Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russell borrows whip from enright

Options
  • 04-12-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Racing Post (@RacingPost)
    04/12/2014 14:16
    Davy Russell on unplaced favourite Leave At Dawn borrows a whip from Phillip Enright after dropping his early on. pic.twitter.com/WLZnQY7wBy

Download the official Twitter app here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Very silly - he's going to get a ban for that surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Didn't see the race. Did he take it forcefully or did Enright hand it over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

They are both in trouble I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    They are both in trouble I would think.
    Good point, giving the whip away and you could say he broke the rule that requires the jockey to ride the horse to the best of its ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Both banned for 5 days. Russell will miss some good rides at Leopardstown and Enright will miss some at Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Madness from both jockeys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Jesus was certainly expecting longer than five days!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Jesus was certainly expecting longer than five days!

Seriously? why?

Seriously? why?

Are you serious?

What happens if Russell beat Enrights horse by a nose? What if Russell beats any horse by a nose? What if you lay the horse after noticing the mishap and he wins by a nose?
    Jockey and horse are part of the same team, if that team makes an error and it involves losing the whip, you're not expecting the whip to return. If it's allowed and he has an extra whip in his boot, then so be it.

How do you feel if you own, trained or have backed Enrights horse and see that happening? I know the trainer and owner hardly fancied it but doesn't matter, it's not right.
    After one hurdle you've copped that you have been rightly mugged off surely?
    It's bizarre and farcical and certainly not the kind of conduct that would endear anyone to racing and probably the kind of conduct that would put a racing fan or two off.
    Enright's nearly worse to be honest for handing it over, he has 100% admitted to all that he isn't going to do his all to win the race.
    It really shouldn't matter if the horses were 500/1 and 1/500.

I'd back any price about the two lads being mightily relieved this evening.

It's cheating and 5 days seems weak.

Did jockeys in England not get a ten day ban last week for not copping that they should have stopped despite the incorrect flag being waved by the steward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

5 days seems lenient but at least they'll miss proper days racing, absolutely stupid from both parties and bans fully deserved.

• Advertisement

Are you serious?

What happens if Russell beat Enrights horse by a nose? What if Russell beats any horse by a nose? What if you lay the horse after noticing the mishap and he wins by a nose?
    Jockey and horse are part of the same team, if that team makes an error and it involves losing the whip, you're not expecting the whip to return. If it's allowed and he has an extra whip in his boot, then so be it.

How do you feel if you own, trained or have backed Enrights horse and see that happening? I know the trainer and owner hardly fancied it but doesn't matter, it's not right.
    It's bizarre and farcical and certainly not the kind of conduct that would endear anyone to racing and probably the kind of conduct that would put a racing fan or two off.
    Enright's nearly worse to be honest for handing it over, he has 100% admitted to all that he isn't going to do his all to win the race.

Did jockeys in England not get a ten day ban last week for not copping that they should have stopped despite the incorrect flag being waved by the steward?

I don't disagree with your points, from a gambling pov on another day could be a messy situation but there was no damage done to the gamblers in the race or was there a health n safety issue or anything to deceive anyone. Sure Davy done everything possible to try n win the race on an odds on shot:).

I would have thought a 1or2 day ban and a fine would have have been plenty and you can be sure this situation would not arise again as all jockeys would know it was against rules and would be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Seem to remember this happening before with a Gordon Elliot horse at Cheltenham when a jockey was given a whip by the jock of a weakening horse. Not sure what the ban was they got or if they even got one! The Elliott horse won too iirc

The maddest thing about it is where it happened, it's like they waited until the one place in Clonmel where you can see everything clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Can't use the excuse that he was weakening if it was only after the first hurdle the whip was handed over.

Completely bizarre Russell would do something like this to win a handicap hurdle in Clonmel. You could forgive him in a Gold Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Shemale wrote: »
    The maddest thing about it is where it happened, it's like they waited until the one place in Clonmel where you can see everything clearly.

Sure he probably wanted some Christmas holidays

I don't disagree with your points, from a gambling pov on another day could be a messy situation but there was no damage done to the gamblers in the race or was there a health n safety issue or anything to deceive anyone. Sure Davy done everything possible to try n win the race on an odds on shot:).

