Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Xmas dinner!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Usually just take a giant slab of ham and some mash for christmas dinner, there's turkey and all sorts of veg done too but generally don't bother with those

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Roasted spuds, sausages wrapped in bacon, brussel sprouts, swede mash, cabbage, croquets, stuffing, baked ham (lots of it), little bit of turkey and gravy made from the juices of the meat and stock. After that it's either apple or cranberry pie. Most cases I just stuff my face with chocolate bars though. Don't drink with my dinner as I find I always get too bloated. I live for ham and stuffing sandwiches though. The idea of a fry up before all that would kill me. Usually it's a diet of king crisps and chocolate before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Turkey (roasted with streaky bacon breast)
    Pork stuffing cooked outside the bird.
    Baked Ham (Honey & Mustard)
    Roasties (done in goose fat)
    Roast parsnips & carrots (with honey)
    Peas
    Brocolli
    Celery
    Sprouts (bar boiled, chopped and fried with lardons, chestnuts and garlic - otherwise I find them manky)
    Cranberry sauce

Plum pudding & cream for dessert
    Two glasses of good claret.
    A little snooze
    then an evening walk.

I'm not a fan of turkey but traditionally it has to be turkey, I don't eat it any other time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Soup and bread rolls (veg in my mams, butternut squash in mine).

Pate (mams homemade) and more bread.

Turkey, ham, stuffing, roasties (homemade in mine, Aunt Bessie's in my mams!!!), mash, carrots and parsnip mash, sprouts, mushy peas if in mine, gravy, cranberry sauce.

More pate.

Dessert (choice of trifle/pudding/cheesecake).

More pate.

Cheeseboard.

More pate.

Tea/coffee, chocolates, mince pies (homemade by me)

Finish of the pate.

/die

Oh man so jealous of the pate. I can handle all the pregnancy related food restrictions but christmas without pate is going to suck!!!

Oh man so jealous of the pate. I can handle all the pregnancy related food restrictions but christmas without pate is going to suck!!!

What's the reason for not being able to eat pate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Tastes like sh*'te?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Christmas dinner 1997 was interesting, no power or phone (no mobile phones either) but we had gas so used that to cook the dinner.
    Dinner was fine...
    We kept turkeys and my mother would sell some for Christmas, but would also keep some for the freezer.
    After dinner, cleaned up and my mother went and started cleaning out turkeys that had been hanging up since there wasn't much else to do.
    Thankfully the power came back on that evening, really appreciate those ESB workers...

Tastes like sh*'te?

Can't say I've ever had the displeasure of tasting shyte :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Yay - Christmas dinner!!!

My mum is mental (in a good way). We wouldn't have many people over for Christmas dinner, but she cooks a feck load of stuff anyway.

Starting off on Christmas Eve, I am the official stuffing taster. Breadcrumbs and onions and melted butter and seasoning is so good!!!

Then dinner is usually around 2pm, but starts getting prepared around 8am! Turkey AND ham AND a giant roast chicken. My mum puts rashers on the turkey and chicken for the last bit of their cooking. (Then I become the official rasher taster.)

Roasties and mash and croquettes, and carrots and parsnip, and corn, and sprouts, and cranberry sauce and home-made gravy. Trifle for desert, but I'm normally barely able to sit up at that stage from food, and just waiting until I get hungry again so that I can start with the sammiches.

God - I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Pate should be avoided during a pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yay - Christmas dinner!!!

My mum is mental (in a good way). We wouldn't have many people over for Christmas dinner, but she cooks a feck load of stuff anyway.

Starting off on Christmas Eve, I am the official stuffing taster. Breadcrumbs and onions and melted butter and seasoning is so good!!!

Then dinner is usually around 2pm, but starts getting prepared around 8am! Turkey AND ham AND a giant roast chicken. My mum puts rashers on the turkey and chicken for the last bit of their cooking. (Then I become the official rasher taster.)

Roasties and mash and croquettes, and carrots and parsnip, and corn, and sprouts, and cranberry sauce and home-made gravy. Trifle for desert, but I'm normally barely able to sit up at that stage from food, and just waiting until I get hungry again so that I can start with the sammiches.

God - I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like our place. Start eating Xmas eve and finish around the 30th :D

Usually have to be rolled out of the house :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Can't say I've ever had the displeasure of tasting shyte :P

Never been to burger king at 4am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Calibos wrote: »
    Repeats in head over and over so will never forget such an epic expression... :D

It's great, I love throwing it into conversation, if only to witness people's bemused expressions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

And the part to too it all of: *drum roll*
    Gravy mixed with the juice from all the meat :)

I'm no good at making gravy from scratch but the bisto MUST be made with the water from the spuds and juices from the turkey.

