Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mystery (to me) that is Dublin 5

Options
  • 05-12-2014 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

I've liven in Dublin for 13 years, in that time I've been around it a bit but D5 is a total mystery to me. I'm looking at some houses in the area and although it seem a bit far out (to be anything that isn't walking distance to Stephen's Green is in the country) it looks pretty nice in parts, being by the sea and all that.

What I heard tell of;

Raheny - The nice bit
    Kilbarrack - Might as well be on Saturn for all I know about it
    Coolock (am I right in thinking this is D5 and D17? :confused:) - I know a lovely girl that lives here but she's a bit of a gobsh!te (we obviously get on famously) and the way she talks it's fine if your from the area otherwise expect to be killed/robed/killed again within 15 minutes of arriving.

NOTE: I have no actually idea what the areas are like and I don't want to start a slagging match. Humour is much appreciated but objective views on the areas above (and others in D5) only please.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone who has been helping me get a grip on various thing recently, it is very, very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I've liven in Dublin for 13 years, in that time I've been around it a bit but D5 is a total mystery to me. I'm looking at some houses in the area and although it seem a bit far out (to be anything that isn't walking distance to Stephen's Green is in the country) it looks pretty nice in parts, being by the sea and all that.

What I heard tell of;

Raheny - The nice bit
    Kilbarrack - Might as well be on Saturn for all I know about it
    Coolock (am I right in thinking this is D5 and D17? :confused:) - I know a lovely girl that lives here but she's a bit of a gobsh!te (we obviously get on famously) and the way she talks it's fine if your from the area otherwise expect to be killed/robed/killed again within 15 minutes of arriving.

NOTE: I have no actually idea what the areas are like and I don't want to start a slagging match. Humour is much appreciated but objective views on the areas above (and others in D5) only please.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone who has been helping me get a grip on various thing recently, it is very, very much appreciated.

Parts of Raheny are very nice and St Anne's park is lovely. There are some fab looking houses in Raheny, and the there are some kips. But I think the nice ones outweigh the bad. My vet is there (in case you were interested)

The other two are not my cup of tea. Though the Costa in the cinema in Coolock is the closest one to Clontarf without going into the city, so I would sometimes take a spin around if I fancied a vanilla latte with a Sicilian lemon muffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

Grew up in Raheny, there are a few areas that can look a little run down but for the most part they are nice estates. Good schools, close to St Anne's, the beach. Live in artane now, also dublin 5 and same thing. Where I am is great, I'm close enough to harmonstown which can look a little bleak but have everything I need around me, 20 mins from town and never feel unsafe or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Killester also seems nice and is a little closer to town than Raheny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Does anyone have any thoughts on Kilbarrack?

Thanks for the input so far folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Don't forget Dublin 5 also covers all of Artane. You've got the estates that are right beside Dublin 9 - Whitethorn, Thorndale, Ardmore, Montrose, Pinebrook - and bits of Kilmore. All of those are absolutely fine. That's what I tend to think of as Dublin 5 - not by the sea though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Bought in Dublin 5 - brookwood area Artane a year ago and love it.
    5 min walk to st annes park, killester village. 15 min walk to the coast, Harry's in clontarf is a decent pub. Loads of transport options into town in under 20 mins.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Don't forget Dublin 5 also covers all of Artane. You've got the estates that are right beside Dublin 9 - Whitethorn, Thorndale, Ardmore, Montrose, Pinebrook - and bits of Kilmore. All of those are absolutely fine. That's what I tend to think of as Dublin 5 - not by the sea though!

Artane stretches to howth road so quite close to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

jon1981 wrote: »
    Artane stretches to howth road so quite close to the sea.

You're right, I just don't know that part of Artane that well - I grew up on the other side of the Malahide Road!

Sorry to cut in again and the replies are very much appreciated - but Kilbarrack? Specifically near the Dart station. Okay area?

Sacksian wrote: »
    You're right, I just don't know that part of Artane that well - I grew up on the other side of the Malahide Road!

Yeah a lot of ppl forget about us folk on the other side lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Sorry to cut in again and the replies are very much appreciated - but Kilbarrack? Specifically near the Dart station. Okay area?

There is a large council estate in that area, Swans Nest etc. Like all such areas there are good and bad. I recall Joe Duffy years ago interviewing a train driver.
    The driver said that he drives on the Dublin Belfast run. Joe says "Jaze that must be dangerous" The driver reply was "It's grand when you get past Kilbarrack"

Many Thanks! To be fair I think a lot of areas in Dublin have got better over the years, defiantly worth bearing the history in mind though!

