Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed-sits to make a come back

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

L1011 wrote: »
    Bit of an assumption to make that someone is christian in the first place...

I've to ask this question again - WHERE are the bedsits they're proposing to "bring back" - what landlord has been sitting on empty properties for a year?

They are all either converted to studios, converted to houses or still being rented illegally, that's where. There is no tap of supply to turn on.

Yeah I've seen some pretty woeful looking converted bedsits appear on the AH "Funny Apartments to Let" thread. Not much more than a bedroom with a hotplate on top of a fridge and a crudely build bathroom in the corner.

It's just pandering to the short term supply issue as they have to be seen to be doing something but there's not much they can actually do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

Are bedsits outlawed everywhere in Ireland or just Dublin? I know someone who lives in a bedsit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yorker wrote: »
    Are bedsits outlawed everywhere in Ireland or just Dublin? I know someone who lives in a bedsit

Studio apartments are fine. Well legal, anyway, provided they have exclusive access to a bathroom (which doesn't have to be contiguous with the rest of the facilities).

Bedsits, ie places with a combined living / sleeping / cooking space, and a shared bathroom, have been illegal in teh Republic of Ireland since ... mumble, google for the date if you need it. Fairly recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

But does 'bringing back bedsits' actually tackle homelessness?
    I would say no, unless the landlords of these bedsits are in some way forced to take rent allowance.
    Of the 17 lowest priced housing units in the whole of Dublin, all under 550e, only one makes no reference to 'no rent allowance'
    The attitude to people down on their luck has to change.
    This awful Daily Mail attitude seems to prevail. On another thread I saw a poster in receipt of RA advise a prospective new landlord not to rent to RA!
    And as for 'christian values', can you not do good and be a decent person for doing it, rather than it being your 'duty' because you are christian?
    And as for the person who said they would not help people with addictions (the bad homeless) er, well if that system fell into place i can only imagine the hell that would break loose. St. Stephens green would turn into needle park, and you'd all want gated communities with security.
    I'd say after 3 months of sleeping rough and no hope i can imagine anyone turning to drink/ drugs.

Studio apartments are fine. Well legal, anyway, provided they have exclusive access to a bathroom (which doesn't have to be contiguous with the rest of the facilities).

Bedsits, ie places with a combined living / sleeping / cooking space, and a shared bathroom, have been illegal in teh Republic of Ireland since ... mumble, google for the date if you need it. Fairly recently.
    this bedsit has bed chair sink. I think the toilet is just for that bedsit. are they allowed to have shared shower? It is a dump actually and the landlord should be ashamed of it but the guy needs it. You mean bedsits, ie places with a combined living / sleeping / cooking space, and a shared bathroom, have been legal till recently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yorker wrote: »
    this bedsit has bed chair sink. I think the toilet is just for that bedsit. are they allowed to have shared shower? It is a dump actually and the landlord should be ashamed of it but the guy needs it. You mean bedsits, ie places with a combined living / sleeping / cooking space, and a shared bathroom, have been legal till recently

No, there has to be dedicated cooking and bathroom facilities per unit.

They were legal til recently if pre-existing since before 1963 basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

zef wrote: »
    I would say no, unless the landlords of these bedsits are in some way forced to take rent allowance.
    Of the 17 lowest priced housing units in the whole of Dublin, all under 550e, only one makes no reference to 'no rent allowance'
    This awful Daily Mail attitude seems to prevail. On another thread I saw a poster in receipt of RA advise a prospective new landlord not to rent to RA!
    And as for 'christian values', can you not do good and be a decent person for doing it, rather than it being your 'duty' because you are christian?
    And as for the person who said they would not help people with addictions (the bad homeless) er, well if that system fell into place i can only imagine the hell that would break loose. St. Stephens green would turn into needle park, and you'd all want gated communities with security.
    I'd say after 3 months of sleeping rough and no hope i can imagine anyone turning to drink/ drugs.

Here's a radical idea. How about instead of forcing LL's to take in RA tenants or forcing people to change their "attitudes" - whatever that means - the State provides decent accommodation rather than relinquishing responsibility to the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Here's a radical idea. How about instead of forcing LL's to take in RA tenants or forcing people to change their "attitudes" - whatever that means - the State provides decent accommodation rather than relinquishing responsibility to the private sector.

I agree with you to an extent, according to the programme on the rental crisis last night, two thirds of Dublin council houses have been sold off. A ridiculously short sighted policy. I live in Dublin 15, and there are plenty of ex council houses for sale from 70k-135k, why don't the council buy them back, because putting up families in hotels is not a long term solution.
    My point above was in relation to the fact that only 1 out of 17 possible properties on the lower end of the scale 'may' take the RA. I would imagine that is very disheartening to people searching for accommodation. I know most people seem to have it hard, the 'squeezed middle' and the unemployed both.
    Innovation is needed around building new housing units, as many don't conform to the 2.4 kids & married parents needing a 3 bed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Food is as much a a fundamental need as accommodation.

Do you think that the state should be providing food as well, rather than relinquishing responsibility to the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Food is as much a a fundamental need as accommodation.

Do you think that the state should be providing food as well, rather than relinquishing responsibility to the private sector?

It does. It's called the dole. Recipients use it to buy food and other stuff.

Or are you suggesting food stamps? Or better yet, state run farms and factories to produce foodstuffs solely for the unemployed.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

zef wrote: »
    you have the cart before the needle there

Advertisement