Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards testing for drugs on roads

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Noobascious

Paranoid more than anxious, there's strains of cannabis that can alleviate anxiety. Od be doing about 20mph with a hunchback pose on my motorbike. Cops would think I was an auld fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

My excuse is I don't take drugs because I'm not a complete and total fúcking moron.
    I think you might want to work on a more plausible excuse.

I think the only, but significant, difference between tiredness and drugs is that when tired you are much more aware of the impairment, which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Read what I quoted and then said ffs.

I did, the conversation has gone like:

OP: "What will your excuse be?"
    RoyalMarine: "My excuse is I don't take drugs because I'm not a complete and total fúcking moron."
    You: "You sound like a right laugh."
    Me: "Yup, because going for a quick drive when off your face is very funny..."
    You: "He didn't say ANYTHING about driving"
    Me: "No but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the first comment in a post about driving while on drugs.... might be about driving while on drugs."

Now, unless you are in the wrong thread, this thread is talking about taking drugs and drinking, which the gardai are testing for. I think it's safe to assume that the very first post after the OP will be about taking drugs and driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Most stoners barely have the wherewithall to order their Domino's Big Night In Meal with extra Mac n' Cheese balls, let alone get behind the wheel of a car.
    really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

really

In my experience yes, stoners have difficulty executing simple tasks when stoned.

I suppose you think that because it 'relaxes you' it makes people better drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Yamanoto wrote: »

Article is pretty confusing. Mentions, nurofen, brufen, nurofen plus, and paracetemol, so 3 ibuprofen products 1 of which contains codeine.
    So how much codeine did he have seem like he had two doses over 12 hours.
    One thing that lots of these medicine have in common is a statement to the effect. "May cause impairment, if effected do not operate heavy machinery or drive"

Leaving it up to the driver, if they are okay, is problematic. How much more common did it used to be for drivers to figure that they were okay after a few pints if they had a feed before getting behind the wheel. We have already seen poster say they are okay after a few spliff, a few even claiming their driving improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It's about time. If you are foolish enough to think it's ok to drive under the influence of drink or drugs, putting your own and other people's lives in danger then you shouldn't be on the road and you deserve to get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

seamus wrote: »
    Yep, that's exactly what it is.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/new-garda-chief-unveils-tough-new-drug-driving-laws-299924.html

The test will give the Garda good cause to arrest you on suspicion of drug-driving, whereby they take you to the station and take a sample of blood or urine to test for drugs.
    It will be hard for them to do that with cannabis, it doesn't always cause the outward symptoms of red eyes, dilated pupils and there would be no problem performing the impairment test. Even if they did come back with a positive result a person could just fall back on the governments own descriptions of the drug staying in your system for a month, allowing you to say "I had that spliff 3 days ago". There's also the fact many drugs have natural versions floating around in our systems anyway, especially cannabinoids.
    No, the most dangerous drivers on the road are the aggressive ones.
    Slow drivers are the most dangerous both to themselves and everyone else on the road. They're like a rolling roadblock that can surprise drivers doing the speed limit behind them. They annoy other drivers to the point they make risky overtaking moves. In general they seem to think that driving slow equals driving safe, and their awareness plummets as they get engrossed in the conversation they're having with their passenger, or looking out the side window at people on the street. They cause traffic jams in small towns due to the train of cars they pick up blocking all junctions for a few minutes. They often jam on the brakes at night when other cars are coming towards them because they must think the road changes shape at night or something. They don't understand that water freezes below 4 degrees not when it gets cold. When something does go wrong their completely incapable of dealing with it because their reactions are pathetic. They cause people to get stuck at traffic lights because they were so slow to take off the lights went red as soon as they passed them.

They just infuriate other drivers and help develop bad habits in every other driver that meets them.

These drug tests the guards are doing are basically an excuse for them to arrest people they don't like the look of, the tests won't tell you much in reality. A chemical test needs to be done and when it comes to weed they can't really tell if you're intoxicated or have just smoked weed at some stage in the last few days because they're not testing for the active ingredient.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In my experience yes, stoners have difficulty executing simple tasks when stoned.

I suppose you think that because it 'relaxes you' it makes people better drivers.
    I never said a word about driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

thanks for the warning kit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Most stoners barely have the wherewithall to order their Domino's Big Night In Meal with extra Mac n' Cheese balls, let alone get behind the wheel of a car.

with your success and massive salary I'm taken aback that you would know of the existence of such humdrum establishments and their menus :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Well worried about this, i'm on long term medication for arthritis and have been for some time as well as a hitech prescript. Certainly not a stoner but now it seems ive to fear the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Satriale wrote: »
    do you drink tea?

They're testing for tea now? The mad bastrads. It's a Police state at this stage lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just waiting for a mate, Garda.

Advertisement