Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

pm. wrote: »
    If in doubt and you want the rads hot and not risk bacteria build up hot turn on the immersion every few days for an hour, that should generate enough heat to give terminal disinfection. But that's just my opinion

Like that would happen in real life, humans are anything but consistent.
    If you have the fire going for a few hours the water would easily hit 60/65.

How can you can say that for other people situations not knowing the capacity of the stove, the amount or type of fuel, the amount of draught or excess air, the hydrostatic head to the cylinder, the hydraulic resistance in the system, the pump capacity, the number of hours burned, the capacity of the cylinder, the btu of the radiators, the heat load of the house.

Your opinion is bad advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

how many black diamonds are there , and are they all the same .
    I know bordnamona do a black diamond and think hayes do as well , and now this coal warehouse have a cheap one.
    in the bags contents all the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

All the arm chair plumbers are out tonight I see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Like that would happen in real life, humans are anything but consistent.

How can you can say that for other people situations not knowing the capacity of the stove, the amount or type of fuel, the amount of draught or excess air, the hydrostatic head to the cylinder, the hydraulic resistance in the system, the pump capacity, the number of hours burned, the capacity of the cylinder, the btu of the radiators, the heat load of the house.

Your opinion is bad

For your average house.. Stagnant water favours Legionella growth. To reduce the risk you should remove dead legs/dead ends in pipe-work, flush out infrequently used outlets (including showerheads and taps) at least weekly and clean and de-scale shower heads and hoses at least quarterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry to be a big shlt-the-bed, but I'm looking for some advice that will no doubt prove unpopular.

This particular company have been mentioned (not by name) here;
    https://hardwareassociation.ie/fuel-smuggling-presents-serious-threat-to-hardware-stores/
    There’s now an active online forum which explains how consumers can ring a courier company based in Dublin and arrange collection of coal from a coal warehouse in Co.Tyrone. Customers are also encouraged to ‘like’ the Facebook page, and it now has 7,726 likes. The problem is that many consumers are genuinely unaware that, if they do not personally accompany solid fuel for their own domestic use across the border, they cannot import it without paying Carbon Tax.”

So the first thing I've been looking for was an answer as to whether this courier delivery thing was illegal and this confirms that it is.

My second question is related to the latter part of the quote.
    if they do not personally accompany solid fuel for their own domestic use across the border, they cannot import it without paying Carbon Tax.”

So does that means that if I do collect it myself, I can legally buy as much as I want? I cold probably get a hold of a van for a day and go collect some myself.

I'm getting a slack boiler installed next week so I'm trying to find the best place to get 2 tonne of slack/pea coal. I'll probably go through about 8-10 tonne a year so I want to get a good price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭insullation

wow 250 bags of coal a year - that must be close to 2 bags a day assuming you don't use it all year round...you should ring around distributors and look for a deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep you're right about the unacompanied importarion of solid fuel leading to carbon tax liability. It's on the revenue site.

TBH even the whole rigmaroll of having to organise your own courier sounds strange...... Anyways it probably won't be long before the tax man cops onto this and shuts it down.

wow 250 bags of coal a year - that must be close to 2 bags a day assuming you don't use it all year round...you should ring around distributors and look for a deal...

The slack burner will run constantly.

It will cost approximately the same in coal as it did in oil but I will have heat and hot water 24/7.

Not wanting to drag off topic but surely there are better solution if you only want hot water 24/7 - solar for example...you will have some soot from caol burner that and any neighbours may not be impressed...remember also smokeless is going nationwide - can you get smokeless slack I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm getting a slack boiler installed next week so I'm trying to find the best place to get 2 tonne of slack/pea coal. I'll probably go through about 8-10 tonne a year so I want to get a good price!

What are you going to burn in your slack boiler after the nationwide bitumimous coal ban comes into effect in 2018? Will it burn smokeless peas too?

• Advertisement

TTTT wrote: »
    What are you going to burn in your slack boiler after the nationwide bitumimous coal ban comes into effect in 2018? Will it burn smokeless peas too?

There are a number of smokeless options available but of course they are more expensive. Certainly not as expensive as getting the same level of heat via oil though.

I wud think the company in coalisland believe they have a clear conscience , because the consumer is actually arranging the collection themselves first .
    So if it went to court they will say that they sold the coal and the buyer collected it themselves .
    Of course the buyer is wrong as he does not accompany the coal across the border , but I suppose the only way they could be charged now is for the Revenue to raid the offices of either transport company or coal supplier and get details of all Republic buyers .

And theres 2 chances that will happen !

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

As long as the coal company is collecting the vat on the coal in the UK then Revenue can't touch them as the transaction takes place in the UK. Where it goes after that isn't their responsibility and carbon tax has to be paid at first supply in the state, i.e. by the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

screamer wrote: »
    Yep you're right about the unacompanied importarion of solid fuel leading to carbon tax liability. It's on the revenue site.

TBH even the whole rigmaroll of having to organise your own courier sounds strange...... Anyways it probably won't be long before the tax man cops onto this and shuts it down.