Any more thoughts on Kilbarrack, might be sticking an offer in on a house there tomorrow!

I spoke to a friend of my wife's who grew up in Raheny, she'd actually lived on the road I thinking of buying on. Reckons the area is grand - working class etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

Does anyone have any thoughts on Kilbarrack?

Thanks for the input so far folks!

Which parts of Kilbarrack? Which side of the train tracks? Grange Park is a lovely estate, mature and quiet. Swans Nest/Mount Olive is ok too. Don't know so much about Briarfield, that side of the station but on a whole the area isn't as bad as it can be made out to be. Like anywhere there are great and not so great parts

coats wrote: »
    Which parts of Kilbarrack? Which side of the train tracks? Grange Park is a lovely estate, mature and quiet. Swans Nest/Mount Olive is ok too. Don't know so much about Briarfield, that side of the station but on a whole the area isn't as bad as it can be made out to be. Like anywhere there are great and not so great parts

Thanks!

It's Briarfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

Anytime I've been down that way it has seemed nice enough, working class area, grew up the other side of the tracks myself lol. You'll be close to shops, schools etc,

coats wrote: »
    Anytime I've been down that way it has seemed nice enough, working class area, grew up the other side of the tracks myself lol. You'll be close to shops, schools etc,

I was pretty much told to expect the standard working class foibles - bit of underage drinking in the green spaces, some noise now and again. I say this having been the lad with the bottle of Tesco cider and a likely lass in my teens so don't take that statement the wrong way.

The wife is a bit more middle-class, grew up in suburbia (although the be fair we've both been living in inner-city Dublin now for more than decade but in a gated apartment complex) I think she's a bit worried about anti-social behaviour. That said the other house we're looking at is in Cabra and frankly I think we're as/more likely to get that there where she's fine with us living... A bit of the fear of the unknown so I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grover81

I'm from Raheny, quite familiar with Coolock and have some family that live in/around Kilbarrack - plus went to school in Bayside and Raheny/Clontarf so know the area pretty well.

Raheny, overall, is a great area, in my opinion. Even the ex-council houses in the area are very well taken care of and there's a great community feel with the village.

I'm also a big fan of Killester and there's some great bargains to be had in/around the village. I had looked at a few houses there (there weren't too many at the time) before settling on a property in Whitehall. The 'better' side is from the village towards the sea (Fury Park), so skirting around Clontarf, and the Demense and Middle Third are lovely, but you're likely to pay a bit more for property there as a result.

Coolock has some ok parts, but I wouldn't be mad about the areas in or around the village.

Kilbarrack is the same - the end closer to the coast is actually quite lovely (Thornville, Kilbarrack Ave), and some areas of Grange Park are quite nice. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the estates around the train station or anywhere near Mount Olive/Swan Next and I personally wouldn't recommend Briarfield. I have family that live near there and there is a good bit of anti-social behaviour. Nothing dangerous but just the general kids hanging around type stuff. Foxfield is a decent area too as is Assam's (which move back into Raheny).

Thanks Grover very much obliged!

I'm beginning to think it's going to be similar to areas we're looking in like Cabra and Inchicore, if you're familiar with those areas do you think that's a fair statement or would be be more like North Strand?

I assume there wouldn't be too many issues with drugs - again any thought on that would be most welcome.

Thanks again to you and all that have posted.

PS Will be hanging around there at night so if anyone sees a tall couple in a small silver car, we're not robbing you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't know enough to comment on specific parts of D15. There are, however, some things that should be standard buyer's precautions relating to any area:
    - Consider price levels: if property is cheap compared to similar properties elsewhere, the difference is probably due to the neighbourhood being less desirable.
    - Look around the neighbourhood: if houses and gardens are poorly maintained, consider it a negative factor.
    - Tour the area at different times to see what happens on the streets, particularly looking out for groups of young people hanging around, perhaps ready for mischief.

I don't know enough to comment on specific parts of D15. There are, however, some things that should be standard buyer's precautions relating to any area:
    - Consider price levels: if property is cheap compared to similar properties elsewhere, the difference is probably due to the neighbourhood being less desirable.
    - Look around the neighbourhood: if houses and gardens are poorly maintained, consider it a negative factor.
    - Tour the area at different times to see what happens on the streets, particularly looking out for groups of young people hanging around, perhaps ready for mischief.

