Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Read through this thread and you'll save money. If you can buy bulk that is and have somewhere to store it etc.

Anyone else notice an increase in ovoids in the polish coal bags got from coal warehouse? Opened a bag today and there is more ovoids than coal:mad:

Seems like ovoids are dearer per tonne on coal warehouse site but don't rate them in open fire...I won't be buying the polish again, partly as the bag is full of dust and partly because it's full of ovoids and partly because for the extra €1.20 a bag I'll be buying the black diamond !

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

vicwatson wrote: »
    Seems like ovoids are dearer per tonne on coal warehouse site but don't rate them in open fire...I won't be buying the polish again, partly as the bag is full of dust and partly because it's full of ovoids and partly because for the extra €1.20 a bag I'll be buying the black diamond !

looking at Black Diamond, very tempted €10 for 40kg bag.

meathman0 wrote: »

It's great at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

vicwatson wrote:

Did you also find quite a few stones?
    I found some and the coal seemed to stick together in the fire.
    There is always unburnt lumps of coal in the fire in the morning, anyone else find this?
    Would the black diamond have these problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bossdrum wrote: »
    Did you also find quite a few stones?
    I found some and the coal seemed to stick together in the fire.
    There is always unburnt lumps of coal in the fire in the morning, anyone else find this?
    Would the black diamond have these problems?

I have that problem with polish coal also.

I was having that problem with the Polish too.

My last order was a split pallet of Polish and Ovoids. I mixed them up in the bunker so burn a mix with each bucket. Since mixing with the ovoids the heat is better and there is a huge difference in the amount of coal left unburnt each morning.

I wont be buying the Polish again, just going with ovoids from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Iv gone through just over half my polish at this stage, there is a fair bit of dust and smaller lumps in each bag and the heat off it is not as good as the Stafford stuff i was using last year if its just burnt alone. I have a big stock of pallets that i burn in the fire too which gets the water and rads piping hot in no time so the house is always at a nice temperature. Im using an open fire with a back boiler that heats the rads and water

Overall id say im definitely happy with it for 8 quid a bag, i haven't had to put the oil heating or immersion on once this winter. I might look at the black Diamond stuff next time though if its much better for not a whole lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

aaakev wrote: »
    Iv gone through just over half my polish at this stage, there is a fair bit of dust and smaller lumps in each bag and the heat off it is not as good as the Stafford stuff i was using last year if its just burnt alone. I have a big stock of pallets that i burn in the fire too which gets the water and rads piping hot in no time so the house is always at a nice temperature. Im using an open fire with a back boiler that heats the rads and water

Overall id say im definitely happy with it for 8 quid a bag, i haven't had to put the oil heating or immersion on once this winter. I might look at the black Diamond stuff next time though if its much better for not a whole lot more

I know the coal is great value but with the oil at an all time low would it be more economical? I bought just the ovoids before Christmas and they are way better than the polish, giving out more heat much longer lasting without the stones the next morning. But I find myself using the oil a bit more now tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

meathman0 wrote: »

Where did you see that pricr- I'm interested in buying, ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

pm. wrote: »
    I know the coal is great value but with the oil at an all time low would it be more economical? I bought just the ovoids before Christmas and they are way better than the polish, giving out more heat much longer lasting without the stones the next morning. But I find myself using the oil a bit more now tbh

Well a fill of oil was still around €400 or a little less around the same time as i got my coal, the coal including delivery was €220 so a good bot cheaper. I do like a fire though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OK guys in the know.

I have a 3 bed terraced house.
    Open fire with back boiler which is the sole means of heat,
    House is now 24 years old as is the back boiler, I have tried numerous combos of coal ~ Hardwood blocks ~ Briquettes ~ Smokeless coal ~ Cozy Glo etc.

Currently burning Columbian coal as I found it great last year,
    Mixed with blocks ? Briquettes

So far this year I have burned approx.
    17 bags of coal
    2 big trailors of blocks
    15 bales of briquettes.

When the weather is mild enough I have to open some windows a bit as it gets too hot.
    But when the weather gets colder is it is right now, the rads only get warm, the fire gets stuffed up trying to keep the heat in the house.
    I have debated over and over again about instaling a boiler stove but always put it off, I am not getting any younger unfortunately and do suffer quite a lote with pains. This year I have decided I am going to go ahead and install a stove.