They Already have revenue went in to ace express yard and told them to stop bringing coal in from the north for delivery in the republic, hence thats why they are not delivering it anymore.

I supect thats why the coal warehouse is now using a courier company in the north so revenue cant go after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

5 bales of BNM bricquettes for €18 in b& q.
    Anyone try the BNM peat nuggets. They are €16k for 40 kg bag also in b&q but you can get 10% off with trade card or over 60,s card on Wednesdays

TTTT wrote: »

PS, are there any details of this ban? Do we have a definite date? Is it actually nationwide including rural areas or just extended to all towns?

They'll have some fun trying to enforce a ban like that to be honest. Wee farmer Joe way out in the wilds ain't about to start burning smokeless fuel without a fight! It'll be the water meter installation all over again!

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Atmosphere/AirQuality/SmokyCoalBan/News/MainBody,42814,en.htm - 2018 by the looks of it. It will be easy to enforce it...the importation won't be allowed so farmer joe may well be able to burn it but he won't be able to get it in the first place to burn

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Atmosphere/AirQuality/SmokyCoalBan/News/MainBody,42814,en.htm - 2018 by the looks of it. It will be easy to enforce it...the importation won't be allowed so farmer joe may well be able to burn it but he won't be able to get it in the first place to burn
    ...commence the process...

...consultation with the EU...

...our colleagues across Government...

...residential fuel market operators...

...My aim is...

...he expected this to be from the ‘heating’ season in 2018...

Bugger all set in stone then at that rate!

And as for enforcing, when the likes of this place in Tyrone are managing to sell UK coal in Ireland and avoid the carbon tax, why would they not be able to continue selling it and in fact increase their business because more people will be looking for cheaper equivalents to the expensive smokeless options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

That's the point I was trying to make but you made a great job of it... But it has to be said "you can't beat an auld fire"

Thats my thoughts on it too, i love the fire!

"Bugger all set in stone then at that rate!

And as for enforcing, when the likes of this place in Tyrone are managing to sell UK coal in Ireland and avoid the carbon tax, why would they not be able to continue selling it and in fact increase their business because more people will be looking for cheaper equivalents to the expensive smokeless options?
    DrPhilG is offline Report Post"

It would be illegal to burn it...the same way as its illegal to burn agri diesel in a car...revenue slapping a 5000 Euro fine on anyone in possession of it would stop if fairly quickly as is the case with agri diesel mis-use for example...I'm just warning you that's all...you might think that revenue don't have the will or the means to enforce something like this...trust me the revenue has serious powers and no haulier for example is going to import a banned substance over the border if there is a fear his truck is going to be confiscated for example as is currently the case if you are caught importing illegal cigarettes for example - its the same thing.
    As I say I'm just warning you...be prepared to have a plan b if you can't get smokeless slack or whatever type of coal you plan on burning in the future

• Advertisement

As I say I'm just warning you...be prepared to have a plan b if you can't get smokeless slack or whatever type of coal you plan on burning in the future

Thanks for the warning, but I have no intention of buying illegal fuel.

My first point in this thread was to say that I wouldn't be using the Coal Warehouse because it was illegal.

If and when new regulations comes in I will change from a mix of boiler beans and slack, to anthracite boiler beans. It will cost around €250 a month for 24hr heat whereas I currently spend €150 a month on oil for about 5 hours a day of use.

As a matter of interest do you have link to the system you plan on installing?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is it a ban on burning it or selling it?

Obviously banning selling with lead to the burning being phased out quickly enough

As a matter of interest do you have link to the system you plan on installing?

Don't have a link handy, but it's a Defro AKM Duo boiler.

I called them to confirm that it gets on well with smokless anthracite beans as well as the smoky ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Ban my h0le I'm going to enjoy getting a bargain and burning the smokeless in the fire,... God knows I pay more than my fair share of tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning, but I have no intention of buying illegal fuel.

My first point in this thread was to say that I wouldn't be using the Coal Warehouse because it was illegal.

If and when new regulations comes in I will change from a mix of boiler beans and slack, to anthracite boiler beans. It will cost around €250 a month for 24hr heat whereas I currently spend €150 a month on oil for about 5 hours a day of use.

Eh, not illegal if you go and get it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What coal would people advise to get when I will usually using a Stanley Cara insert stove and a Stanley range.I will be using a open fire as well but not regularly .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is coal warehouse still operating or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

yabadabado wrote: »
    What coal would people advise to get when I will usually using a Stanley Cara insert stove and a Stanley range.I will be using a open fire as well but not regularly .

for insert stove, use smokeless ovoids, last ages, little ash, great heat

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is coal warehouse still operating or...?

of course they still operating ,sure O Neills are a massive company with turnover in millions annually.

They paid compensation of €38 million in 2010 and never batted an eyelid :

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-12060645
    A Northern Ireland company has been ordered to pay a County Wexford firm 38.7m euros(£32m) damages arising from the Irish pork contamination scare.

O'Neill Fuels Ltd, in Coalisland, County Tyrone, were told to pay damages to Millstream Power Recycling Ltd, Bunclody.

Advertisement