I would have thought a 1or2 day ban and a fine would have have been plenty and you can be sure this situation would not arise again as all jockeys would know it was against rules and would be in trouble.

Yeah but I don't think it really matters what happens after the fact.
    I know Davy was doing his utmost to win, but as I said it's Enright who is most at fault.
    It's such a stupid thing to do it's hard to believe.
    Don't think it's fair to say one mans fiver on the 33/1 shot isn't as important as another mans monkey on the fav either- regardless of the result.
    And whatever about the gamblers, what about the owners, potential owners etc.. even if it puts 1 owner off it's money gone away from the sport..
    I know theres what ifs in there and maybe I'm overreacting but it's disappointing to see.

A 1 or 2 day ban would have a complete and utter embarrassment IMO, and a 5 day ban isn't far off...
    I think jockeys have always known they can't be handing their whips over mid race.. I hope so anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The book should be thrown at Enright what an absolute disgrace of a jockey he is for doing that. Should be banned for a few months.

5 day ban hahaha that is rancid. Irish racing is an absolute farce.

Yeah but I don't think it really matters what happens after the fact.
    I know Davy was doing his utmost to win, but as I said it's Enright who is most at fault.
    It's such a stupid thing to do it's hard to believe.
    Don't think it's fair to say one mans fiver on the 33/1 shot isn't as important as another mans monkey on the fav either- regardless of the result.
    And whatever about the gamblers, what about the owners, potential owners etc.. even if it puts 1 owner off it's money gone away from the sport..
    I know theres what ifs in there and maybe I'm overreacting but it's disappointing to see.

A 1 or 2 day ban would have a complete and utter embarrassment IMO, and a 5 day ban isn't far off...
    I think jockeys have always known they can't be handing their whips over mid race.. I hope so anyway..

We will have to agree to disagree on the bans or fine they receive but we can agree on Enright been a toolbox for handing over and effectively saying i ain't gonna be winning anyways(i think this message he sends out is the worst of this situation for the general public)

I have fivers on horses too and what i meant by the gambling end of it was nobody in their right mind would be putting anything on this horse at any price, coming back from over 400 days off the track with zero form before(prob scoots in the next day off a basement mark:rolleyes:).

Maybe it's just me but i would be very surprised if this turned off any new owner to the game( by that i mean this incident in particular). I think the drug cases recently are prob doing a good job of that, which is funny really because i don't think there is a ban long enough for that or anything of that nature including pulling horses to lay etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Seem to remember this happening before with a Gordon Elliot horse at Cheltenham when a jockey was given a whip by the jock of a weakening horse. Not sure what the ban was they got or if they even got one! The Elliott horse won too iirc

I was there. Hoopy nov 08 iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

lester once stole the whip from another jockey in mid swing

lester once stole the whip from another jockey in mid swing

Some chancer "that was an unfortunate incident".

The best thing about this is the Byrnes money appeared to be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Some chancer "that was an unfortunate incident".

Yeah, that was hilarious - typical Lester! I remember seeing another interview where he said "it was just one of those things that happen in racing"!

Still, that's what you want in a jockey - desperate to win. That's why McCoy is so popular with the punters - it's the kind of thing he would have no problem doing if he thought he could get a winner. As for giving his whip to another jockey during a race .....

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Are you serious?

What if pigs could fly?

What if pigs could fly?

Your valuable input in the thread wouldn't be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Your valuable input in the thread wouldn't be there?

The incident had no significant impact on the race, what ifs are abserd

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Your being completely results orientated which is completely wrong...Enright decided after one hurdle that he was not going to try to the best of his abilities...He should receive a much harsher ban to reflect this...

What if pigs could fly?

Completely irrelevant what happens after the fact.

But bravo, excellent argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Richard Johnson has got a 12 day ban for taking the wrong course today.

If the bans between these 2 offences were the other way around I'd have thought it would be satisfactory.

Although I still don't understand Russells ban as he essentially done nothing wrong

• Advertisement

You would think differently if you had money on Enrights horse.

Advertisement