Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drink Drive Law in Scotland

Options
  • 05-12-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭

so a new Drink drive law came into force today in Scotland of 50mg per 100ml of Blood and couldnt remember what it is for Ireland so I went on RSA Ireland site to see it is 50mg per 100ml of blood here too, then i was surprised to scroll down and see that professional, learner and novice drivers are 20mg per 100ml blood that was surprising to me I didnt know it was different for them. So the UK still remains 80mg per 100ml, surely they cannot be far off coming into line now. -

So they reckon 50mg per 100ml is just a pint of beer, any more and you can be over the limit. is it safe to say now these days that the best way to make absolutely sure your not over the limit is that if you going to drive then not have any alcoholic drink at all or is that too draconian?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

is it safe to say now these days that the best way to make absolutely sure your not over the limit is that if you going to drive then not have any alcoholic drink at all or is that too draconian?

Or if you do drink-drive, do it absolutely langered, at least then you won't lose your license over half a bottle of poxy "light" beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I make it very simple to keep under the limit.

If I'm out to the restaurant / pub (whatever) , and have the car with me, I just don't drink.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

so a new Drink drive law came into force today in Scotland of 50mg per 100ml of Blood and couldnt remember what it is for Ireland so I went on RSA Ireland site to see it is 50mg per 100ml of blood here too, then i was surprised to scroll down and see that professional, learner and novice drivers are 20mg per 100ml blood that was surprising to me I didnt know it was different for them. So the UK still remains 80mg per 100ml, surely they cannot be far off coming into line now. -

So they reckon 50mg per 100ml is just a pint of beer, any more and you can be over the limit. is it safe to say now these days that the best way to make absolutely sure your not over the limit is that if you going to drive then not have any alcoholic drink at all or is that too draconian?

Yes indeed. If you're only learning you can only be mildly drunk behind the wheel, but if you're a more seasoned driver you can be a little more tipsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I just don't drink at all if I have the car with me, and I love a nice few pints when I have the chance. I just don't see it as worth the risk, I'm aware many people can easily absorb one pint and be fine, but there are plenty who cannot.

Can't see it even being zero tolerance which is fine because morning after people may still have small traces in system etc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Enforcement and punishment levels can be as important as the actually limit. Ireland would be middling on both accounts.

Punishments in the USA can be very low - 30 day driving ban, whereas in The Netherlands or Finland, the punishment can be steep - long bans and very steep fines respectively.
    So they reckon 50mg per 100ml is just a pint of beer,
    This will vary by a lot of factors, including body mass, metabolism, what you've recently eaten or drank and other factors. As a rule, if you are going driving, don't drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

At the risk of getting shot - there should be allowance for a bit extra when only driving a few miles over rural roads at night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

gk5000 wrote: »
    At the risk of getting shot knocked down - there should be allowance for a bit extra when only driving a few miles over rural roads at night

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

At the risk of getting shot - there should be allowance for a bit extra when only driving a few miles over rural roads at night

Like a permit is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes, and in memory of the day that's in it, this upper limit should only apply if you are driving a tractor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

No, there shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

http://catcoy.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/willie-odea-gun-l.jpg

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yes, and in memory of the day that's in it, this upper limit should only apply if you are driving a tractor :rolleyes:

Only if its a 4wd >90hp, 65hp if its got a turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I don't mind not drinking if people are depending on me to drive and get them home safely. I'd never have "just the one" it's not worth the risk.

Sure, If they're lucky they'll weave in sync with the bends! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

Seriously - the problem is not people with > 50 and < 100 mg, but people with > 300mg, so they should up the limit at least back to 100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

*sniff sniff*

It's what Jackie would have wanted

*wipes tears away*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Everyone should be aloud 3pints and drive. These stupid laws have killed the rural pubs in this country and its a crying shame!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Seriously - the problem is not people with > 50 and < 100 mg, but people with > 300mg, so they should up the limit at least back to 100

Why is alcohol necessary at all in that situation.

Could just not drink and have a cup of tea

Why is alcohol necessary at all in that situation.

Could just not drink and have a cup of tea
    What would Father Jack say to a nice cup of tea?

Feck off cup!

Wouldn't you look well in the nightclub with a cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I work in a bar in belgium. A lot of our customers drive home very drunk.

If they get caught you get banned for two weeks. If you can prove you need to drive to work you can select the days you're banned for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

50, 80 or 100 doesn't matter a damp if there's no enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Schwiiing wrote: »
    No, there shouldn't.

You're damn right there shouldn't. It should be the same for everyone everywhere. You should be able to have two pints and drive home legally.

Don't worry, when I organise by benign dictatorship that will the be first executive decree.

Mind you, if you get caught drinking over that limit, you're off the road for a year. At least.

You're damn right there shouldn't. It should be the same for everyone everywhere. You should be able to have two pints and drive home legally.

Problem is that you can't set a limit on the volume consumed! it's the volume consumed relative to body mass and hydration (+ contents of stomach) at the time of consumption that matters.

For example an anorexic would be plastered after two pints or one and a bit litres, while the rugby (or just built like one) prop forward would go about six pints before reaching the old 80 limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Define a bit extra. Or a few miles, for that matter. And of course nobody ever walks on rural roads at night, so it's not like there'd be anyone to run over.

Straylight wrote: »
    Define a bit extra. Or a few miles, for that matter. And of course nobody ever walks on rural roads at night, so it's not like there'd be anyone to run over.
    Driving home after a late night job, there’s nothing worse than meeting a ninja in a black coat after a sharp left curve!
    Had it happen more times than I care to think about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

All I see is, get sick on yer car door and you'll be OK

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Driving home after a late night job, there’s nothing worse than meeting a ninja in a black coat after a sharp left curve!
    Had it happen more times than I care to think about. :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me how little regard some people have for their personal safety when they're walking on dark roads. It's a miracle there aren't more pedestrians killed each year because of them not being visible to traffic. Add the possibility that drivers could legally have a couple of drinks on board and the numbers would definitely go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Personally I don't think you should have had a single drink and then take to the wheel. That's from a massive reformed substance abuser, far too dangerous for everyone concerned - including ones self!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I don't drink and drive but its the morning after that worries me. If i'm after say 7 pints and stop drinking at 12 when am I ok to drive ? If the pint is equal to two units and it takes an hour to clear one unit then it seems I'm not good to go till 2pm the next day.

However I've been told that you calculate the time from when you started drinking as you start processing alcohol the minute you start drinking so if I started drinking at 7pm, had 7 pints, finished at 12 midnight I'd be good to drive at 9am.

Advised this from a medical professional i.e. calculate from the time you started not from the time you finished.

Advertisement