Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated band

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

So after reading this thread I've concluded an "overrated band" means "a band that I don't like that other people do"?

A challenge; Name one band that everybody would unanimously agree is not overrated?

you will probably not get a unanimous decisio since people are giving their opinions.

care to define what your definition of an overrated band was before you learned on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The only band that actually aren't overrated (no matter what anyone says) is the Beatles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

So after reading this thread I've concluded an "overrated band" means "a band that I don't like that other people do"?

A challenge; Name one band that everybody would unanimously agree is not overrated?

steps??
    everyone says there sh1te!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Vengaboys

Kevin Federline

Paris Hilton

Aqua

Ace of Base

Roxette

Cheeky Girls

Limp Bizkit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Basically any Irish band/artist that lives in Whelans and gets written up by Hot Press, seems to be a scene with a lot of big fish in a very very small pond.

Also Florence and the Machine, a blander far less talented version of PJ Harvey or innumerable other female indie artists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Shouldn't this thread just be renamed 'List successful bands you don't like'?

I agree. But sometimes you like a band and still understand that they're over rated. From bands I like:

Muse - Most of their albums are filler. Worth seeing live though.
    Daft Punk - Decent band, but jasus, they could release an album of fox mating noises and it would get amazing reviews
    Radiohead - Their last good album was OK Computer. Shíte since then.
    Blur - Used to like them but press the skip button anytime they come on when "random" is pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Snow Patrol
    the Script
    U2
    The Beetles
    Westlife
    Snoop Dog
    Jay Z
    Rhianna

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Saralee4 wrote: »
    I would have to agree with 'Guns and Roses' and 'Aerosmith'. They have a kind of 'Bon Jovi' feel about them!

Also 'Journey', they just make me cringe.

Listen to Journeys early stuff
    Most never heard of them until the Sopranos ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'll name 3..

The Pixies
    Arcade Fire
    Stone Roses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The only band that actually aren't overrated (no matter what anyone says) is the Beatles.

And Elvis, though....he's not really a band.

You could argue a few others though, I can't comment on musical genres that I don't like....so I can't say Metallica or Rammstein or the likes are overrated, as I know little about that genre and it doesn't appeal to me to begin with.

I think Rolling Stones are fairly solid and can't see how any can class them as overrated, you need to dump the image of them as aging rockers now..and take their music when it was released as the example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Nirvana are the most overrated band ever. They wouldn't even warrant a footnote had the gob****e not killed himself. As for him being this amazing guitar player/lyricist? Please. Creatively inept moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

david75 wrote: »
    Nirvana are the most overrated band ever. They wouldn't even warrant a footnote had the gob****e not killed himself. As for him being this amazing guitar player/lyricist? Please. Creatively inept moron.

Im not sure ive ever heard of him being considered a great guitarist but "Please" Nirvana were huge in an international way that no band has been since. In this part of the world Oasis were maybe as big big not so much further afield. His suicide didnt make them a bigger band then they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

One Direction....I just don't understand the hype. But then I'm no longer a teenage girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

U2
    The Script
    Green Day
    Keane

Not a band, but still ridiculously overrated:
    Kanye West
    JayZ
    Beck (person or band, crap anyways)

And obviously One Direction and all that other X Factor sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭tigger123

Never understood The Pixies. Can't stand his voice, and can't stand the production on their albums.

Heard a cover of Here Comes Your Man a few months ago and it was the first time I could appreciate their song writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭tigger123

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    U2
    The Script
    Green Day
    Keane

Not a band, but still ridiculously overrated:
    Kanye West
    JayZ
    Beck (person or band, crap anyways)

Sea Change by Beck might change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

ASH, Christ not a voice in the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

tigger123 wrote: »
    Sea Change by Beck might change your mind.

Off to Spotify I go. Will report back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

e_e wrote: »
    The National. Once heard them described as "Coldplay for hipsters." and it's not far off imo. One or two of their tracks at a time sound nice enough but whoa do they all blur into one another. :pac:

I'm a big fan of theirs, but I see where you're coming from with the last album. One or two good songs but a lot of similar stuff. I think Alligator is a fantastic album, and has some pretty diverse tracks, definitely one of their better ones.

In terms of being overrated, I suppose it depends on whether we're talking rated by critical acclaim v. rated by fan base/airplay. If it's the latter then I'm not sure anyone could class them as overrated. Add to that, whoever described them as ''Coldplay for hipsters'' clearly doesn't rate them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I think the Artic Monkeys are slightly overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jarrod wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of theirs, but I see where you're coming from with the last album. One or two good songs but a lot of similar stuff. I think Alligator is a fantastic album, and has some pretty diverse tracks, definitely one of their better ones.

In terms of being overrated, I suppose it depends on whether we're talking rated by critical acclaim v. rated by fan base/airplay. If it's the latter then I'm not sure anyone could class them as overrated. Add to that, whoever described them as ''Coldplay for hipsters'' clearly doesn't rate them.
    Alligator I'll grant you is the best I've heard of theirs but I've tried getting into a few of their albums since and they're just very nondescript and monotonous to me. I'd honestly have trouble distinguishing some of the tracks from the rest.

I thought the movie they made (Mistaken for Strangers) was pretty good though, maybe because it's more about the guy behind the camera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Mumford and Sons.

I think most people are of the opinion that they are sh!te so how they sell any records is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ill go with the Obvious and say U2.

But if we can mention single artists too, I think Hozier is a over-rated pile of donkey excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    U2

Kanye West
    JayZ

To be fair to Kanye West, he is a top class producer. He creates the vast majority of his beats/samples himself, and the production values on his records are almost always outstanding. Whatever about him as a person (I actually find him hilarious as an aside), his music has always been of a very good standard.

1D, love them or hate them...they have the best songwriters in the world at their disposal with some very catchy melodies. Zayn, Harry and Liam are also above average in the vocal department.

This is me trying to approach it from a fair and objective viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Radiohead are absolutely diabolical. Creep is decent and they have a few more decent tracks but the vast majority is complete trash. I actually thought people like them in a trolling kind of way when I first heard them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

To be fair to Kanye West, he is a top class producer. He creates the vast majority of his beats/samples himself, and the production values on his records are almost always outstanding. Whatever about him as a person (I actually find him hilarious as an aside), his music has always been of a very good standard.

He creates his own samples? Lolwhut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

1D, love them or hate them...they have the best songwriters in the world at their disposal with some very catchy melodies. Zayn, Harry and Liam are also above average in the vocal department.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

/quote]

He creates his own samples? Lolwhut.

Poorly phrased perhaps, but you know what I mean. The selection, modulation, alteration of speed of, root inversion of said sample etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

This is me trying to approach it from a fair and objective viewpoint.

you really think 1 direction have the best song writers?

I don't know much of their songs. The lyrics that come to mind are 'baby you light up my life like nobody else, you don't no oh oh you don't know your beautiful'.

I just find their lyrics bland with no real feeling or real emotion.

look at "jealous guy". When you hear that song you relate, you can hear the man's vulnerability in the song and that's what makes it. It's real. Like you think he really experienced that.

Or say Bob Dylan, "it ain't me babe". The song paints a sad but lovely picture of a girl who has all these expectations from this man and he can't give her that.

I dint know, I guess one d songs do something for their target audience and maybe they have the best song writers that can target the lyrics to teenagers but there is no real depth to their songs.

I just thought of another one, what's that band with that women Fergy and they sing that awful party song something like "everybody partying, we are all partying tonight" haha that's not the words but some crap along those lines :)

Advertisement