Thanks great advice.

Cars are my favourite! Are they sheds/yob mobiles.

In all honesty is definitely a less desirable area. It's outside the M50, its an ex council estate and would be a working class area. That's not meant to be derogatory I'm a working class lad and grew up in a working class area. Only difference I guess would be I grew up in an ex-military estate - messing wasn't tolerated by the ex and current Army living in the area.

All the areas we're looking at would be working class/ex social I suppose we're just wanting to avoid area with anti-social behaviour issues (beyond the odd time you need to tell some yob to feck off for writing/sitting on your wall). The issues you get in some areas is that you tell some goober to p!ss off and you end up with his mates, family and various trouble makers outside your gaffe. It's that sort of thing I'm trying to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Many Thanks! To be fair I think a lot of areas in Dublin have got better over the years, defiantly worth bearing the history in mind though!

Any more thoughts on Kilbarrack, might be sticking an offer in on a house there tomorrow!

I spoke to a friend of my wife's who grew up in Raheny, she'd actually lived on the road I thinking of buying on. Reckons the area is grand - working class etc.

I am from Dublin 5. I think Kilbarrack is fine but being totally honest I would be careful which part I bought in. A good indicator is to drive around area at different times of day and night.

A little off topic but are you sure you want to buy in an area you know nothing about, would you consider renting in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Very familiar with all these areas and Grover81 has in bang on.
    I differ slightly on Briarfield. It can seem a slight bit tough/intimidating but anyone I know or met from there are honest decent folk.
    Although I couldn't afford anything in these areas (and I'm from there), if money was no issue I'd go for Raheny. Superb mix of houses to suit all types. Great village and community feel with plenty to do in the area. Transport is great from there also and with St.Annes and a coastline a walk away, what would stop you?:)
    Best of luck with the search. Have us all over for the house warming won't you!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Alicano wrote: »
    ... Have us all over for the house warming won't you!?
    Only if you pick on an area where it is safe to park!

So went there tonight! Bit of field feedback :)

Firstly I did my normal thing of finding a pharmacy and asking in there, could not have met a nicer woman in there who told me about the area she was from up the road but said where I was looking used to be a bit rough - fair enough, expected that. Mentioned some minor drugs issues, with them keeping themselves to themselves.

Off to the local pub; just stuck my head in. Bit rough alright but no rougher than the areas I'd be used to.

Security guard on the local shop - these guys are great but ran out of time so didn't do that on this visit.

Had an interaction with the local 'lads' honestly not even teenagers. Mr. Wideboy on the bike says "Hey Mister what time is it?" It's ten to five comes my reply. "Ah great your girlfriend told me to be around for 5 I'll go and buy the condoms". Little bollox but to be fair I normally find the ones with even a modicum of wit normally means they're not thick which usually means someone give a sh!t where they are at midnight.

Honestly looked right up my ally, working class but well looked after not a piece of rubbish to be seen, well maintained gardens. Recent enough reg cars parked in drives some older parked on the street. Few kids about but good natured enough. I'm going to swing by later in the week at around 9-10pm once the car is back from the garage.

Given I live near Oliver Bond and Bridgefoot street I think the area is actually a bit nicer than where I am now, although I'm in a gated apartment complex. All-in-all first impression are it's a go :)

Thanks again to all who have posted! Please keep it coming.

PS great suggestion on renting as the rentals out there are very reasonable, which thankfully seems to be keeping the investors out. Unfortunately we're in a bit of now or never situation re buying as I'll be going self-employed shortly.

Thanks Grover very much obliged!

I'm beginning to think it's going to be similar to areas we're looking in like Cabra and Inchicore, if you're familiar with those areas do you think that's a fair statement or would be be more like North Strand?

I assume there wouldn't be too many issues with drugs - again any thought on that would be most welcome.

Thanks again to you and all that have posted.

PS Will be hanging around there at night so if anyone sees a tall couple in a small silver car, we're not robbing you ;)

If your other choice is between Cabra and Inchicore - I'd go with Cabra for definite. Not a fan of Inchicore, but that's mainly due to past history of my parents having a shop there and having to close down due to multiple break-ins.

