Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing boardsies smash bros (wii u thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'm just startin up smash if anyone is interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Woo hoo! Smash arrived today along with my Link and Yoshi amiibos. Where should I start? Muck around? Amiibo training? One of the other modes? Get creamed online?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Banjo wrote: »
    Woo hoo! Smash arrived today along with my Link and Yoshi amiibos. Where should I start? Muck around? Amiibo training? One of the other modes? Get creamed online?

Play match
    Scratch head
    Repeat over and over until
    Play match
    Smile, fist pump, abuse defeated enemies
    Repeat over and over

It really is best fun in local multiplayer, if I'm 100% honest.

Played match
    Wondered why none of the buttons do what I expect
    Test all possible layouts. No matter where I put them, I 'special' when I want to jump.
    Reset to default. Works better
    Play a couple of goes of the strategic board game. Unlock Falco.
    Watch video of dude performing precision surgery on key point of base of Amiibo box to take the foil barrier out.
    Perform barbarous slice across entire box and gouge out a few silvery scrapes.
    Link amiibo recognised. Feel like Raffles the master thief.
    Fight amiibo. Beat amiibo. I am Conan reborn.
    Amiibo levels up. Lvl 4 amiibo smashes me out for a win. Smartarse.
    Grumble about lucky item drops and go to bed, dumping cocky Link back in his amazon box beside the wine discounts and packing paper. Know your place!

Its been a good night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Man villager is so OP. I hope he gets nerfed a bit.

Anyone got any characters they've mastered in the art of smashing?
    I'd like to say I can play Pac-man, Villager and Ness off to a tee. I seem to win most of my games picking any of those too :)

• Advertisement

Man villager is so OP. I hope he gets nerfed a bit.

Anyone got any characters they've mastered in the art of smashing?
    I'd like to say I can play Pac-man, Villager and Ness off to a tee. I seem to win most of my games picking any of those too :)
    I'm finally starting to get the hang of a few characters. I watched a few YouTube vids and actually learned how to play, it's amazing how detailed and deep the game is. Anyway Mario is my guy at the moment.
    It's a strange game it needs a proper tutorial mode or something theirs a big learning curve for anyone like me who never played before and I nearly dismissed it totally after a day playing but decided to stick with it a while and now I love it.

Also I played a few matched this morning with my mii without setting him up at all and he was an animal to go!

I set my Mii up as a brawler, he's grand but my Amiibo Link at a mere Level 14 is scoring a lot of solid 1-0 victories against me. I made you, Amiibo Link, and I can break you too! OR put some tinfoil on your feet so you're effectively dead, at any rate. I take it there're a lot more moves to unlock for the Miis?

The Trivial Pursuit board game with additional fisticuffs is a bit odd. Very difficult if you don't know every possible character and their moves. Scored some early knockouts in the last round before getting smashed out. Somehow I still managed to draw for first place in the final battle but because I'd been out of the fight for so long I wasn't watching the screen when the sudden death mode started... BOOM!

What's the story with online Conquest mode? I Couldn't seem to join the worldwide or european competitions?

Fave character so far is Robin from Fire Emblem Awakenings. Just seemed to click.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

iamtony wrote: »
    I'm finally starting to get the hang of a few characters. I watched a few YouTube vids and actually learned how to play, it's amazing how detailed and deep the game is. Anyway Mario is my guy at the moment.
    It's a strange game it needs a proper tutorial mode or something theirs a big learning curve for anyone like me who never played before and I nearly dismissed it totally after a day playing but decided to stick with it a while and now I love it.

I think tutorial would be too complex as every character has their own unique moves. I couldn't even imagine a tutorial in the game.

I think its great that it doesn't have it though, its a throwback to yesteryear when you weren't nursed into the game. You're thrown into the deepend and you have to learn to swim yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

We should have a 4 player boardsie free for all some night soon, sounds like i need to practice some more tho.

• Advertisement

Is an 8 player online game possible btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

What control method are people using for this? I'm finding the Wii U Gamepad controls fairly unintuitive.

Would love to get a hold of the Gamecube adapter but not willing to fork out the ridiculous amounts people are selling for.

What control method are people using for this? I'm finding the Wii U Gamepad controls fairly unintuitive.

Would love to get a hold of the Gamecube adapter but not willing to fork out the ridiculous amounts people are selling for.

Wii u pro controller is what i use, i dont really use the gamepad any more at all other then playing e shop games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Wii u pro controller is what i use, i dont really use the gamepad any more at all other then playing e shop games

I really must pick one of these up at some point. I think the fact that I missed out on the cheap ones in PC World is putting me off paying full price for one!

Is an 8 player online game possible btw?

No only local afaik.

I really must pick one of these up at some point. I think the fact that I missed out on the cheap ones in PC World is putting me off paying full price for one!

Therea a link to a Japanese gamesite that sells and dispatches pro controllers for less then 30 euro, i think its called nippon-yasson if i find it again ill post it, or some kind boardsie will do it instead

We should have a 4 player boardsie free for all some night soon, sounds like i need to practice some more tho.

I'll join if I can! I'll be on for about an hour tonight from 9-10ish if your around.

I'll join if I can! I'll be on for about an hour tonight from 9-10ish if your around.

Just on now, ill have a few games with ya before i head back to paper mario

Cool I'm not staying up long anyway I just started a room.

heres the link courtesy of allyall

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/nintendo-wii-u-conosle-japan/7230-wii-u-pro-controller-black.html Black

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/nintendo-wii-u-conosle-japan/7229-wii-u-pro-controller-white.html white

the black doesnt seem to be in stock at the moment tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Raven_SK

the kids have this game can't say i am a fan

Have to go pal the missus is in from work and given me grief for now talking to her;-) good games as always!

Have to go pal the missus is in from work and given me grief for now talking to her;-) good games as always!

no worries mate good game

Raven_SK wrote: »
    the kids have this game can't say i am a fan

Takes a while to get into it but worth the effort!

Smash anyone?

Serious smash game going on feel free to join I'm at iamtonyf if you want to be friends:-)

I'm on if anyone else is let me know! I'm getting hammered!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Smash Wii U tournament on 28th February in the Woolshed Baa & Grill, Parnell Street, Dublin.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057371136

Deadly! If only I was good at it:-(

• Advertisement

Deadly! If only I was good at it:-(

You don't need to be good at it. Train your amiibo up and let them win it for you ;-)

Advertisement