Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The ovoids i got were the same as in the south. Might get a bit cheaper after brexit, who knows?

Only if the price of the pound falls against the euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What's the actual saving over buying local?

First day of summer today.

Huh? first day of Summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Jeez was first day of winter yesterday.

So the coal arrived at about 9.30 this morning, great service as that was less than 24hrs since I ordered, but have some bad news to report.

To cut a longish story short there is no way that Liam Connollys can guarantee the size of truck the delivery is made with. That shouldn't matter for most people but because access to our house is either down a very narrow lane or around a hair pin bend I asked if delivery could be made by rigid body truck and was assured that it would be, of course it was made on an articulated truck (last artic down this road spent a couple of hours reversing back up the hill).

The driver phoned in advance and knew the area and that there was no way he could get around the bend. So instead of delivery to the end of my drive I had to take delivery to a lay-by half a mile up the road, if I didn't have a trailer I'd have been a bit stuck. The driver was great however and helped out as much as he could. If I had had a bigger trailer he would have dropped the pallet right in it, he also helped load my trailer by hand. I suspect if needed he would have waited for me to unload and come back for the rest of the pallet load on the side of the road but my wife sat with that just in case someone decided that half a tonne of coal left on the side of the road was to tempting.

For anyone interested the delivery is made through the pallet network (mentioned in an earlier post http://tpn.ie/) so the lorry picking up the load isn't the same one or even connected to the company that delivers it except through the pallet network distribution system. The up side of the system is that the delivery is made by local drivers who know the area.

Still I would use coal warehouse again but next time I'd have the trailer out ready just in case. Instead of moving the coal 100yards at my leisure I had to move it half a mile which despite my moaning made little difference to me in the end. Next time I might be lucky and get a smaller rigid truck :)

One last point (until I report back about the "user experience" :) ) the 25kg bags are just bl00dy brilliant and make no overall difference to the cost per tonne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭deandean

OK so the Sterling exchange rate is down...
    Coal Warehouse have prices in Euro.
    I wonder will there be some price reductions?
    There's plenty of time left, I want to order before the Autumn.
    Any thoughts, folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

deandean wrote: »
    Any thoughts, folks?

Was just thinking the same myself

deandean wrote: »
    Any thoughts, folks?

Ring them and ask 04887740911 ?

Don't forget that you pay for the delivery in Sterling so you'll save nearly €4 on todays exchange rate over what I paid at the beginning of the week. Not a whole lot but its going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

price reductions today,€20 off per ton of all coal.....
    DUE TO THE EXCHANGE RATE AND SUMMER PRICES WE WILL BE OFFERING €20 PER TONNE OFF ALL PRODUCTS WHILE STOCKS LASTS
    ****STARTING AT 12PM TODAY****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

How many 25k bags are in a ton ?
    Trying to work out the savings..
    Sorry if this has been asked before..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

1000kg=1 ton
    40x25kg bags=1ton

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

sunny2004 wrote: »
    How many 25k bags are in a ton ?
    Trying to work out the savings..
    Sorry if this has been asked before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

reaper180 wrote: »
    DUE TO THE EXCHANGE RATE AND SUMMER PRICES WE WILL BE OFFERING €20 PER TONNE OFF ALL PRODUCTS WHILE STOCKS LASTS
    If prices have not been dropping with currency then they have been increasing, a 50 cent a bag drop is less than the currency drop

sword1 wrote: »
    If prices have not been dropping with currency then they have been increasing, a 50 cent a bag drop is less than the currency drop

I think you need to compare it with prices here rather than worrying about about every last cent you can get on the exchange rate.

They aren't passing on the full saving but they are providing a system that has been allowing users south of the border to save at least 25% on their coal bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Once those suppliers go to the market with their pound sterling to replenish their stock they will see their costs rise drastically, this is why they're not cutting the price by more.

On a wider scale any savings from shopping north of the border for other products will be short lived as the new stock that UK companies will be buying over the coming months will cost them a lot more as their currency has fallen by over 20% versus the dollar in a fortnight.

reaper180 wrote: »

Anyone Facebook that can post the new prices (or the existing prices so we can see the discount?), I assume they are on facebook? Im not

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone Facebook that can post the new prices (or the existing prices so we can see the discount?), I assume they are on facebook? Im not

*******Prices Slashed*******
    ******New Summer Prices Start Now******
    All products reduced by €20 per tonne
    Polish Coal €200 per tonne
    Black Diamond €230 per tonne
    Amber €200 per tonne
    Doubles €200 per tonne
    Ovoids €300 per tonne
    Clearflame €300 per tonne
    Countryblend €300 per tonne
    Slack €150 per tonne
    Singles €175 per tonne

So its 20euro off all the prices above...

stevveyg wrote: »
    Amber €200 per tonne
    Doubles €200 per tonne
    Ovoids €300 per tonne
    Slack €150 per tonne
    Singles €175 per tonne

I paid €300 for ovoids which included a €20 off summer promotion (normally €320) I suspect until someone phones them and gets an extra €20 off this is just the same promotion and the prices already have €20 off.

my3cents wrote: »
    I paid €300 for ovoids with a €20 off summer promotion I suspect until someone phones them and gets an extra €20 off this is just the same promotion and the prices already have €20 off.

no they are answering peoples queries on facebook, and they selling ovoids for 280per tonne etc, im sickened because i bought 2 tonne last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

no they are answering peoples queries on facebook, and they selling ovoids for 280per tonne etc, im sickened because i bought 2 tonne last week!
    Seems a lot to be buying this time of year, left a few bags outside covered with canvass for the summer a couple of years ago, bags burst when I went to top up bunker ,a bit of a mess, i make sure I have no more than bunker full by march now

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    Seems a lot to be buying this time of year, left a few bags outside covered with canvass for the summer a couple of years ago, bags burst when I went to top up bunker ,a bit of a mess, i make sure I have no more than bunker full by march now

We store ours in a shed and after emptying the bags last another 3 or more years doing duty as bags for wood off cuts I get from a joiners. Its just the UV light that kills them which is a good thing as it makes them somewhat biodegradable.

Amber €200 per tonne
    Doubles €200 per tonne
    Ovoids €300 per tonne
    Slack €150 per tonne
    Singles €175 per tonne

Cheers, so one tonne black diamond €210.00 nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Don't have a facebook account. Can anyone post up the phone number for these boys. Thanks in advance

Don't have a facebook account. Can anyone post up the phone number for these boys. Thanks in advance

02887740911 coal warehouse

04887740911 I couldn't get through on the 02887740911 number

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Use the 048 number, that 028 one doesn't work from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thanks a million guys

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

If I order 2 loads will I still just be charged 60euro or do they double it ?

DaraDali wrote: »

Its £45 per pallet and one load of one tonne on a pallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

DaraDali wrote: »

The delivery charge is per ton - ie per pallet space on the truck.

In fairness otherwise the courier couldn't do it at that price.

Advertisement