Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old drivers

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The vast majority of fatal road collision do not involve older drivers.

I wonder which demographic it is?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

efb wrote: »
    The vast majority of fatal road collision do not involve older drivers.

I wonder which demographic it is?

Never trust any statistic you didn't tweak yourself.

First, what's the total number of people over 70 in this country vs. people under 70?
    Second, what percentage of over 70s drive? I know neither of my grandmothers ever got behind the wheel, and while my mother got her license, she refuses to drive as well. Same on my husband's side.
    Third, how many hours a week do people over 70 drive vs. people under 70?

I'd be very curious to find any statistic taking all these factors into account, but I can't imagine there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My dad is 67 and the safest driver I know but my Mam is an absolute disgrace as a driver! I dread her in the car, yet she scored a perfect score on her driving test and lords it over my dad! She has never put her new car into first gear and takes off in third! Luckily she only drives to mass and the local shop and back- they're only up the road and she can't go any faster than a crawl on that road.

She tried to teach me to drive when I was younger and the first day told me go into the wrong lane on the roundabout, insisting she was telling me the correct way to go - I pulled over into the nearest shopping centre and rang my dad telling him what happened - she took the phone and told him I'm a very nervous driver and I don't know the rules of the road!!:eek: My dad had to teach me in secret! Getting the car off her in a few years in going to be just delightful!:(

My mother in law and all my sister in laws are crazily bad drivers, they obviously passed the test in a who you know not a what you know basis. They've totalled so many cars it's insane! They told me stories of what they done on their driving tests that I can't believe they passed at all! I'm talking crazy things (driving up on the path to undertake a truck, stopping in the middle of a busy high speed road to take out their glasses and read a sign, driving into a ditch on the 3 point turn, pulling out without indicating, one of the sisters actually totalled her own car by driving it at high speed into a ditch and turned up for her test half an hour later in her husbands car which she wasn't even insured to drive- she passed no bother! It's insane!) I'd never get into a car with any of them!

Also, I never learned how to parallel park.....It's my secret shame :( My husband laughs at me over it but then I remind him that he once parked the car in such a tight spot either side for me to collect that I couldn't get my pregnant self into the car and had to get the parking lot attendant to climb in the window to drive it out, resulting in having to deal with the "oh you're a lady and you can't park, lol" lecture. He owes me big for that!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Shenshen wrote: »
    Never trust any statistic you didn't tweak yourself.

First, what's the total number of people over 70 in this country vs. people under 70?
    Second, what percentage of over 70s drive? I know neither of my grandmothers ever got behind the wheel, and while my mother got her license, she refuses to drive as well. Same on my husband's side.
    Third, how many hours a week do people over 70 drive vs. people under 70?

I'd be very curious to find any statistic taking all these factors into account, but I can't imagine there is one.

obi the demographic isn't over 70 v u70

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

My driving instructor told me to always watch out for elderly drivers sailing through lights etc. It wasn't just due to diminishing eyesight and reactions but also that many would have never sat a proper driving test when they first started never mind lessons. They simply are not as aware of rules and protocols. Sure didn't thry hand thousands of licences out in 1979?

Cover all of their cars in massive rolls of bubble wrap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bridge93 wrote: »
    My driving instructor told me to always watch out for elderly drivers sailing through lights etc. It wasn't just due to diminishing eyesight and reactions but also that many would have never sat a proper driving test when they first started never mind lessons. They simply are not as aware of rules and protocols. Sure didn't thry hand thousands of licences out in 1979?

Cover all of their cars in massive rolls of bubble wrap!

That's just daft to assume that people who did not take a test have been driving since the 1960s with no knowledge of how to deal with a traffic light! However, like everything, some people can cope and others can't. My husband was always a very safe driver and I had total confidence in his driving even though he got his license by just asking for it. Now however he is not fit to drive, and doesn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stick them all in self driving google cars

Advertisement