Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminists 1, lingerie 0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

drumswan wrote: »
    If idiotic feminists didnt keep publishing absurd articles like this one in the national press there would be nothing to campaign against. This is not 'any random example' its one of a series of articles produced by a group of journalists writing in a national newspaper. They are not 15 year old bloggers on tumblr.
    Nobody cares about what some inane barely-coherent nonsense a crackpot writes in a newspaper article.

The newspapers spew out this stuff, because it generates controversy/sales/clicks/ad-revenue - they don't give a toss about their readers or insulting their intelligence, just about advertising/money - so 'campaigning' by posting a "lets look at the what the stupid feminist has to say ha-ha" post, on one of the heaviest-traffic forums in Ireland, really just tells the IT that this makes more money for them, and they should pay journalists to put out more of that nonsense.

If you want to 'campaign' against it, start a letter-writing campaign and boycott against the Irish Times - rather than giving them more funding with links; same goes for all the YouTube/blog links, they all generate money for the extremists on both sides, which is why they try to be so inflammatory/controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Jake1 wrote: »
    No, I mean the other ones, You are fabulous :);)

Ah good. So by the "other ones" you mean the class of person who thinks they represent either women's or men's rights by mistakenly taking a narrow view of either gender's roles and thinking they're fighting against the persecution of that narrow view?

Because, as I'm sure you know, that kind of carry on isn't the exclusive preserve of feminists. See my previous post that mentions John Waters and David Quinn. These kind of people, male or female, are equally offensive to their own genders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Hey! What's wrong with John Waters!!?

So why hardline feminists want to portray women as weak pawns just confuses the hell out of me.

Y'know, they're not even hardline feminists. They're narrowline feminists if anything. I'm hardline. I demand equality and I get it. I don't take kindly to anyone, male or female, telling me what to think - in this case (the article in the OP) that Hozier has somehow offended female sensibilities by accompanying a fashion show of some rather lovely underwear.

catallus wrote: »
    Hey! What's wrong with John Waters!!?

Oh, don't get me started :( Most men I know rather object to his dangerously narrow-minded approach to men's rights, specifically those regarding gay men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If people didn't keep re-linking these articles leading to high hit rates, media outlets wouldn't pay people to write them.

You're basically doing unpaid promotional work for both the outlet and the journalist in question Zulu. They're playing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Shrap wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me started :(

But...but what am I supposed to do with all this popcorn now?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Between the overwhelming nerd angst of "Gamergate" and the extremist feminist craze that's been invading the tubes, 2014 has seen two of the worst things to come out of the internet since Rickrolling. Here's hoping 2015 sees a return to videos of cats doing silly things so we can all take a breather.

It's interesting you mention Gamergate because I watched a video last night on why it and feminism has garnered so much attention this year.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Apologies for the mobile link, I'll update it when I get home. Interesting video all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Except these feminists are attempting to codify anti-feminism as hate speech.

They are a problem, its no use just dismissing them as crackpots and telling people that people like the author in the article arent actually feminists at all. She is a feminist and has a credible voice among them. They get to publish article after article in the national press.

They are spearheading an insidious political movement in Europe and need to be exposed for what they are,

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2009_2014/documents/libe/dv/11_revframework_statute_/11_revframework_statute_en.pdf

Exactly. This 'it's just a tiny minority' is a lie

This is an excellent article that shows what today's feminism is all about, shutting down debate and dissent.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9376232/free-speech-is-so-last-century-todays-students-want-the-right-to-be-comfortable/

This is why men will not support feminism because we know full well it has nothing to do with 'equality'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Shrap wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me started :( Most men I know rather object to his dangerously narrow-minded approach to men's rights, specifically those regarding gay men.

apart form the gay men . waters represent men's right quite well.
    he can be whiny but speak a lot of sense and truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Candie wrote: »
    It's yet another nutjob comment being put out there as though it's got some kind of mainstream significance. I could put some beauties off Return of Kings or AVFM,
    You are not comparing like with like.

We live in a country that has been so hopelessly corrupted by the Feminist-Left, that our government is about to criminalise sex between consenting adults, among just one of dozens of legislative and societal victories.

How much Return of Kings inspired legislation has been passed in the Western world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Nobody cares about what some inane barely-coherent nonsense a crackpot writes in a newspaper article
    Yes they do, this is just the public face of feminism which is driving change for the worse in our society, shutting down dissent and free speech to advance their own narrow position.

SeanW wrote: »
    We live in a country that has been so hopelessly corrupted by the Feminist-Left

.....Aaand, I'm outta here. Too much stupid.

Exactly. This 'it's just a tiny minority' is a lie

This is an excellent article that shows what today's feminism is all about, shutting down debate and dissent.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9376232/free-speech-is-so-last-century-todays-students-want-the-right-to-be-comfortable/

This is why men will not support feminism because we know full well it has nothing to do with 'equality'.
    So, this author, Brendan O'Neill, denies global warming, is against tackling racism in football and denies instances of racism (thinks it's a sign of a 'class war' :confused:), is against same-sex marriage and against campaigns for it.

