Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feelings about dogs sleeping outside for winter?

Options
  • 05-12-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I believe little dogs should be kept inside during the harsh winter months, but what so people think about bigger dogs?

Ive a lab who recently turned 10, and while he's always slept outside in a kennel (with warm bedding and 2 duvets may I add!), I recently wondered if this was wrong and if its too cold for him during the winter months? Or maybe it was ok when he was younger, but the cold will affect him more now he's old?

edit: I just want to clarify, the dog sits in his basket in the conservatory all day every day and can freely go into the garden from there. And we often bring him in to the living room/kitchen to sit with us ect. At night time he seems to want to go out to bed himself, sometimes choosing to get up from the living room and go to bed in his kennel. Im purely wondering if at 10 its too cold out there during winter or if he can feel the cold? Id hate for him to be freezing at night when he sleeps. But if its ok for him, I don't want to disturb the routine and the way things are now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Bring them in. I don't think its fair on them.

If you don't want them near your furniture, pop them in the kitchen over night.

Although, your lab is 10. He is probably used to sleeping outside and might prefer it. Give it a trial run and see how he gets on.

Its not being nasty to you, so please don't take me up wrong, but I never understand people who get a pet and leave it in the garden 24/7.

Ours are in 24/7, and love nothing but company.

Like I said, give it a trial run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BMmeow

we bring him in during the day and while we're here, it just when it comes to bed time we put him out into his kennel. He seems to like going out to sleep there tho, Im just wondering really if the weather is too hard on him, Id hate to be cruel if it was too cold, its not like he can tell me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My inlaws German Shepherd sleeps outside all year round. Hits +40 & - 20.
    On really cold nights it gets to use the barn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I think its too cold for them in winter. But I suppose that is just my own opinion. I have had all types of dogs over the years from sheepdog down to shihtzu and they were indoor dogs.

I know some people have the opinion that a dog does not belong in the house.

Give it a go! He will love it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've never in my life had a dog that slept outside. I wouldn't like it, especially with all the thefts these days. And I'd be worried, especially when they are older, that something would take their life and they would be dead outside all night and I wouldn't know until the next morning. When Shadow hit 10 we used to wake up in the middle of the night to check on him! I'd be terrified of Opie getting stolen or managing to dig under the fence if he was left outside :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

Right now our two are sleeping in front of the fire. In this weather, they are reluctant to go outside to do their business, let alone sleep outside.
    As I'm typing, I can hear one of the three little dogs next door barking, they are dumped in the backyard 24/7, never have company, with just a filthy old shed to sleep in. It breaks my heart and I have given up hope of the spca doing anything to help these poor babies. The same old answer again and again "As long as they have shelter, there's nothing we can do" I hate the laws in this country.

OP, I have noticed that our ten year old girl seems to feel the cold this year more than ever, so I do think it would be good to bring your older boy inside at night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm always interested in the idea that small dogs need to be in, but big dogs don't.
    Now, I understand there are some dogs, big and small, that prefer and choose to be outside more than in. But these are in the minority.
    But why would or should a big dog be kept outside any more than a small one? Their needs are pretty much the same, regardless of size!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

DBB wrote: »
    I'm always interested in the idea that small dogs need to be in, but big dogs don't.
    Now, I understand there are some dogs, big and small, that prefer and choose to be outside more than in. But these are in the minority.
    But why would or should a big dog be kept outside any more than a small one? Their needs are pretty much the same, regardless of size!

I suppose in some people's minds it's to do with body mass and heat retention. One large dog will lose less heat in a cold environment over a given period than one small dog. I'd hate to make any size of dog sleep outside and alone, especially during adverse weather. If there's a whole puddle of dogs who nest happily together that's a little different, but that's unusual in a domestic pet environment. For a singleton or a couple of pets, the dog's physical and emotional needs would for me dictate that it sleep indoors.

When it hogs the pillow it can be a bit much, but still better than a hot water bottle.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I suppose in some people's minds it's to do with body mass and heat retention. One large dog will lose less heat in a cold environment over a given period than one small dog.

Is this really what most poeple would think?!
    I'd have thought most people who keep big dogs outside wouldn't put that amount of thought into it :o
    I think it's purely a convenience thing, that big dogs simply "don't belong" inside in the psyche of may Irish people, because they're working dogs.
    Or am I not giving poeple the credit they deserve?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

My guess it depends on what the dog is used to. As long as they've got somewhere cosy to curl up like a kennel with good bedding they should be ok outdoors. We've only had our little lady for a couple of weeks and she sleeps indoors in her crate - she took to it pretty quickly.

We have the kennel she used to share with her sister in the garden for her but she barely uses it and I'm actually trying to train her to use it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wouldn't have the heart to leave my dog outside, he is my family. He sleeps in the bed with me and I get great satisfaction and comfort from hearing his not so little snores!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If it was me I'd bring him inside at night. The cold definitely does affect older animals more than it would younger animals. If he is outside you might consider something like this http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/thermal_pads/129427 I got one recently for my fella who sleeps inside at night but is outside when we're at work. 7 minutes in the microwave and it's hot for at least 10 hours, I'v even felt it after 12 hours and it's still warm.