Now, the room where the BB is in is the kitchen diner, which we baically use all the time as this is where the fire is lit. It is small so I dont want something that would be stifling in this room with heat and as a result would have to keep it not stoked up, would this result in cold rads or is it adjustable ?
    ie.
    Turn up the output to the rads etc?

Again.
    With regards to a stove.
    Based on not wanting this room crazy hot to have hot rads.
    Should I fit an inset stove

Fireline-Brand-Image1.jpg

or a standalone boiler one?
    I really like the look of a standalone stove set into the fireplace.

Gas_Flueless_Burley_Esteem4231_w400.jpg

Thanks for any help / advice.

Not sure this is the best place for advice, try the stoves forum ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320

some good info on stoves ect

definatly go ahead with the stove,
    you will also save on burning way less to heat your house in the stove than in the open fire
    it will pay for itself in a couple of years
    vectra wrote: »
    OK guys in the know.

I have a 3 bed terraced house.
    Open fire with back boiler which is the sole means of heat,
    House is now 24 years old as is the back boiler, I have tried numerous combos of coal ~ Hardwood blocks ~ Briquettes ~ Smokeless coal ~ Cozy Glo etc.

Currently burning Columbian coal as I found it great last year,
    Mixed with blocks ? Briquettes

So far this year I have burned approx.
    17 bags of coal
    2 big trailors of blocks
    15 bales of briquettes.

When the weather is mild enough I have to open some windows a bit as it gets too hot.
    But when the weather gets colder is it is right now, the rads only get warm, the fire gets stuffed up trying to keep the heat in the house.
    I have debated over and over again about instaling a boiler stove but always put it off, I am not getting any younger unfortunately and do suffer quite a lote with pains. This year I have decided I am going to go ahead and install a stove.

Now, the room where the BB is in is the kitchen diner, which we baically use all the time as this is where the fire is lit. It is small so I dont want something that would be stifling in this room with heat and as a result would have to keep it not stoked up, would this result in cold rads or is it adjustable ?
    ie.
    Turn up the output to the rads etc?

Again.
    With regards to a stove.
    Based on not wanting this room crazy hot to have hot rads.
    Should I fit an inset stove

Fireline-Brand-Image1.jpg

or a standalone boiler one?
    I really like the look of a standalone stove set into the fireplace.

Gas_Flueless_Burley_Esteem4231_w400.jpg

Thanks for any help / advice.

You wont go wrong with the stove, you also have to keep in mind that a back boiler stove will not emit the same heat as a non boiler stove probably 50% less output to the room. As above poster said they will pay for themselves in a couple of years

Also have a look at the thermostat, a lot of installers have the stat set to 50/60 degrees meaning that your hot cylinder will reach this temperature before your rad get any heat.. I have my stat set to 30 and find that the rads have great heat within an hour or so ( 14 rads in total some are double using a stanley erin )

if you are in a smokelss area the ovoids are brilliant but best with blocks. The polish also has good heat but you are left with a lot of stones the next day and its very smokey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

aaakev wrote: »
    Well a fill of oil was still around €400 or a little less around the same time as i got my coal, the coal including delivery was €220 so a good bot cheaper. I do like a fire though

1 tonne of cheap coal at €220 is about 7700kwh energy content with open fire and back boiler 50% of that is going up the chimney not to mention the unburnt stuff others have mentioned so cost is 5.7c / kwh delivered at best.

€400 will get you about 820l of kerosene = 8053kwh non condensing boiler seasonal efficiency ~ 85% gives you 5.8c / kwh delivered. Condensing boilder seasonal efficiency 92% gives you 5.4c/kwh delivered.

At current prices the cheap coal is 8.80 per bag plus 2.40 per bag delivery making it 280 per ton making it 7.2c/kwh delivered with back boiler and open fire.

Use the oil while you can people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

1 tonne of cheap coal at €220 is about 7700kwh energy content with open fire and back boiler 50% of that is going up the chimney not to mention the unburnt stuff others have mentioned so cost is 5.7c / kwh delivered at best.

€400 will get you about 820l of kerosene = 8053kwh non condensing boiler seasonal efficiency ~ 85% gives you 5.8c / kwh delivered. Condensing boilder seasonal efficiency 92% gives you 5.4c/kwh delivered.

