Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orion launch 4th Dec 1205pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Success it looks like, that seemed like a very fast ascent, faster than a shuttle launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

That thing hauled ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

GO ORION! Man... that delta v takes off like a bullet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Ah crap. I missed it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Me too :(
    It's up on youtube already though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hn8qnsucwo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Firefox11 wrote: »
    GO ORION! Man... that delta v takes off like a bullet!

If the delta is fast wait till they actually load it on the rocket its supposed to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Whats the timeline for landing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Splashdown at 4.29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Great live views of the earth out the window from the high orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

This is some of the best TV I've seen in a long time accept it's not on TV.
    Barndi Dean o I dream

• Advertisement

Now on re-entry.

Parachutes deployed.

Video is freezing a lot

There's lots of pics being put up on twitter that show what i presume is taken from the recovery ship. There's a nice charred look to Orion if i say so myself!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

big deal this , first step to Mars
    Or you could look at it as re-inventing the Saturn I and Apollo :p

It's 50 years since they launched the first orbital test flights of Apollo and it's service module.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS-102_%28spacecraft%29

In 6 years we might have manned missions, maybe
    Back in the 60's they got to the moon and back in less time.

Hopefully NASA is back on track, but still early days.

on_the_moon.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Hopefully NASA is back on track, but still early days.

I don't think so, this is more of the same from NASA, so far the Orion has cost 9 billion and its still not finished, thats a crazy waste of money, criminal IMO

the sooner this thing gets cancelled the better

nokia69 wrote: »
    I don't think so, this is more of the same from NASA, so far the Orion has cost 9 billion and its still not finished, thats a crazy waste of money, criminal IMO

the sooner this thing gets cancelled the better
    Yer fierce negative!
    What would be a better way of spending the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

shedweller wrote: »
    Yer fierce negative!
    What would be a better way of spending the money?

well to develop the falcon 9 and the dragon 1, spaceX spent just under 900 million

dragon 2 will cost less than 2.6 billion, and its more complex than Orion IMO

for 9 billion I would expect some serious progress not just a copy of an Apollo era capsule

Fair points. I suppose it was a slightly more palatable way of borrowing more money. At least it partly went into wages and onwards back into the economy eh?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fair points. I suppose it was a slightly more palatable way of borrowing more money. At least it partly went into wages and onwards back into the economy eh?!
    Pork Barrelling was the main reason why the Shuttle's boosters had to be made in sections with O rings at the joints just so they could be road transportable instead of being shipped and we all know how that turned out.

for 9 billion I would expect some serious progress not just a copy of an Apollo era capsule
    At least they weren't using a triple core Atlas V ( at this stage the V nearly stands for Vostok )

*cough* command module *cough*
    http://www.space-airbusds.com/en/programme/mpcv-esm-v15.html
    Under an agreement between NASA and ESA, ratified in December 2012, the new American Orion vehicle for manned space exploration missions will be powered by a European service module based on the design and experience of the ATV (Automated Transfer Vehicle), the supply craft for the International Space Station (ISS) developed and built by Airbus Defence and Space.

Also Delta IV Heavy isn't man rated but academic seeing as how these are only proving flights.

Then again a later model of the Saturn IB did launch manned flights in 1968

p249.jpg
    Saturn 1B on the Milkstool vs. Saturn V

• Advertisement

Also this week :)

Hayabusa 2 is an asteroid sample return mission operated by the Japanese space agency
    The target is asteroid (162173) 1999 JU3. Hayabusa 2 is expected to arrive at the target in July 2018, survey the asteroid for a year and a half, depart in December 2019, and return to Earth in December 2020.[5]

The spacecraft features ion engines, upgraded guidance and navigation technology, antennas and attitude control systems.[7] Operations at the asteroid will be similar[clarification needed] to those of the previous Hayabusa, but with an explosive device to dig the asteroid surface for fresh sample material
    http://smsc.cnes.fr/MASCOT/
    MASCOT is a 10 kg lander equipped with a mobility mechanism which will enable it to visit up to 3 sites on the asteroid. The only source of energy is its primary batteries which last for a maximum of 12 hours.

This week \o/

nZdLe9K.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I missed the whole excitement of the live event this time. Did Orion take pics of space at its furthest point of orbit ? All along, actually ? Can it ? I know it was short and fast...
    I've seen the stunning Earth image.

I missed the launch and orbits but got the landing. I dont know if they have any video from inside the capsule. That would be cool eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Streets_of Rage 2 Come_On

well to develop the falcon 9 and the dragon 1, spaceX spent just under 900 million

dragon 2 will cost less than 2.6 billion, and its more complex than Orion IMO

Chinas building a brand new Rocket and brand new Engine. Long March 9 for a Moon Run in 2028.

http: //usa .chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2014-12/08/content_19043616.htm

http :// en. wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Launch_System

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I missed the launch and orbits but got the landing. I dont know if they have any video from inside the capsule. That would be cool eh?

There's a Mirror or Daily Mail article that claims they do, but no official link that I found. Don't know if speed would have allowed much, I'm interested in these things but I have a congenital logic deficiency condition :pac:

At any rate, the cameras would (should) have recorded and saved internally. I know i'd fit it out with go-pros everywhere! Space rated go-pros of course, complete with two or three extra zeros on the price tag!

The complete test flight from on-board cams sped up!

Im sure we will get lovely hi res HD video once the download it from the actual spacecraft.

• Advertisement

Firefox11 wrote: »
    The complete test flight from on-board cams sped up!

Im sure we will get lovely hi res HD video once the download it from the actual spacecraft.
    Nice one!

Advertisement