I suppose in some people's minds it's to do with body mass and heat retention. One large dog will lose less heat in a cold environment over a given period than one small dog. I'd hate to make any size of dog sleep outside and alone, especially during adverse weather. If there's a whole puddle of dogs who nest happily together that's a little different, but that's unusual in a domestic pet environment. For a singleton or a couple of pets, the dog's physical and emotional needs would for me dictate that it sleep indoors.

When it hogs the pillow it can be a bit much, but still better than a hot water bottle.
    Is this really what most poeple would think?!
    I'd have thought most people who keep big dogs outside wouldn't put that amount of thought into it :o
    I think it's purely a convenience thing, that big dogs simply "don't belong" inside in the psyche of may Irish people, because they're working dogs.
    Or am I not giving poeple the credit they deserve?:o

I didn't say most... :cool:

There are human individuals who just don't care. Perhaps I'm anthropomorphizing the hoomans as well as the critturs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Couldn't imagine leaving my dogs outside for more than an hour (and they are a double coated long haired breed), knowing them they need their people and can only relax when they are in the home. I've had a relative say to me I should leave them outside and make the shed their house because they are "hairy and dirty" could say the same for half the humans that come into my home lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I didn't say most... :cool:

There are human individuals who just don't care. Perhaps I'm anthropomorphizing the hoomans as well as the critturs.

Sorry, I meant to clarify it, but I only did so in the second line of that post, that "most" referred to "most people who are happy to have their dogs live outside":o... I do agree with you that there is a mindset that big dogs can keep themselves warm better than smallies and that means they should be outside. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

This is my personal opinion, my dogs have always been indoor dogs: If hes 10 OP, he is going to have to "work" harder to stay warm. His old joints/bones are going to have to "work" harder to loosen up in the morning after a cold night. Why not bring him indoors and let him choose if he wants to sleep inside (bring his duvet indoors from the kennel, or he will be confused maybe about where his bed is supposed to be, until he gets used to it) He will be more comfortable and warmer indoors at his advanced age. (Although if he has slept outdoors at night all his life, it may be too late to break the habit, but I would definately try it and see how he goes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Dachshunds X's, Pomeranian s, Terriers, JR's, GSD, Alsations, Lab's, Retrievers and the inevitable Collie/Sheepdogs X's. In the Townland I live are about 30 properties, 10 of them smallholdings, most have dogs of one sort or another and I think I am the only one who has their dogs in at night. None of these are used as working dogs.

I despair at the attitudes sometimes. Over the past 4 years I have been told the various reasons the dogs are left out/locked out at night are because they are guarding, they are smelly and flea ridden, they are mad, they are brutal to people, they would hate it inside, it's where they are meant to be.....

I hate that there is an isolated cow shed near the mountain where there is a Collie X chained up inside to apparently guard the sheds... from what, the farmer couldn't tell me. It barks up until the small hours.... I hate that there is a 'retired' sheepdog which has to be muzzled because it attacks the tyres of any vehicles that pass... it lives in a turf shed at night, I hate that there is a decrepit old garage where there is a couple of small JR's kept permanently... they are used for keeping the rats away apparently......

I could go on but my blood is boiling.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It all depends on the dog type, and the type of coat they have.

I have a collie who has a thick double coat of hair, she is let inside the house as much as she wants during the day but at night she goes outside, you actually could not keep her inside she is always patrolling the garden at various times in the night checking out any sound. If you try to keep her in she will whine to be let out to investigate any sound at all.

She has a large dry wooden kennel outside in a sheltered position, every night she will look to go outside around 10pm.

If she wanted to stay in the house at night i would leave her but it ends up in her whining to go out. She behaves pretty well outside, she only barks if there are unusual noises at night, which i do not mind this time of year when houses are being robbed in surrounding areas.

Every situation is different and each dog will have their own preference, i think you do need to be very careful when dealing with very short haired breeds such as greyhounds etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I wouldnt have my dog in overnight. I'll consider it when the temps really start to plummet but until then its the kennel for him.

I wouldnt have my dog in overnight. I'll consider it when the temps really start to plummet but until then its the kennel for him.

Big dog, small dog? Any particular reason or just habit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

TopTec wrote: »
    Dachshunds X's, Pomeranian s, Terriers, JR's, GSD, Alsations, Lab's, Retrievers and the inevitable Collie/Sheepdogs X's. In the Townland I live are about 30 properties, 10 of them smallholdings, most have dogs of one sort or another and I think I am the only one who has their dogs in at night. None of these are used as working dogs.

I despair at the attitudes sometimes. Over the past 4 years I have been told the various reasons the dogs are left out/locked out at night are because they are guarding, they are smelly and flea ridden, they are mad, they are brutal to people, they would hate it inside, it's where they are meant to be.....