At current prices the cheap coal is 8.80 per bag plus 2.40 per bag delivery making it 280 per ton making it 7.2c/kwh delivered with back boiler and open fire.

How about gas?

That's the point I was trying to make but you made a great job of it... But it has to be said "you can't beat an auld fire"

sword1 wrote: »
    How about gas?

Depends on natural gas / lpg, supplier, contract. LPG is always expensive as they have you over a barrel when they own the tank.

Flogas direct debit natural gas is 20% off at the moment if you switch 4.7c/kwh, old non condensing gas boiler is about 78% efficient so delivered cost about 6c/kwh. New condensing one maybe 90% efficient 5.22c/kwh.

LPG is about 10c/kwh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Vectra, I have an inset stove , non bolier, for the last 4 years and it is one of the best buys ever. Couldn't be happier with it. I've been using Black Diamond stove coal mostly and found it very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

You wont go wrong with the stove, you also have to keep in mind that a back boiler stove will not emit the same heat as a non boiler stove probably 50% less output to the room. As above poster said they will pay for themselves in a couple of years

Also have a look at the thermostat, a lot of installers have the stat set to 50/60 degrees meaning that your hot cylinder will reach this temperature before your rad get any heat.. I have my stat set to 30 and find that the rads have great heat within an hour or so ( 14 rads in total some are double using a stanley erin )

if you are in a smokelss area the ovoids are brilliant but best with blocks. The polish also has good heat but you are left with a lot of stones the next day and its very smokey...
    I often wondered this. I have a System Link on to my stove back boiler and my plumber had the stat set at 60. So I must give it ago and put the stat back to 30 to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

blowin3 wrote: »
    I often wondered this. I have a System Link on to my stove back boiler and my plumber had the stat set at 60. So I must give it ago and put the stat back to 30 to see how it goes.

check with the plumber before u do that,
    but dont think its a good idea having the stat that low,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,068 ✭✭✭✭beertons

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Vectra, I have an inset stove , non bolier, for the last 4 years and it is one of the best buys ever. Couldn't be happier with it. I've been using Black Diamond stove coal mostly and found it very good.

Same here. Wouldn't be without it now. I got a mix of smokeless ovoids and stove coal. Both mixed in the bunker, so I burn a mix every night.

GY A1 wrote: »

Why not ? just means the circulating pump will kick in quicker and the rads heat quicker... I think its pointless with the cylinder getting priority but suits some people to have hot water quicker. If you have the fire going for a few hours the cylinder will also get hot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ShamoBuc wrote: »

I have an inset stove too - brilliant. I am not getting any younger either, and as I am retired, I like to have heat all day. I also have gas central heating, but until this latest cold snap, I didn't need it - I run the stove 24/7, with it damped down at night, obviously. I have used various types of coal and I also burn logs. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Gardener

Why not ? just means the circulating pump will kick in quicker and the rads heat quicker... I think its pointless with the cylinder getting priority but suits some people to have hot water quicker. If you have the fire going for a few hours the cylinder will also get hot
    I installed a Stanley Erin some years ago and I remember reading in the installation booklet that came with it, that if the water in the cylinder is not heated to above 60 degrees there could be a build up of bacteria in the cylinder. As far as I know there is no other reason for the stat to be set above 60 degrees. However, I do the same as yourself and if I want hot water in a hurry I just pop the immersion heater on for a short while. Oh, and just to keep on topic, I use logs to initially heat the rads (plenty of flame) and nuggets to keep the system hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

GY A1 wrote: »
    Its not the stat on the cylinder its the one working the valve at the back of the boiler to get the system to kick in.

blowin3 wrote: »
    Its not the stat on the cylinder its the one working the valve at the back of the boiler to get the system to kick in.

Sorry forgot to mention that, the stat beside your circulation pump

60-65 degrees is to kill and prevent bacteria such as legionella from multiplying. At 32 degrees legionella thrives bad idea.

• Advertisement

60-65 degrees is to kill and prevent bacteria such as legionella from multiplying. At 32 degrees legionella thrives bad idea.

If you have the fire going for a few hours the water would easily hit 60/65.

If in doubt and you want the rads hot and not risk bacteria build up hot turn on the immersion every few days for an hour, that should generate enough heat to give terminal disinfection. But that's just my opinion

Advertisement