Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drink Drive Law in Scotland

Options
13»

Comments

can you ever see a time/day when they would lower it to zero? - in other words if your driving no drink is permitted?
    Technically impossible, some foods ferment a bit in the stomach, so some people can register (well below the limit) on a breathalyser without taking an alcoholic drink.

So NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

Beano wrote: »
    Do you expect the effect to be immediate?

More than likely. Lots of publicity on its introduction with great public awareness and good intentions followed by slipping back into old habits. A bit like New Year's resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Way back when I used to have a few pints after work on a friday night and vroom vroom home in the car- did not see any issue with it as I felt fine.

Then I got a motor bike and I remember having a single pint and trying to ride it....a few seconds on the bike and I realised the effect that 1 pint had on me. It was a lot more obvious to me on the bike than in the car where more of your senses and skills come in to play.

Have not driven anything after a snifted of booze since.

This is utterly commendable behaviour. Recognising your own limit and keeping within it.

Which is the way to go.

The blood alcohol levels are a guideline. Not a blanket excuse to give outrage junkies free reign to castigate people who are doing no harm to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

This is utterly commendable behaviour. Recognising your own limit and keeping within it.

Which is the way to go.

The blood alcohol levels are a guideline. Not a blanket excuse to give outrage junkies free reign to castigate people who are doing no harm to anyone.
    the blood alcohol levels are not a guideline. they are a fixed limit.

Beano wrote: »
    Nobody is criminalising moderate drinking. What is being criminalised is drinking followed by driving. After a few pints we all think we are nigel mansell and that our driving is faultless.

Yes you are if you are making it a crime to drive while in an unimpaired state because of an arbitrary choice of blood alcohol level.

And please don't get me wrong. We should of course restrict people who have had TOO MUCH alcohol from driving. But you cannot, or should not be allowed, to equate having a pint (or two) after work before driving home with staying all night in the pub playing Tequila Boat Races before staggering to the car and driving in the vague direction of anywhere.

And as for your "We all think we are nigel mansell" Speak for yourself, sir.

(I can't imagine ANY woman ever wanting to be Nigel Mansell)

• Advertisement

exgp wrote: »
    There was an article in The Sunday Times some years ago when the English were talking about reducing their limit to 50mgs%. The police were against it saying it would be a waste of their time to be prosecuting drivers between 50 and 80mgs% when they should be chasing motorists who drive with blood alcohols of 150-200mgs% as happens regularly in this jurisdiction.

Sensible policemen! Who would have thought it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Yes you are if you are making it a crime to drive while in an unimpaired state because of an arbitrary choice of blood alcohol level.

And please don't get me wrong. We should of course restrict people who have had TOO MUCH alcohol from driving. But you cannot, or should not be allowed, to equate having a pint (or two) after work before driving home with staying all night in the pub playing Tequila Boat Races before staggering to the car and driving in the vague direction of anywhere.

And as for your "We all think we are nigel mansell" Speak for yourself, sir.

(I can't imagine ANY woman ever wanting to be Nigel Mansell)

Nobody is equating having one or two pints with getting blathered. what they are saying is that you should not drive if you are in any way impaired. Now you might not think you are impaired, you might think you are fine but the fact is that you are not fine if you have been drinking enough to be over the limit. Alcohol increases self-confidence but reduces ability. That is what my "we all think we are nigel mansell" referred to. But i'm sure you knew that and just felt like a cheap jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

i was surprised to scroll down and see that professional, learner and novice drivers are 20mg per 100ml blood that was surprising to me I didnt know it was different for them.

It's stricter here in Germany. Although I have my full German drivers license, for the first two years I am under the probation period (Probezeit) and am not allowed a single drop of alcohol.. For the better I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bear1 wrote: »
    But you see you can't compare this in a like for like scenario.
    You are comparing Ireland to a state within a country.
    If Ireland was like the US then you could make the comparison but IMO it is not a valid one.

Which of the penalties I mentioned would be unworkable in Ireland? A 200 euro fine and 3 penalty points is taking the piss.
    can you ever see a time/day when they would lower it to zero? - in other words if your driving no drink is permitted?

There is a mechanism for reducing the limit to zero for people who have been caught drunk driving. It is called an interlock and prevents you starting the engine if there is alcohol in your system.

1st offence fit an interlock for one year to any car the offender is insured to drive.
    2nd offence - 2 years
    3rd - offence - lifetime.

Advertisement