I hate that there is an isolated cow shed near the mountain where there is a Collie X chained up inside to apparently guard the sheds... from what, the farmer couldn't tell me. It barks up until the small hours.... I hate that there is a 'retired' sheepdog which has to be muzzled because it attacks the tyres of any vehicles that pass... it lives in a turf shed at night, I hate that there is a decrepit old garage where there is a couple of small JR's kept permanently... they are used for keeping the rats away apparently......

I could go on but my blood is boiling.

TT

Oh, I hear you. I would say we could be neighbours but the truth is, this is going on in the whole of rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Couldn't leave our fella outside overnight, he's a great big pyrenean cross but he's a part of the family and has always slept inside. Nothing he loves more than greeting us at the bottom of the stairs first thing in the morning. I'm sure there are many dogs who do prefer to sleep outside, but I hate the idea of purely outdoor dogs, spending their life in a dog run or garden all day every day and never let in to the comfort of a nice warm fire.

We are currently homing a samoyed who spent her whole life outside and she loves nothing more than cuddling up on the couch for a snuggle! It's hard to think about the loneliness she must have felt in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads, I'm married to a rural type :pac:

There is no way she will have a dog in the house, her dad, a farmer, has a few dogs who live in a barn with loads of old blankets etc.. not chained up though and do as they please when not working.

Given this what breed of dog is more suited to living outside. Obviously he'd have a big kennel and blankets. He'd have to be good with kids and other dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Leave a dog outside alone for any length of time in London where I'm from and two things will happen. Either someone will call the RSPCA on you, or the dog will be nicked by junkies...

I would never leave my dog outside. I think it's cruel. He hates the cold and wet anyway, and likes nothing better than to snooze on his cushions on the sofa in the living room with his people right where he can see them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

I could never leave a dog outside at night. I have a staffie who sleeps with me. Her bed is beside my bed. I rescued her from Dogs Trust and when you adopt a dog from there they inspect your house and garden and they say that your dog should sleep inside and preferably in the same room with someone as dogs are pack animals and need company to feel happy and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sorry, I meant to clarify it, but I only did so in the second line of that post, that "most" referred to "most people who are happy to have their dogs live outside":o... I do agree with you that there is a mindset that big dogs can keep themselves warm better than smallies and that means they should be outside. Apparently.

Interesting as I always thought this meant breeds that have thicker coats which tend to be bigger dogs. Most farm collies are chained outdoors which I hate to see. Mine are indoors at night. But collie feels the cold less than the JRT Bassett cross who seeks in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Their needs are pretty much the same, regardless of size!

The mechanics of how we maintain/lose heat (thermoregulation) mean that the smaller the animal the easier and faster it loses heat. If i recall correctly, this happens to the square of the size difference - e.g. a dog the third the size of a lab loses heat nine times as fast. You might reconsider now and see that size does matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Jezek wrote: »
    The mechanics of how we maintain/lose heat (thermoregulation) mean that the smaller the animal the easier and faster it loses heat. If i recall correctly, this happens to the square of the size difference - e.g. a dog the third the size of a lab loses heat nine times as fast. You might reconsider now and see that size does matter.

Sorry, but a greyhound, which is a big dog, would lose heat quicker than a pomeranian due to the difference in coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

muddypaws wrote: »
    Sorry, but a greyhound, which is a big dog, would lose heat quicker than a pomeranian due to the difference in coat.

I meant all other things being equal, of course. However, I can't know how the coat compensates for size etc etc, and I don't see how you do know.

• Advertisement

Aeternum wrote: »
    We are currently homing a samoyed who spent her whole life outside and she loves nothing more than cuddling up on the couch for a snuggle! It's hard to think about the loneliness she must have felt in the past.

All three of my dogs were outdoors dogs when I got them, and my last GSD was an outdoor-only dog until I got her aged 7. All of them adored being brought inside, they thrived on it in a big way! Like yourself, it makes me sad to think of them being forced to live outside when they're so utterly happy and content being in.
    Again, I know and appreciate there are some individuals who prefer to be outside, but I don't think it's something that should be forced on a dog.
    tinner777 wrote: »
    lads, I'm married to a rural type :pac:

There is no way she will have a dog in the house, her dad, a farmer, has a few dogs who live in a barn with loads of old blankets etc.. not chained up though and do as they please when not working.

My OH is a farmer, and never had dogs inside the house, ever. He does give out about them, but he also acknowledges that it's kinder to have them inside. I work with a huge amount of problem dogs, and ther eis no doubt that dogs that live alone outside are harder to train than those who live inside, simply because the same bond isn't there, the same level of mutual knowing-each-other-to-the-core, if you know what I mean.
    That said, I'm not so hung up on working dogs, and by that I mean dogs who genuinely work for much of the day all year round, hanging out with each other and the farmer, and then have each other to curl up with in a deep straw and blanketty bed, so in all likelihood your father-in-law's dogs don't have it too shabby.
    It's the chained up dogs, and the dogs who live alone in back gardens for hour after hour, whose owners I have a major beef with.
    I'm not going to recommend a dog that's more suited to living outside though, because to be uttely honest, I personally wouldn't be prepared to deliberately put it on any dog :o

Advertisement