubble where they suck in all of this feminist nonsense, and us men who are the victims of the sh1t blow off our steam here on Boards. We need to take it to THEM !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Piliger wrote: »
    There might be SOME hope of stopping this avalanche - this daily tsunami of extreme feminism and misandry in the Irish Ties and Indo if some of us here actually took a few minutes out of our time and put pen to actual paper and write to these newspapers.

They live in a bubble where they suck in all of this feminist nonsense, and us men who are the victims of the sh1t blow off our steam here on Boards. We need to take it to THEM !!

I find the sense of fiery rage these articles give me quiet useful though. Nothing like reading the Guardians Comment Is Free section and having my blood boil to cut down on the heating bills on these cold winters nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Meh, I usually get very passionate about this subject as some of ye know, but I'm starting to think that as a musician or performer of any kind, being attacked by feminists is something of a rite of passage at this stage, a badge of honour.
    "Hey have you heard of this band? They're going to be the next big thing!" "Nah I don't think their time has come just yet, they haven't been accused of misogyny on Twitter" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Meh, I usually get very passionate about this subject as some of ye know, but I'm starting to think that as a musician or performer of any kind, being attacked by feminists is something of a rite of passage at this stage, a badge of honour.
    "Hey have you heard of this band? They're going to be the next big thing!" "Nah I don't think their time has come just yet, they haven't been accused of misogyny on Twitter" :D

Its a pity they don't turn their attention to a real feminist issue like the plight of the Yazidi women bought and sold as sex slaves in Iraq and Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

People sometimes get the words sexism and sexy confused

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

somefeen wrote: »
    People sometimes get the words sexism and sexy confused

Really ? Where ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

Piliger wrote: »
    Really ? Where ?

Maybe it was a joke. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement