Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russell borrows whip from enright

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You would think differently if you had money on Enrights horse.

Not really, I would never touch a horse from that yard at 33s, owner likes to punt and if it was fancied he wouldnt be 33s.

But back on topic..... complete over reaction by stewards, an appeal will be made and riders will get to ride at xmas.

In fact I'd give Davy a pat on th back for asking for whip (assum thats what happened), what quick thinking....in a sport where split second decisions can result in winning and loosing of a race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Disgraceful from Enright id have given him a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

I heard this on the news this evening and knowing absolutely nothing about racing was puzzled. I tried to think of any number of reasons why handing a whip to another jockey would be a cause for such outcry without success. Now looking at this thread it seems that the jockey was doing the aquivalent of throwing in the towel at a boxing match before the first round. Is that the case and if so why did it bring the sport into disrepute. No agenda. just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Seem to remember this happening before with a Gordon Elliot horse at Cheltenham when a jockey was given a whip by the jock of a weakening horse. Not sure what the ban was they got or if they even got one! The Elliott horse won too iirc

Hoopy. But the rider pulled it out of the hand of a beaten horse/jockey. Wasn't quite the same as the collusion here and only 1 person to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Not really, I would never touch a horse from that yard at 33s, owner likes to punt and if it was fancied he wouldnt be 33s.

But back on topic..... complete over reaction by stewards, an appeal will be made and riders will get to ride at xmas.

In fact I'd give Davy a pat on th back for asking for whip (assum thats what happened), what quick thinking....in a sport where split second decisions can result in winning and loosing of a race
    Two mile hurdle after the second,no need for quick thinking there.
    Having got a brief look on attr,it looks like they arranged it that Davy would take the whip from him rather than hand it over so I think Davy should have taken the rap for this and said he took it of him.
    Stupid place on the course to have handed it over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Just seen this on IrishRacing.com
    Davy Russell and Philip Enright are free to ride at the big Christmas festivals after the five-day bans they received for the 'whip borrowing' incident at Clonmel on December 7 were reduced to two days on appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Just seen this on IrishRacing.com

Amazing.

Suppose it's not surprising they did it really, given they knew the penalty wouldn't be severe.

"The panel is keen to send out a message that these things should not happen. "???????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Was just listening to 2fm sports pundit lose all racing credibility brand the reduction of the ban as common sense about 6 times. What a load of horse sh*t
    People like him commending light treatment of these things reinforces the weak decisions these organisations make

Boooooom.... Great decision, looking forward to seeing these in action over Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

a different jurisdiction but compare this to dickie Johnson who made a mistake. these lads blatantly cheated and let off. it's a ****ing disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Boooooom.... Great decision, looking forward to seeing these in action over Xmas

:D:D

Glad I'll be seeing Davy tbf but come on, they are lucky ducks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

An ex jockey said this happens from time to time although no very often, but he maintains that its never seen or captured in Irish racing due to bad footage from most courses. IN some cases a more senior jockey will just take a whip from a youngster

On the other hand it sends out a message to other riders that in the heat of the moment can cheat and upon appeal you'll be fine!
    I would not be happy if I owned Backinyourbox who would be considered a very different class of owner than Leave at dawns' owner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Shambles of a decision.

How do you feel if you own, trained or have backed Enrights horse and see that happening? I

Owner/Trainer has him on Never Said That today, so I assume they had no problem as if they did they would most likely changed jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Owner/Trainer has him on Never Said That today, so I assume they had no problem as if they did they would most likely changed jockey.
    But the point is you have to be seen to be giving your horse the best chance in a race regardless of what the owner thinks or what price it is or racing is just a farce and you may as well go back to match ups from steeple to steeple if that all the worth of the outsiders are.

Advertisement