In that article, he is complaining about feminist students protesting an abortion debate, where no female debater appeared to be invited to debate, and where the person chosen for the pro-choice position, was a borderline racist, who is also against same-sex marriage.

Then he goes on a lengthy rant/whine about students-of-today being against free speech, because they keep exercising their right to free speech by protesting his debates on various topics like:
    I’ve been jeered at by students at the University of Cork for criticising gay marriage; cornered and branded a ‘denier’ by students at University College London for suggesting industrial development in Africa should take precedence over combating climate change; lambasted by students at Cambridge (again) for saying it’s bad to boycott Israeli goods.
    Pro-Israeli-government there too, nice.

Good company to have there, for backing anti-feminist attacks.

So, this author, Brendan O'Neill, denies global warming, is against tackling racism in football and denies instances of racism (thinks it's a sign of a 'class war' :confused:), is against same-sex marriage and against campaigns for it.

In that article, he is complaining about feminist students protesting an abortion debate, where no female debater appeared to be invited to debate, and where the person chosen for the pro-choice position, was a borderline racist, who is also against same-sex marriage.

Then he goes on a lengthy rant/whine about students-of-today being against free speech, because they keep exercising their right to free speech by protesting his debates on various topics like:

The usual ad hominem argument I see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Students being students and now feminism is the downfall of society
    give us a break

The usual ad hominem argument I see.
    You think people shouldn't know what kind of a nutter he is?

Anyway, ad-hominem to attack the credibility of peoples sources/links, is actually a valid/non-fallacious use of ad-hominem - so long as I don't use it against his actual arguments (which would be fallacious):
    Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact or when used in certain kinds of moral and practical reasoning
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

I also debunked his claims of censoring free speech directly - without using ad-hominem - by showing that what he was talking about, was actually just people exercising their own right to free speech, by protesting against him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Things must be bad if we're on the same side KB
    :pac:

Rubbish, you dismissed his arguments based on his character, classic ad hominem.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »

Yeah I could have sworn my internet was broken there for a moment and the universe had collapsed inwards on itself. Maybe it's just the Christmas spirit though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Rubbish, you dismissed his arguments based on his character, classic ad hominem.
    Much like arguments are routinely dismissed because of the university major of the author.

"Gender studies? Must be bullsh!t"

Rare indeed :) I might still be arguing with Libertarians in the end at least, as a lot of anti-feminist ammunition comes from that movement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I must say I thought misogynistic underwear would be more revealing :(

<voiceover man> ......and now the Non Misogynistic Range from Victorias Secret,..........here's Mavis wearing an inflatable onsie which beautifully hides her body, and has a 4 star NCAP safety rating, which means she safe from impact at up to 30 mph............. we think its supportive and comfortable to wear, we'll know more once she takes off the diving helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

BBDBB wrote: »
    I must say I thought misogynistic underwear would be more revealing :(

<voiceover man> ......and now the Non Misogynistic Range from Victorias Secret,..........here's Mavis wearing an inflatable onsie which beautifully hides her body, and has a 4 star NCAP safety rating, which means she safe from impact at up to 30 mph............. we think its supportive and comfortable to wear, we'll know more once she takes off the diving helmet

Victorian secret.

Rare indeed :) I might still be arguing with Libertarians in the end at least, as a lot of anti-feminist ammunition comes from that movement :)

I'd be as wary of saying libertarians all support them as much as feminists all support article in the OP

I'd be as wary of saying libertarians all support them as much as feminists all support article in the OP
    Ah, absolutely - I wouldn't think that (definitely none of the Libertarians I've debated with on economic topics); just interesting to see the funding links.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Ah, absolutely - I wouldn't think that (definitely none of the Libertarians I've debated with on economic topics); just interesting to see the funding links.

Its another American thing. The athiest and feminist have been at each other over there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

If idiotic feminists didnt keep publishing absurd articles like this one in the national press there would be nothing to campaign against. This is not 'any random example' its one of a series of articles produced by a group of journalists writing in a national newspaper. They are not 15 year old bloggers on tumblr.

Let's put things in perspective here. We're talking about newspapers here. This is 2014, your average no-mark journo writing in an Irish newspaper reaches less people than a 15 year old blogger on Tumblr.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Actually he did the opposite...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

You've proven his point. The liberal feminist brigade tolerant no dissent. You describe him as mentally ill for daring to voice an opinion on global warming and gay marriage. Don't worry I'm sure it will be soon illegal to criticise feminism and then the whole world will be one huge safe space.

Except of course for the Middle East and Africa where women genuinely are oppressed. Funny how you never hear feminists speaking out about real injustice. I guess its more important to harass a scientist for wearing the wrong kind of t-shirt and bitching about a musician playing at a fashion show.

Advertisement