Isn't all gravy made from the juices of the meat? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Sounds like our place. Start eating Xmas eve and finish around the 30th :D

Usually have to be rolled out of the house :pac:

Yep! It's somehow become tradition that we have smoked salmon and proper brown soda bread with loads of mayo and black pepper and lemon juice for tea on Christmas Eve too. Eh - WTF is tea for the rest of the year! Then turkey and mushroom vol-au-vents on Stephen's Day. And that's just the official eating - not to mention all the in-between snacks.

Sure, it's just fatting yourself up for the cold weather in January. :D

And there's the obligatory box of Roses too. AAAAAAND - I just remembered - they had the coffee ones again last year!!! I may be shunned for this - but the coffee ones are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ghnjfbduhf

i honestly dont care as long as theres stuffing, roasties, turkey, and cranberry sauce. everything else i do also enjoy though

I'll be cooking the dinner this year (cnuts).

Those damn cnuts! good luck with the cooking :D

anncoates wrote: »

As much as I love Christmas, I can take or leave the traditional dinner.

I gotta say, I fúcking LOVE the traditional spread. I love turkey if it's cooked well (and my mother cooks it GOOD). It has a lovely flavour distinct from chicken. And clove-y baked ham, NOM. And roasties and my own personal fave form of potatoes: mashed. Never tire of mash despite eating it a few times a week, every week. And then STUFFING; God's food. And gravy! And my own homemade cranberry sauce, way better to shop bought stuff if I do say so. The right amount of sharp and sweet.

Yep, love it! :D

smurgen wrote: »
    if they're not good I'll be in Henry Sellars mode for the night.

LOL! :pac::D

Pate should be avoided during a pregnancy.

Uh huh but I was asking why! I googled it, it's cos of listeria so it is.
    Never been to burger king at 4am?

Don't think I have! Burger King at any time of the day is shyte though. Can't stand the place.

I'm craving pate now.

• Advertisement

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I gotta say, I fúcking LOVE the traditional spread. I love turkey if it's cooked well (and my mother cooks it GOOD). It has a lovely flavour distinct from chicken. And clove-y baked ham, NOM. And roasties and my own personal fave form of potatoes: mashed. Never tire of mash despite eating it a few times a week, every week. And then STUFFING; God's food. And gravy! And my own homemade cranberry sauce, way better to shop bought stuff if I do say so. The right amount of sharp and sweet.

Yep, love it! :D

couldnt have put it better myself :D

Isn't all gravy made from the juices of the meat? :confused:

Usually I just make Bisto with water from spuds or from the kettle. If I am making a roast, I will use the juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I did the cooking for the first time last year. Good decision, and bad decision.
    I cooked a turkey crown wrapped in a bacon lattice and now it's been decided that I do Christmas dinner every year.

Also did a honey glazed ham, rosties in duck fat, fondant potatoes, croquettes (obviously), and sausage & safe stuffing.
    Gravy was the only thing I didn't really nail (by my own modest standards), got quite salty with the drippings from all that bacon. Tasted fantastic, I just think it sped up my impending heart attack.

I'll be cooking the dinner this year (cnuts).

This guy? :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_%28polar_bear%29
    After that, I'm going to my OH's mam's house to get drunk.

Will your OH be there? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Uh huh but I was asking why! I googled it, it's cos of listeria so it is.

You can't have whipped ice cream for the same reason. Baxtards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

No one is after mentioning spiced beef?! :eek: It wouldn't be Christmas without the smell of spiced beef through the house Christmas.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No idea what it will be, the brothers missus cooks it so they usually make a place at the table for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Christmas dinner always at 3, any other time just don't feel right!

I'm cooking this year for the first time for 7 people and will be having:

Starters; my mothers carrot and parsnip soup with cream, its to die for!

Roast turkey breast boned and rolled
    Honey glazed ham
    Roast parsnips & carrots
    Roast and mash spuds
    Sprouts with bacon pieces (yuck) for my dad
    Yorkshire puds
    Home made stuffing balls
    Home made gravy with juices of meat

Sherry trifle probably
    Some other dessert haven't decided yet

Cheeseboard & crackers
    Tea, coffee, baileys, beer, brandy, whiskey, red wine, white wine etc etc

Sandwiches later on from leftovers nom nom!

Chocolates and various other christmas treats

Fall asleep watching Christmas TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

lukesmom wrote: »
    Home made stuffing balls

Want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Turkey and ham with bacon-fried Brussel sprouts, roasted honeyed parsnips, roast potatoes, carrots, home-made sage & onion stuffing, lashings of cranberry sauce and about 5 or 6 potato croquettes, all washed down with a few glasses of Liefraumilch and followed by a generous bowl of me ma's boozy trifle.
    Can't wait! :D

Advertisement