Cabra is quite a mixed area, but the roads around Ratoath in Cabra are quite nice areas. Yes - it would be similar to Kilbarrack in that sense. I rented in/around Portland Row for 4/5 years and 2 years around Merrion Sq and I would say that Kilbarrack would be more similar to Cabra then North Strand. You probably know yourself - the inner city actually is fine, once you're sensible enough but personally, although I was happy enough to rent there (despite a break in and my car being stolen.... oh and a fire in the apt block), I wouldn't want to live there permanently.

I'd echo Alicano's post re. Raheny. If I had to rank the various areas you've been looking at in terms of preference, personally I'd go with: 1) Raheny 2) Killester 3/4) Cabra 3/4) Artane (although some parts would be nicer than Cabra, it's slightly further from town) 4) Kilbarrack 5) Coolock.

So went there tonight! Bit of field feedback :)

Firstly I did my normal thing of finding a pharmacy and asking in there, could not have met a nicer woman in there who told me about the area she was from up the road but said where I was looking used to be a bit rough - fair enough, expected that. Mentioned some minor drugs issues, with them keeping themselves to themselves.

Off to the local pub; just stuck my head in. Bit rough alright but no rougher than the areas I'd be used to.

Security guard on the local shop - these guys are great but ran out of time so didn't do that on this visit.

Had an interaction with the local 'lads' honestly not even teenagers. Mr. Wideboy on the bike says "Hey Mister what time is it?" It's ten to five comes my reply. "Ah great your girlfriend told me to be around for 5 I'll go and buy the condoms". Little bollox but to be fair I normally find the ones with even a modicum of wit normally means they're not thick which usually means someone give a sh!t where they are at midnight.

Honestly looked right up my ally, working class but well looked after not a piece of rubbish to be seen, well maintained gardens. Recent enough reg cars parked in drives some older parked on the street. Few kids about but good natured enough. I'm going to swing by later in the week at around 9-10pm once the car is back from the garage.

Given I live near Oliver Bond and Bridgefoot street I think the area is actually a bit nicer than where I am now, although I'm in a gated apartment complex. All-in-all first impression are it's a go :)

Thanks again to all who have posted! Please keep it coming.

PS great suggestion on renting as the rentals out there are very reasonable, which thankfully seems to be keeping the investors out. Unfortunately we're in a bit of now or never situation re buying as I'll be going self-employed shortly.

Sounds good. Just to clear - all of the areas would be fine to live in - just some are a bit nicer than others :)

Another top tip someone has given me! Facebook groups! Getting some great inside gossip :D

Spoken to a few people now that have lived in the area, each time I speak to someone they give me someone else's phone number. Seems the trains station (which near enough) is a bit of an issue.

Think your description of Dublin 5 Coolock area is very snobbish and tars everyone with the one brush. Lots of decent parts to the area, great for the airport and town, decent shops in the area and generally lovely people in the area. Having a slightly different accent does not determine the quality of the people there. If you go in with that attitude than the area is certainly not for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

I remember years ago having to do some work out in Kilbarrack, and not being from Dublin I thought it was rough as hell, this would've been around 1995, thought I'd google map it on streetview:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3875237,-6.1602428,3a,75y,226.4h,78.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shO35mEB4hrHVKckNIlh91Q!2e0

All I say is, if it was me I'd be looking somewhere else, area like that and for the money, no thanks.

• Advertisement

Think your description of Dublin 5 Coolock area is very snobbish and tars everyone with the one brush. Lots of decent parts to the area, great for the airport and town, decent shops in the area and generally lovely people in the area. Having a slightly different accent does not determine the quality of the people there. If you go in with that attitude than the area is certainly not for you

If you look again at my post it was actually someone from the area that gave it that description in a rather tongue in cheek way. One thing that has to be borne in mind in some areas is the reputations comes from the residents themselves in a lot of cases ' talking up' and bravado. Ah sure I grew up in X - an example was a great exchange on a bus between two girls talking squaring up to each other I can't remember where the first one was but the second one said something along the lines of 'I'm from Oliver Bond - good luck with that'.

As I said in the OP this thread is not to be taken too seriously, a bit of humour goes along way. As I've also said I'm a working class lad so I know very well that in even the roughest areas 95% of the people are great and the minority ruin it. How bad that minority are is what someone needs to judge before moving into the area, especially an outsider.

If anything I've a bit of a chip on my shoulder - inverted snobbery if you will. Having grown up in a working class area but also near to some very privileged individuals I'd want my kids to go to a state school and learn a bit about life. I know that's a bit irrational but there we go.

Advertisement