Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mystery (to me) that is Dublin 5

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The Spider wrote: »
    I remember years ago having to do some work out in Kilbarrack, and not being from Dublin I thought it was rough as hell, this would've been around 1995, thought I'd google map it on streetview:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3875237,-6.1602428,3a,75y,226.4h,78.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shO35mEB4hrHVKckNIlh91Q!2e0

All I say is, if it was me I'd be looking somewhere else, area like that and for the money, no thanks.

I have to laugh! That's one of the first photos I saw of the place as well! We've had some laughs at that guy and I hope the people in the area know who he is and he's immortalized himself to the point where it gets mentioned in the local pub.

That said that's the reaction the google car would have got on Bridgefoot Street and in 12 years I think we've had 2 issues. I'd be okay with that hit rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

That's funny all right, as was the conversation you had. Fairly typical of the youth around there I'd say :) My daughter works in one of the schools just off that road and we drive through there every morning. Never seen any hint of problems, but you'd need to check it out on a Friday or Saturday night as well. It's good to see some new blood coming into areas like this in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is nowhere in Dublin 5 I would not feel safe living, despite kids acting up one day for a Google camera. I think I could cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

grew up in kilbarrack.it was a tad rough in the 80s.most of the boys have griwn up now and either moved on or settled down there.its grand now.local pub the fox hound is basic enough but staff are fine and very rarely any trouble.area is great for dart,mainline station 10mins away at howth junction. plenty of busses to choose from for town.one side of briarfield road backs onto the train tracks.not sure if that would cause an issue with noise.it wouldn't bother me as I'd get used to that fast and wouldn't here them any more.not sure about trains runnind freight etc late night or early morning.swing by the area late on weeks. local shop is fine and good staff.lets know how you get on

plodder wrote: »
    That's funny all right, as was the conversation you had. Fairly typical of the youth around there I'd say :) My daughter works in one of the schools just off that road and we drive through there every morning. Never seen any hint of problems, but you'd need to check it out on a Friday or Saturday night as well. It's good to see some new blood coming into areas like this in my opinion.

Heading up there on Saturday night to hang round the DART station from about 11:30, I'm a rebel with a cause :pac: Funny you should mention the new blood aspect, apparently there are small but ever increasing number of FTBs hitting the area.
    spurious wrote: »
    There is nowhere in Dublin 5 I would not feel safe living, despite kids acting up one day for a Google camera. I think I could cope.

I have to be honest if I saw the thing going past me I'd be tempted to strike a funny pose - I'm mid-thirties going on 11! Do either you or Plodder (or indeed anyone else) have any input on the Schools in the area?
    mick121 wrote: »
    grew up in kilbarrack.it was a tad rough in the 80s.most of the boys have griwn up now and either moved on or settled down there.its grand now.local pub the fox hound is basic enough but staff are fine and very rarely any trouble.area is great for dart,mainline station 10mins away at howth junction. plenty of busses to choose from for town.one side of briarfield road backs onto the train tracks.not sure if that would cause an issue with noise.it wouldn't bother me as I'd get used to that fast and wouldn't here them any more.not sure about trains runnind freight etc late night or early morning.swing by the area late on weeks. local shop is fine and good staff.lets know how you get on

I didn't think of freight! Good call I'll check that out but like yourself I don't think it would bother me. It seemed very quiet when I was up there the other day anyway but even if there was a train going by and the wind was in the right direction I'd say it be grand.

Many thanks to you above and everyone else that has given feedback.

Sorry if I've said this but I've now had 5 identical conversations about the area with people who lived in the area. All but one started off with 'It's not the nicest area' then went on to say the people are lovely, the area is quiet, never had any issue bar some minor messing by kids. The only difference was from someone who lived on the road and said she was very jellous and would move back tomorrow.

Oddly the more I've looked into this the more I realise I've been to the area before (doh!) having worked in Donaghmede for over a year. People always seemed grand over there!

Anyways! Offer is in we shall see!

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Your friend from coolock is talking rubbish.

I'm not from Coolock, but have lived there for 12 years or so. I've had zero trouble there, and neither has anyone I know. I had a hell of a lot more trouble living in a 'nice,' expensive part of Balbriggan before Coolock.

Your friend from coolock is talking rubbish.

I'm not from Coolock, but have lived there for 12 years or so. I've had zero trouble there, and neither has anyone I know. I had a hell of a lot more trouble living in a 'nice,' expensive part of Balbriggan before Coolock.

Sorry I should stress again that she said it tongue in cheek and that she likes to tell a good yarn - much like myself - hence why I described her as I did meant in the nicest possible way.

I'm actually really glad two people have posted defending the area, to my mind it shows people care about the area, that's 90% of the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

... Do either you or Plodder (or indeed anyone else) have any input on the Schools in the area?

I went to both primary and secondary school in kilbarrack a lifetime ago so my info probably out of date. The secondary school in kilbarrack was great but it closed down some years ago because of a lack of numbers. The nearest secondary now would be the De La Salle which always seemed ok. The primary schools used to be separate boys and girls but they combined into one a few years ago, again because of lack of numbers. My sisters kids went to the combined primary school and she doesnt have a bad word to say about it. There is also either an educate together or a gaelscoil in the old girls primary school, not sure which.

I couldnt imagine you having a problem with the people tbh. I could probably still walk down briarfield and recognise a rake of people as a lot of the people who grew up there ended up buying their own house there.. as you said just normal working class people with normal working class problems.

I forgot to mention where else could you buy a house and walk in the footsteps of movie greats like Colm Meany?

Beano wrote: »
    I forgot to mention where else could you buy a house and walk in the footsteps of movie greats like Colm Meany?

Fecking love Star Trek :pac:

Thanks Beano some great feedback!

• Advertisement

Guys/Gals although I don't want to start a slanging match constructive negative feedback and real-life experiences are also most welcome.

Please don't flame people if they've a genuine concern/experience which is negative. I'd like to get as much info as possible.

Fecking love Star Trek :pac:

Thanks Beano some great feedback!

just to know that you may be looked at funny if you walk around in a star fleet uniform. just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

From Dublin 5 and now bought and living in it too (Different areas).

I'd wager it's a mystery to you because it ranges from 800k houses on the Howth Rd to 150k houses in Harmonstown and everything in between.

Grew up closer to the Kilbarrack end. Just to point out, that Google maps photo with the lads is Roddy Doyle's Barrytown basically, if that helps you make an assessment at all! :) The Van and Snapper etc were filmed on those streets and nearby. I would've gotten the DART from Kilbarrack loads when I was younger and some days there is a bit of messing from lads like that, other days not. Nothing massively sinister. And as someone pointed out, you have even more middle class areas as you move a bit closer to the coast.

I now live in Artane, Harmonstown/Killester end, and it couldn't be quieter. Great value, and great links to town.

On the whole, even the "worse" bits if you like are still decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

i lived in Ardmore for over a year and only moved out this summer due to college being so far from there but I loved it there, Artane Castle was just a 5 minute walk away and plenty of bus routes nearby.

The general Artane area is nice IMO I've never had a problem there, like everywhere else there will always be some parts that you wouldn't want to go near but kilmore flats are probably the only dodgy looking part but even so i walked by it a lot but again never had a problem.

hope this helps OP.

Advertisement